Futurama: Bender's Game - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Futurama: Bender's Game Reviews

May 10, 2015
A dungeon and dragon homage that didn't really make any sense, possibly the weakest of all the films.
½ December 1, 2008
Definitely a step up from 'The Beast With A Billion Backs'. It's not as great, story-wise, as 'Bender's Big Score' but it's pretty damn funny and that went a long way in keeping my interest. I dug a lot of the jokes, especially the bit with the hammers at the insane asylum for insane robots, and everything just seemed to flow better in terms of the different storylines coming together at the end. I'd definitely watch this a second time before 'The Beast With A Billion Backs' again.
October 19, 2014
This was my favourite of the four Futurama films but that may be because the fantasy and roleplaying references appeal to my personal interests so much.
October 1, 2014
As another entry into the Futurama canon, Futurama: Bender's Game was a definete viewing for me.

I can say with full confidence that Futurama: Bender's Game ties with Bender's Big Score for the title of finest direct-to-DVD films so far. For the fisrt half of the film it is largely a basic film, but it takes a different angle in the second half. It stands out as better because it is a very story-oriented film in the way that it establishes the political context of the universe as facing corporate corruption and rising fuel costs which gives it real-world allegory. Yet that is hardly the most important aspect of the story. Futurama: Bender's Game is great because it branches out into a fantasy concept. Parodying Lord of the Rings, Futurama: Bender's Game sees the heroes on a journey through a mystical land to fight the forces of Mom in witch form while continuously hinting at small elements relating to the popular game Dungeons & Dragons. The jokes in the film are fairly consistently good because they capitalise on the best humourous elements of many of the characters and the futuristic setting of the universe while also making a clever ploy at the mystical universe in the latter half of the film. The humour is great because it has a lot of clever visual ploys as well as edgy script moments, and while many of the jokes seem recycled, the story in the film manages to make up for that because it takes an all new angle for the narrative to focus on for once which comes off succesful. The numerous pop culture references are clever because it makes the story and the humour largely unpredictable, even if there are many moments where it proves to tread old ground. As a whole, it remains a fresh concept which keeps the material entertaining and transcends the quality of the preceding two direct-to-DVD Futurama films due to originality. As the story is all based around a fictional world within the universe of Futurama, it is not exactly that compelling and doesn't do too much for the characters which means that it is largely just an extended episode, but as a cheap and fun step in a different direction for the Futurama characters, it serves as lighthearted fun which is just what I wanted.
The design for medieval fantasy universe is really detailed and seems legitimate which gives the story a good front, as well as the fact that it has the same broad colour pallette and character design that fans of the series have come to expect over the years. The slight alterations for the designs of the characters to play into the medieval setting is convincing as well, so the animation is as good as ever. And the voice cast remain dedicated to the material, breathing a lot of comic energy into their roles which bring their spirits back again for this adventure. And the music is good as usual.

So due to an original plot and a lot of clevery parody elements, Futurama: Bender's Game is an entertaining addition to the Futurama story which leaves me enthusiastic about its future.
½ August 31, 2014
Bender's Game is possibly my favorite of the Futurama movies due to its strong connection to the essence of the original series. It, like the rest of the franchise, heavily relies on gags, a lot of which I think it pulls off because it feels like the original humor found in the show during its FOX days, not to mention its plot connections to Nibbler and his origins that actually make sense. If it had stuck with its dark matter ploy instead of making such a drastic change of setting halfway through, then I think it could've been better, but instead the shift into Bender's highly active imagination completely derails what had been set up, and simply puts the plot on pause instead of offering it anything to work with. Even if it was made with Gary Gygax in mind, there probably could've been better means of execution, but all that aside, there's a solid setup and conclusion, even if the Futurama randomness works better in the world it had already set up for itself instead of a mediocre parody of Middle Earth.
August 2, 2014
Though dozens of references are included, Bender's Game essentially amounts to Futurama's parody of Lord Of The Rings. Though significantly funnier than Beast, the story is stagnant at best. Overall, it's the second best of the Futurama films, all of which are hilarious.
½ June 12, 2012
Boring as hell and possibly the worst things to come out of Futurama's name. I dread the final fourth entry, to be honest.
½ April 23, 2014
While it's still not as good as the first one, it's about as good as the last one.
½ November 24, 2012
No other film has made fun of The Lord of the Rings as perfectly as this. It was fun to see Leela as a centaur, too.
January 7, 2014
This is a wonderful show, and movie but you really like after the 5th or 10th episode, of any season. It gets better I hope you understand that this is not the best of the movies so don't let this ruin your Futurama ! These are things that were alright in the movie is really kind of 'bleh', and it also a bit disturbing than the things like not anywhere near as good as 'in the wild green yonder' but it is alright. Enjoy please! ~Thank you c:
December 8, 2013
Not necessarily bad, but the worst of the four films
½ October 19, 2013
The 3rd Futurama movie. Nothing to really complain about - about as good as the other two, I would say
October 12, 2013
wow what a movie.....i have just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a brilliant movie 2 watch (I AM A HUGE FAN OF BOTH SIMPSONS/FUTURAMA as there both so brilliantly made)........its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie.....i think that lauren tom, katey sagal (from the brilliant tv series married with children/sons of anarchy), phil lamarr, snoop dogg, frank welker, play good roles/parts throughout this move.......i think that the director of this animation/sci-fi/fantasy/comedy movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.......im not sure which is the best futurama movie 2 watch as there all so funny 2 watch......i think that this is a really enjoyable movie 2 watch.......its such a good comedy/animation movie 2 watch its so funny to watch......im not sure which is my favourite futurama movie 2 watch because there all so good in there own ways as there all so funny to watch.....i think that this is so funny to watch im not sure which is the best character throughout futurama as there all so funny in there own ways......i think that this is a brilliant movie 2 watch.....i think that this is a great movie 2 watch its so really well directed/written/acted its got a brilliant cast throughout this movie.....i think that this is so really enjoyable movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie.....im not sure which is the best futurama movie 2 watch because there all so funny to watch its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.....i think that there all really enjoyable comedy/animation movies 2 watch because there all so funny to watch its so really well directed/written/acted its got a great cast throughout this movie....i think that there all really well directed movies 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie its so funny to watch its got some good animation scenes throughout this movie its so funny to watch theres loads of action/adventure scenes thorughout this movie there all really enjoyable movies 2 watch as there all so funny movies 2 watch
July 19, 2013
Decent movie. Not as funny as the past two, and the sojourn to the fantasy LOTR/Star Wars realm felt like a cheap plot device to turn a 1-hour movie into 1.5-hours. Hoping the fourth one is better.
July 14, 2013
Though very entertaining I find this one the weakest of the Quadrilogy. I like that they are trying out a completely different genre and I like how they make how they get to the fantasy world and how they get back to the real world asthetically paralell but there are some filler moments that felt unecessary. Every plotpoint fits together brilliantly but there are some elements that I feel are stretched way too long. For example there is a scene where Bender is in the robot asylum that I feel is made for the purpose of making jokes. What the writers didn't realize is that jokes don't make a funny scene. It's a funny scene that makes jokes. Nonetheless the fantasy world is very clever and they know how to really sattire fantasy as a whole without just making references like most of today's sattires. I don't like however that they make Leela a Centaur, Bender a Knight, Zoidberg a monster, Farnsworth a Wizard, Amy a promiscuous Nymph but Fry stays Fry. I mean I know that he eventually becomes Gollum from The Lord of the Rings but he passed through the dimensional portal between this universe and the fantasy world just like the rest of them. At least make him a Court Jester or something.
August 31, 2008
Dwayne Carey-Hill pulls a page from J.R.R. Tolkien to assemble Futurama: Bender's Game.Spanning the length of 4 episodes, this 80 minute piece of work goes fantasy with Dungeons & Dragons to trigger the spark for the rest of the movie. The writing comes across as a bit lazy and less original, which isn't exactly good news; however, the amusement level is still in existence.The comedy has its share of laughs, mostly in the film's final act when it decides to parody The Lord of the Rings. Fry definitely has his moments here. Actually, he has his moments everywhere.There are a lot of guest stars to provide voices for out of the blue characters, but it is the usual cast of Billy West, Katey Sagal, and John DiMaggio among others getting the job done.As a whole, Futurama: Bender's Game feels a little less like "Futurama," but that's okay.
½ April 5, 2013
It is an improvement over the second movie that Futurama offered, as in the second half of the movie, they take a unusual approach as the staff decide to put the entire Futurama cast they had in mind as if they were playing an actual game inside in an attempt to save the world from the evil clutches of Mom. Although it seemed to have thrown the Amy-Kif relationship reminder out the window for this movie.
March 24, 2013
Excelente aventura de los personajes favoritos de futurama que tienen que viajar desde el planeta express a infiltrar la unica mina de materia negra del universo conocido para poder seguir avanzando , no es una aventura memorable pero si futurama esta en la lista de programas de animacion que te gustan te vas a divertir.
February 27, 2013
First half as good as Futurama's ever been. Second half a string of bad D&D jokes based around the (mistaken) idea that taking these characters and slotting them into a silly fantasy world (instead of a silly scifi one) is funny.