64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

87% The Strain: Season 1
79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Games of Love and Chance (L'Esquive) Reviews

January 2, 2014
Awesome film, what a great surprise! This films tells the story of a bunch of student forced to study an 18th century play by Marivaux. while the class is rehearsing reality come close to the play when Krimo falls for Lydia. It's a very smart film, very well done and brilliantly acted by a bunch of non professional kids that truly shine in this amazing film.
April 13, 2013
Un film sur les quartiers bien de chez nous. Ca crie, ca hurle des enchainements d'insultes a la seconde pour simplement se dire bonjour. C'est lourd !
gartsayshi@yahoo.com
January 24, 2013
I had several problems with the film L'Esquive. There were some good things about it, but there were some things I could not get past. All of the problems I had with this movie were because the point of the movie was to be real, but there were parts that were not realistic. The thing that bothered me the most was the incessant arguing. I have no problem with the fact that they were arguing, but the way it was done was wrong. I felt like either side in an argument were just throwing out words rather than actually responding to what the other person was saying. It became apparent during the argument between Lydia and Frida. I noticed it in the dispute between the shop owner and Lydia at the beginning of the movie as well. There were several other parts that this happened including the confrontation of Magali and Lydia's friends. There was no attempt at debate. It was just shouting, and it did not seem very real to me. The arguing was such a large part of the movie, yet to me, it was not done very well. I also think it lacked any emotional connection to the characters and the audience. It really never developed the relationships between any of the characters in the movie except Lydia, Nanou, and Frida. However, those three were constantly fighting so it was still difficult to interpret their relationship. The relationship between those three was one that they all looked out for each other. None of the other characters seemed like they were that close. It did not describe how they met or why they are friends, other than the fact that they look after one another, but it never explained why they chose each other to be friends, and not any of the other people. Therefore, the audience lacked a connection to the characters. As a viewer, I felt distanced from the people in the movie. I think many people would say it was boring because you, as a viewer, were not involved. I could have cared less about the outcome of the relationship between Krimo and Lydia. It accomplishes some good things in its cinema verité style, but it is poorly executed in the end.
August 22, 2012
A comedy? Really? Flat-out NO! This movie makes a serious point, that how we speak to one another makes all the difference in our lives; the difference between success and failure, the difference between easy relatedness and awkwardness, the difference between safety and violence, the difference between being locked-up (literally as well as emotionally) and being free.

LaCroix brilliantly contrasts the harsh argot of a present-day Parisian banlieue, with the artful, classical dialogue of Marivaux. And that scene with the police treating our beloved teens like serial killers? Those police are those same teens, only a few years older with adult responsibilities. What a revelation! Not to make too grand a generalization, but I now understand so much more about urban police than before.

Thank you to Abdellatif Kechiche and to everyone who contributed to this production. It was brilliant!
June 6, 2012
C'est loin de nous laisser une belle image de la France, mais ça tient quand même le coup. Même si ça nous donne le goût de nous balader en France avec une bouteille de Tylénol dans sa poche (NIQUE TA MÈRE! NIQUE TA MÈRE! NIQUE TA MÈRE!), l'effet ressenti est assez intéressant. Le film, en soi-même, recèle beaucoup trop de longueurs, mais je suppose que c'est là un peu l'effet recherché par Kechiche.

Toutefois, l'analyse de la pièce de Marivaux est assez sensée et l'interprétation qu'en font ces jeunes acteurs en dit long sur ce qui y est écrit entre les lignes. La fin m'a particulièrement plu. C'est loin d'être le pire film au monde, mais c'est encore plus loin d'être le meilleur.
shesdownbytheriver
shesdownbytheriver

March 28, 2009
No thankyou - Not interested
November 21, 2008
Les personnages D,abdellatif Kechiche sont envahis d'une telle colère, d'une telle agressivité, toujours sur le point d'exploser, de s'engueuler, mais contrairement à la graine et le mulet, on multipliait moins les gros plans et une trame narrative se dessinait dans cette chronique illustrant les quelques jours de la vie de plusieurs étudiants, tous plus chiants les uns des autres. Brillamment orchestré, quoique s'étirant un peu trop, le film demeure assez intéressant et captivant.
smitten3piece
August 21, 2008
c'est tres bon, ce film...

it s very intense, but very good... it s a good real-life french film
July 12, 2008
Sociologiquement intéressant... mais est-ce vraiment suffisant pour réussir un film???
February 13, 2007
Esh... I hate that one.
suggamom2006
August 16, 2007
Was't really fascinating!
July 11, 2007
Ótima direção geral, especialmente com relação aos atores! Peca por cenas com diálogos intermináveis.
frankjr19
June 23, 2007

ThisIsBest
April 1, 2007
it is right love is about game no one know if he is a loser or winner
DELETEDNOW
February 19, 2007
kool as man dis movie rulzzz
November 7, 2006
from what i've heard not the best quality film...
latinflower72
October 17, 2006
Great movie and foreign too!