Gang Related - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gang Related Reviews

½ May 8, 2015
A one time watch where the performance do the movie no justice.
February 7, 2015
A good Dirty Cop film. Belushi and Tupac really meshed well together which was both a comedic and dramatic treat to see.
½ June 20, 2013
interesting idea with a recycled 90's look.
½ May 28, 2013
tupac as a cop. not a very memorable story but it has tupac so its good
March 12, 2013
½ September 26, 2012
9/26/2012: Just ok. Nothing memorable or great about it.
September 15, 2012
Regardless of the review Bret Fetzer gives, I'll take Roger Eberts, "Thumbs Up"
June 29, 2012
lol wot gets mi is 2pac died in 1996 buut this was released in 1997 lol fuked up
June 13, 2012
the last pic from 2 pac,great movie
April 11, 2012
February 12, 2012
Jim Kouf's cynical LA crime-drama Gang Related does a lot of things technically wrong, particularly when it makes itself about its leading men, Jim Belushi (Detective Divinci) and the late Tupac Shakur (Detective Rodriguez). The film doesn't ask the audience to care about them and routinely steers our attention away from either or both of them and throughout the movie neither character seems to have progressed at all. But the movie does many things right, and I suppose one of these things was to alienate these characters from the audience. In Gang Related, Belushi and Shakur play a couple of dirty cops who have been running a scam where they deal cocaine and then kill their buyer, pinning the killings on gang related activity, but on their tenth try they end up killing an undercover DEA agent, which sparks an investigation, in which Belushi and Shakur are the lead detectives, that they try to pin on any poor soul -- and which settles on a helpless and homeless Dennis Quaid. Detectives Divinci and Rodriguez are by no means unrealistic. Shakur's Rodriguez (who is basically the same guy as Tupac the rapper except now he's a cop) needs the money because he is depressed, alcoholic, addicted to gambling, and in the hole by more than $27,000. Any other movie would be (sympathetically) about Rodriguez, but instead most of the movie revolves around Divinci, who is absolute scum and only ever explains the way he is by saying it's in his DNA. Apparently we aren't supposed to care about the protagonists. But that is what is curious about this movie. Every other character -- from the overworked ADA, to the hobo with the mysterious past, to the Defense Attorney played by James Earl Jones (nuff said) -- could star in their own movie, instead we are left to watch the comedic misfortune of Belushi and Shakur's heroes destroy them, which doesn't let us off the hook until the last scene. But then again, films and literature have experimented with narrative for hundreds of years -- Edgar Allen Poe made a career out of basing his stories on the perspectives of murderers. In the end, there is no point splitting hairs over what gang related could have been because what is unique about the film is what it is, and basing the movie from the perspective of any other of the characters would have been too small of a window into this tragic buddy cop film. In the end, it is its self awareness and its disregard for the audience that gives Gang Related a life of its own.
March 4, 2012
Believe it or not but this is actually a decent cop thriller starring Shakur and Belushi! two dirty cops trying to lie their way out of killing an undercover detective by framing a homeless man.

The premise is fine yet unoriginal but its handled well, both Belushi and Shakur play their roles well and you do get immersed in the tension as they get deeper in doo doo. You know what's gonna happen to be honest but its a fun ride watching it unfold.

Dennis Quaid plays the homeless man but I dunno why really, his role isn't really a big deal despite it being an important part of the story and Quaid seems to be sleep walking his way through it, I think this must have been his sparse acting period.

Surprisingly good thriller, Belushi shows he can actually play it straight from time to time plus Lela Rochon is scorchingly hot :)
February 15, 2012
This film will always be remembered as Shakur's last film as he was killed months before its release. With his final performance Tupac yet again shows what talent he had and what could have been. The story revolves around two cops (Shakur & Belushi) who are trying to cover up a murder after they kill an undercover police officer. Dennis Quaid is also on deck. A good story that maybe runs a little longer than it should.
November 14, 2011
good movie and the final perfromance by 2pac
½ February 19, 2007
Fairly dated yet pretty watchable. I think the main attraction for this film at the time was Tupac, but for me James Bellushi was the one that drove the film here.
November 24, 2010
great story, great acting from Tupac
½ August 9, 2010
nice idea and a pretty good movie
½ August 2, 2010
One of the best cop crime thrillers that I have seen in a very long time it is an excellent film.
June 1, 2010