Fun With Dick and Jane - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fun With Dick and Jane Reviews

August 10, 2015
The laughs are scarce and interest wains quickly.
½ July 30, 2015
This film has a strong first act, then loses itself in the second and third.
½ July 26, 2015
Fun with Dick and Jane is a good Jim Carrey movie, but it surprisingly lacks the amount of humor present in other "recent" Jim Carrey movies such as Bruce Almighty and Yes Man. On this second viewing of the film I found myself engaged in the story to the point that I was not necessarily upset that this movie wasn't was funny as I expected.

This movie has an unusually long first act for a comedy. Jim Carrey plays Dick Harper, who works at a company run by Jack McCallister (Alec Baldwin with an atrocious southern accent) and Dick gets promoted right before the company goes bankrupt due to McCallister's embezzlement, which no officials realize even though it is so obvious. The titular couple, Dick and Jane, has to deal with financial hardships since Jane quits her job after Dick's promotion, leaving no breadwinners in the house once the company Dick works for goes bankrupt. It may only take about half an hour, but it seems like a good forty or forty-five minutes for Dick and Jane to get to the point of the movie: the two of them robbing banks.

It is enjoyable to watch the couple go from terrible to expert level at the task of robbing money. The segment that deals with the first night Dick tries to rob people shows how pathetic Dick comes across to start, first stealing only a slurpee, then finding himself in weird situations while robbing other stores which includes helping an elderly woman to walk back to her car, and suddenly the excitement hits when the two of them rob a neon-lit shop once Dick explains they will get evicted the next day if they don't obtain the money.

It is humorous to see the two act like regular people in the process of robbing, one example being when they order specific drinks at a coffee shop while robbing the place.

The second half of the movie seems to go by really quickly, and we find the third act of the film to be more about getting back at McCallister than obtaining a large sum of money, which is a nice turn. When I first saw this film I assumed the couple would just run off with the $400 million McCallister had in his accounts, but Dick and Jane donating the money to the people who worked with Dick seemed a lot more fitting for the light comedy that it was.

Though the film could have used more humor and its tone could have been more consistent, Fun With Dick and Jane is a delight to watch since it is a great underdog story that is very easy to watch.
½ May 17, 2009
Frank Bascom (Richard Jenkins): Do you have any idea what I had to go through to get that form?
Dick Harper (Jim Carrey): No, let me guess, a fifth of SCOTCH?

I normally don't really care for Jim Carrey's style of humor but I have to admit that some of his films are kind funny but only when he manages to the keep the antics down the bare minimum. He has surprisingly good chemistry with on-screen wife, Jane (played by the always gorgeous Téa Leoni). Of course, much of the films appeal is because the likeable couple plays opposite an equally likeable villain like Alec Baldwin. Overall, the film was fun, interesting and came to a pretty satisfying conclusion. So, not a bad way to waste an hour and half of your life.
½ June 13, 2015
Absolutely better than I had expected!! it is rather good!
April 10, 2006
Not one Jim Carrey's best movies...
½ March 28, 2015
The sad thing here is that the idea is good but the movie failed in many ways, sometimes is overacting and the pace of the story is not good, much less funny. 3.5/10
March 21, 2015
Ihan ok komedia, vaikka en yleensä tykkää Jim Carreyn leffoista... (Suom. Taalat taskuun Dick ja Jane)
January 28, 2015
Jim Carrey is in his element but the movie barely rises above average. Full review later.
January 17, 2015
2015-01-17 kinda dumb but had its moments
March 10, 2009
I miss you Jim Carrey...
August 19, 2006
I miss you Jim Carrey...
½ December 20, 2014
Strange , but it was the first time i saw this , enjoyed it much....funny couple SOMDVD...nice extra's
November 27, 2014
Fun With Dick and Jane only somewhat lives up to its title: despite two good lead performances, the script isn't always as entertaining as it could be.
½ October 4, 2014
Perhaps one of the weirdest comedies especially for Jim Carrey. He hooks up with co-star Téa Leoni to rob a bank and to steal countless amount of cash to make a living. Carrey and Leoni play couple Dick and Jane Harper, a married couple who are left jobless and out of financial options until they turn money theft.

It's a silly movie and utterly plotless as the story of the loving married couple goes absolutely nowhere for the audience to pick up interest and satisfaction.
September 15, 2014
A modern satire on class struggle, Carrey fits perfectly in his role of emulating a struggling business man, providing quirky, consistent humor.
April 30, 2011
Funny as the movie is, but there are a few hard moments in the film about poverty. But those moments resolved into somewhat positivity. (C+)

(Full review coming soon)
½ January 10, 2013
The movie is definitely consistently amusing at the bear minimum, despite its amount of silliness. There are even some hilarious moments that make the film actually worth watching. Another great thing in the movie is of course the great Jim Carrey who shows once again how he is a uniquely silly yet lovable comedian. I indeed had fun with both Dick and Jane and think this movie got a harsher treatment than it deserved.
April 30, 2014
Full of gags... gags that are not that funny.
Fun with Dick and Jane is an insult to Bonnie and Clyde.
One of Jim Carrey's lamest performances.
April 26, 2014
Loved it because it is a comedy about companies like Enron, what they forced their former employees to do of desperation afterwords......It may be some truth in this comedy =)....