67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

100% New Girl: Season 4
83% Sons of Anarchy: Season 7

Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life Reviews

May 29, 2014
it pays homage to France's raunchiest prince of pop --but behind the narcissism, self-indulgent behavior, and litrally the smokes and a swarm of adulating lovers is a talented soul who spent his life fighting to be more than just ordinary, to break out of the Juif mode. Eric Elmosnin has an uncanny resemblance to Gainsbourg and its really quite admirably done. Gainsbarre
billythemountain2003
August 1, 2010
A beautiful biopic of one of music's most colourful characters.
sleepykiss
May 10, 2011
Very surrealistic, loved the fantasy characters, but not very biographical.
October 12, 2013
a true masterpiece... Definitely a must-see movie... we need to praise the director for his delivery. btw, Serge Gainsbourg is one of the greatest...
August 1, 2010
Hurrah....at last a film I want to see....yay
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

July 4, 2013
Before there was a Serge Gainsbourg(Eric Elmosnino), there was a Lucien Ginsburg(Kacey Mottet Klein), who as a child during the Nazi occupation of France, shows up early to get his yellow star. Otherwise, his musician father(Razvan Vasilescu) wants him to follow in his footsteps but young Lucien has other ideas that involve an interest in painting, especially after an early encounter with a nude model(Ophelia Kolb). As an adult, he is still studying art, at least until he meets Juliette Greco(Anna Mouglalis), Dali's mistress, as his mind goes back to music where the money is.

As much as the spirited and sexy biopic "Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life" assumes the audience already knows about the work of the legendary composer and musician, it does not hurt the movie as it takes more of a psychological and expressionistic view, starting with the cool animated opening titles, as Gainsbourg is advised by his walking id(Doug Jones,) who also interacts with other characters, well into adulthood. That's when he gets to live the life he always dreamed of as a child with a panoply of beautiful women, and smoking cigarettes that make him look cool and which will also be the end of him. But if he could also make great songs like 'Bonnie and Clyde' with Brigitte Bardot(Laetitia Casta), I'm more than willing to look the other way.
June 30, 2013
Although GAINSBOURG tries very hard not to be a standard biopic, it totally is despite the presence of a really annoying "puppet" which is actually a man in a bad suit that looks like a stereotype of a Jewish rodent (this is intentional since the film purports to deal with the anti-semitism that Gainsbourg dealt with). The film is exactly like any Hollywood bio pic but unfortunately, they use little of Gainsbourg's actual music--so what is the point? They took this cantankerous fellow and examined nothing of his life or why is sometimes banal pop ditties are important. I actually love his music but the film never explores anything--not even the obvious, how did this ugly fellow get all those chicks! A few super things--Laetitia Casta, who plays Brigitte Bardot, is wonderful and never imitates but totally captures Bardot, Gainsbourg had a happy childhood with terrific parents, the hair and costumes from the 60s and 70s never look ridiculous like they usually do.
March 17, 2013
Arty, shot like a dream at times, flits between modern day and childhood. OK but not great. Forgettable.
February 23, 2013
Always nice to know the biography of the most charismatic french composer of all time. The movie is like his music, surprising at first but in the long run is a little boring. A small plus for the good performances, and some fantasy moments.
February 15, 2013
A recommended biography of Serge Gainsbourg!
January 4, 2013
Un petit bijou inattendu!
March 25, 2012
I really liked this movie's interpretation of the life of French pop star Serge Gainsbourg. The actor Eric Elmosnino looked almost exactly like Serge Gainsbourg. It was uncanny. Getting to know a little more about this French icon was intriguing and the usage of illustration/dream sequences really helped to break up the action at the most appropriate times. I highly recommend this film if you're looking for a good biopic, or French drama.
WARP
August 23, 2010
Should have been a classic but for me only slightly better than average
September 3, 2011
good bio-pic about one of the 60's great composers
October 14, 2012
I really liked the overall chronologic "flow" and style of the story, but many pieces of Gainsbourg's life were either glossed over or just thrown in there without introduction. However, the presentation does paint Gainsbourg as more of a "bohemian" and if events adhered more rigidly to the chronology of his life, I think that bohemian effect would be lost along with a part of the movie's magic.
August 9, 2010
acteur extraordinaire, une belle biographie d'un des plus grands génies de la chanson française
March 1, 2010
I enjoyed the film, I found it interesting but I don't understand the title. Has he saved anyone in his life ? Why is his life heroic ? DId he save himself from his inner demons ?
July 14, 2012
As a fan of his, I was excited about this movie.Sadly this movie did not live up to my expectations. The movie has a very interesting idea of showing his alter-ego have conversations with him, but besides that fact, thats really the most interesting thing about this movie.Every scene in this movie feels thin and extremely brief, which is a shame because they picked the perfect cast and they get the job done well. What this movie boils down to is a poor summary to his extremely interesting life. This movie is not awful by any means, but it could have been so much better.
Luis Fernando
August 25, 2012
Bueno he visto muchas peliculas y nunca habia tenido q ver algo como esto. Roza lo genial y es como un sueño caotico q muestra la "vida" y obra de este tipo q supo ser un maestro en lo q a musica concierne.. impopular, polemico y con un excelente gusto por la mujeres.. la peli te propone con su estetica y con su contenido meterte un viaje pleno XD