Critics Consensus: Gangster Squad Is Style Over Substance

Summary

This week at the movies, we've got tough cops (Gangster Squad, starring Sean Penn and Ryan Gosling), a tenacious CIA agent (Zero Dark Thirty, starring Jessica Chastain and Joel Edgerton), and a bedeviled couple (A Haunted House, starring Marlon Wayans and Essence Atkins). What do the critics have to say? Back to Article

Comments

Jon Cox

Jon Cox

skipping the theater this weekend, nothing I want to see
next weekend: Mama and The Last Stand assuming they don't bomb

Jan 10 - 09:07 PM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Andrew Brinkerhoff

YES! That's the first thing that came to mind when I read that (that being said, I enjoyed Django).

Jan 10 - 09:54 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Sucks for Gangster Squad, the cast is great. I wonder how much this theatrical cut differs from the original one slated for last September?

Zero Dark Thirty is the obvious choice for the weekend, I will probably have to wait until next week to catch it, though.

Not sure what is worse; Friedberg and Seltzer making another spoof or the Wayans brothers going back to the mine they built.

Jan 10 - 11:12 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

14% for A Haunted House.

Jan 10 - 11:15 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

From what I read, they changed the an ending scene where a theater audience was gunned down from behind the screen. Other than that not much. Maybe some dialogue tied to that scene?

Jan 10 - 11:54 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

14% for A Haunted House.

Jan 10 - 11:15 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Jan 10 - 11:54 PM

Giovanni Chambers

Giovanni Chambers

Zero Dark Thirty is definitely a must see for me. I saw some parts of the Hurt Locker, and it looked pretty good. So ZDT would look just as promising as that, considering how talented the director is. Sadly, this is the only movie that is playing this week.

I wasn't expecting anything great about Gangster Squad, based on what I saw from the trailer. it looks like they were focusing solely on the violence, other than the story. Perhaps it looked like it was trying to be as good as The Godfather, which is impossible. Might as well have to rent it to see what I really think of it.

My prediction for A Haunted House would be 10%. It may have a little funny moments, but it proves how immature the Wayans bros still are. Their only good movie was the first Scary Movie, while their other works are garbage. When it's only Marlon Wayans, his only good movie was Requiem for a Dream, and that was more of a serious movie, too.

Jan 10 - 11:59 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I'm now thinking the delay for Gangster Squad had nothing to do with the shooting scene and everything to do with that it stunk and they wanted to release it when nothing else was out.

Jan 11 - 03:45 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

It wasn't really the violence in Django that bothered me, moreso when you dump it all into a relatively short area of film it loses it's impact and kinda becomes brain-numbing. I enjoyed the first 2/3rds of the film far more than the last part.

Jan 11 - 03:49 AM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

The violence didn't bother me. Violence can get way more brutal when it comes to movies. (For example, did you see the elevator scene in Drive?) And there was violence all throughout the film when you think about it. But yes, the third act is not as great as the first two acts. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the third act quite a bit.

Jan 12 - 07:04 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I approve of the use of torture to get information. You know, being a prisoner you do have options...like telling what you know BEFORE they start zapping your nuts with jumper cables.

Jan 11 - 03:57 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Does that mean it's ok if I waterboard you to find out what movies you masturbate to?

Jan 11 - 12:50 PM

Jonathan Edward O.

Jon Owens

Why would someone go out of their way to torture someone just to find out what their fap collection was??? I don't think that would save anyone's life

Jan 11 - 02:49 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

I agree.

Jan 12 - 06:58 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I think everyone needs to do some more reading about torture in the real world, and not from whatever action films they like to fantasize about:

Jan 13 - 06:41 PM

Scott Lewis

Scott Lewis

What's wrong with excessive amounts of violence? Read the news lately?

Jan 11 - 05:32 AM

Mark McKee

Mark McKee

Here we go. Let's blame the movies. Let me guess...it's the media not the guns?

Jan 11 - 06:36 AM

Dave J

Dave J

Except to say that more damage can be done with a loaded gun than with a knife!

Jan 14 - 12:52 PM

Diane Lindsey

Diane Lindsey

I think it's a lethal combination of Media, Guns, and yes mental health, that does factor in.

Jan 12 - 11:28 AM

Jeremiah V.

Jeremiah VanderHelm

I'm gonna go with 3% for A Haunted House. That's too bad about Gangster Squad, too. It looked pretty darn good.

Jan 11 - 06:04 AM

Mark McKee

Mark McKee

Here we go. Let's blame the movies. Let me guess...it's the media not the guns?

Jan 11 - 06:36 AM

Dave J

Dave J

Except to say that more damage can be done with a loaded gun than with a knife!

Jan 14 - 12:52 PM

Charles the Dudde

Charles Lee Duddestead

im going to go see gangster squad anyways.

Jan 11 - 06:42 AM

Apex Predator

Brian Clarkson

Haunted House gets 13 percent. Somewhere between White Chicks and Little Man in effectiveness. As far as gross, they'll do alright but nowhere near as well as Gangster Squad and Zero Dark Thirty.

Jan 11 - 07:33 AM

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

GANGSTER SQUAD doesn't even have enough style. This could've been a scott pilgrim dick tracy movie that would've made it better

Jan 11 - 08:14 AM

D.j. Nichols

D.j. Nichols

From what I've heard Zero Dark Thirty is a lot more story and character driven then it is propaganda. It's not like the movie is about Barack Obama.

Jan 11 - 08:21 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

That's what you heard. I had a top clearance in the military and I'm telling you its bullshit.

Jan 11 - 12:39 PM

King  S.

King Simba

12% for Haunted House. Not as bad as Epic or Disaster movie, but still pretty awful and an early contender for the razzies.

Jan 11 - 08:55 AM

Ramzi Kibbi

Ramzi Kibbi

im guessing 5% for haunted house it looks terrible

Jan 11 - 09:02 AM

Gene Bodyl

Gene Bodyl

I admit that I'm surprised and somwhat disappointed to see how rotten The Gangster Squad is. Of course, I'll eventually check it out but I expected a higher score than a 33%. Zero Dark Thirty is a must see!!! That is something I'll be watching this weekend. A Haunted House doesn't look funny at all and knowing how critics bash these films, I guess the tomatometer to be 4%.

Jan 11 - 10:40 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

It's a must-see as long as you don't pay for it. I'd rather have a dog fart in my face than see that bullshit again.

Jan 11 - 12:42 PM

Gene Bodyl

Gene Bodyl

Personally, I'd be ecstatic if I didn't have to pay for it. But it wouldn't hurt to use my college student discount on a movie like this again. I'm actually interested to see if this is actually good or is a pile of bullshit. I was not a big fan of The Hurt Locker so i don't know....

Jan 11 - 02:16 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Dude, you need to take a chill-pill.

Jan 12 - 06:59 PM

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Check out Boardwalk Empire

Historical TV Shows
Historical TV Shows

40 TV depictions of past eras

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer