Critics Consensus: Gangster Squad Is Style Over Substance

Plus, Zero Dark Thirty is Certified Fresh, and A Haunted House wasn't screened -- guess the Tomatometer!

This week at the movies, we've got tough cops (Gangster Squad, starring Sean Penn and Ryan Gosling), a tenacious CIA agent (Zero Dark Thirty, starring Jessica Chastain and Joel Edgerton), and a bedeviled couple (A Haunted House, starring Marlon Wayans and Essence Atkins). What do the critics have to say?

Gangster Squad

32%

Gangster Squad has a lot of promise: it's a true crime tale with a star-studded cast bathed in the dark shadows of film noir. Unfortunately, critics say the film is largely a case of style over substance, and beneath its stylish veneer lies a shopworn script and an excessive amount of violence. It's the late 1940s, and Mickey Cohen (Sean Penn) runs the Los Angeles underworld with help from a cadre of crooked cops. That is, until straight-arrow lawmen John O'Mara (Josh Brolin) and Jerry Wooters (Ryan Gosling) assemble a clandestine crew of LAPD officers to take Cohen down. The pundits say Gangster Squad looks terrific, and its actors inhabit their roles well, but its script apes older gangland classics without bringing much new to the table. (Check out this week's Total Recall, in which we count down Gosling's best-reviewed films, as well as our video interviews with the cast.)

Zero Dark Thirty

93%

The story of the CIA's hunt for Osama bin Laden was so dramatic -- and so fraught with political import -- that it required a great filmmaker to bring it to the screen. Critics say Kathryn Bigelow, who won a Best Director Oscar for The Hurt Locker, is up to the task, and Zero Dark Thirty is a pulse-quickening thriller that presents the nuts and bolts of the operation with complexity and smarts. Jessica Chastain stars as Maya, a young CIA operative who relentlessly pursues leads into the whereabouts of the terrorist mastermind, which eventually result in a raid on bin Laden's secret compound in Pakistan. The pundits say the Certified Fresh Zero Dark Thirty is an urgent piece of moviemaking, one that captures not only the milieu of driven professionals but also the national mood after the traumatic effects of 9/11.(Check out our interviews with stars Chastain and Jason Clarke.)

A Haunted House

10%

January is often a dumping ground for mediocre movies, and the lack of pre-release screenings for A Haunted House indicates that it's probably pretty bad. A Haunted House is a cameo-laden parody of found footage horror films like Paranormal Activity. Once again, it's time to guess the Tomatometer! (And take a look through our gallery of memorable 3D horror movies.)

Also opening this week in limited release:

• In Another Country, a dramedy starring Isabelle Huppert as three different women who visit a beachfront bed-and-breakfast, is at 80 percent.
  • Quartet, starring Maggie Smith and Tom Courtenay in a dramedy about the arrival of a famous opera star at a residence for retired musicians, is at 78 percent.
  • Uprising, a documentary about the pro-democracy protests in Egypt during the Arab Spring, is at 71 percent.
  • Fairhaven, a drama about a former high school football star who returns to his hometown, is at 56 percent.
  • Clandestine Childhood, a coming-of-age drama about the son of revolutionaries working to overthrow the Argentinian government in the late 1970s, is at 50 percent.
  • High Tech, Low Life, a doc about two bloggers that cover underreported news in contemporary China, is at 50 percent.
  • Storage 24, a sci fi/horror hybrid about a group of friends stuck in a storage facility overrun by extraterrestrial critters, is at 44 percent.
  • Struck by Lightning, starring Chris Colfer in a comedy about a recently deceased high school senior looking back on his recent misadventures, is at 32 percent.
  • Let My People Go!, a French farce about a gay man who moves in with his neurotic family after a series of mishaps, is at 29 percent.
  • My Best Enemy, a dramedy about a man who attempts to commandeer priceless artworks in Nazi-occupied Austria, is at 25 percent.
  • The Baytown Outlaws, starring Billy Bob Thornton and Eva Longoria in a comedy about a woman attempting to rescue her son from her violent ex-husband, is at 13 percent.
  • Horrid Henry: The Movie, a kiddie flick about a mischievous rascal whose failure to submit his homework leads to a series of wacky events, is at 10 percent.

Finally, props to George Patchell for coming the closest to guessing Texas Chainsaw 3D's 21 percent Tomatometer.>

Comments

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

7% for A Haunted House. I wonder how the Wayans Bros. feel about Scary Movie 5 also parodying Paranormal Activity. Too bad for Gangster Squad. I was looking forward to that one.

Jan 10 - 04:44 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Don't worry. Enough idiots will pay money to go see it. I'm sure the Wayans will laugh all the way to the bank.

Jan 10 - 07:20 PM

Dave J

What's wrong with "excessive amounts of violence"!

Jan 10 - 04:44 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Yeah, they liked "Django Unchained" which has far more violence then "Gangster Squad" is probably going to have.

Jan 10 - 04:47 PM

Mick Travis

Hey Matt: PIRATES BAND OF MISFITS got an Oscar nomination, woohoo!

Jan 10 - 06:04 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Yep, I hope it wins Pirate Movie of The Year Award!

Jan 10 - 06:45 PM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Andrew Brinkerhoff

YES! That's the first thing that came to mind when I read that (that being said, I enjoyed Django).

Jan 10 - 09:54 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

It wasn't really the violence in Django that bothered me, moreso when you dump it all into a relatively short area of film it loses it's impact and kinda becomes brain-numbing. I enjoyed the first 2/3rds of the film far more than the last part.

Jan 11 - 03:49 AM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

The violence didn't bother me. Violence can get way more brutal when it comes to movies. (For example, did you see the elevator scene in Drive?) And there was violence all throughout the film when you think about it. But yes, the third act is not as great as the first two acts. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the third act quite a bit.

Jan 12 - 07:04 PM

Scott Lewis

Scott Lewis

What's wrong with excessive amounts of violence? Read the news lately?

Jan 11 - 05:32 AM

Mark McKee

Mark McKee

Here we go. Let's blame the movies. Let me guess...it's the media not the guns?

Jan 11 - 06:36 AM

Dave J

Except to say that more damage can be done with a loaded gun than with a knife!

Jan 14 - 12:52 PM

Diane Lindsey

Diane Lindsey

I think it's a lethal combination of Media, Guns, and yes mental health, that does factor in.

Jan 12 - 11:28 AM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Jan 10 - 04:47 PM

Mick Travis

Hey Matt: PIRATES BAND OF MISFITS got an Oscar nomination, woohoo!

Jan 10 - 06:04 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Yep, I hope it wins Pirate Movie of The Year Award!

Jan 10 - 06:45 PM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Jan 10 - 09:54 PM

Jason H.

Jason Huang

YES. ZERO DARK THIRTY. one of the best of this year.

Jan 10 - 04:49 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

Probably a 10% on A Haunted House, but they did good on parodying Paranormal Activity 4 and The Devil Inside.

I can't wait for Zero Dark Thirty. I hope it should win Best Picture at the Oscars.

Jan 10 - 04:50 PM

Mick Travis

Zero Dark Propaganda better NOT get Best Picture; don't believe a word of it, seriously. At least Reifenstahl wasn't nominated.

Jan 10 - 06:03 PM

D.j. Nichols

D.j. Nichols

From what I've heard Zero Dark Thirty is a lot more story and character driven then it is propaganda. It's not like the movie is about Barack Obama.

Jan 11 - 08:21 AM

Mick Travis

That's what you heard. I had a top clearance in the military and I'm telling you its bullshit.

Jan 11 - 12:39 PM

Dave M.

Dave Mart

I thoroughly agree with you. Kathryn Bigelow is a modern Riefenstahl.

Jan 11 - 01:31 PM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

As much as I want to see ZD30, I hope "Lincoln" wins as many awards as it can. Spielberg is amazing, regardless of age.

Jan 11 - 01:47 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

I say Lincoln is overrated.

Jan 11 - 04:05 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Uh-huh. You had top clearence in the military. Sure. I'll just go back to believing everything I read on the internet.

Jan 13 - 01:36 AM

John H.

John Hurson

If I'm reading this correctly, Gangster Squad's biggest sin is that it doesn't feature a fresh take on classic gangster cinema. Considering that the majority of today's audiences are probably completely unfamiliar with the films Gangster Squad is failing to improve upon, I really don't see how that's a valid concern.

Jan 10 - 04:56 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Wow. I've been trying to dredge up some enthusiasm for "Gangster Squad", because I haven't been too impressed with the trailer. Well, I'm just glad I'm not alone.

"Zero Dark Thirty" is a must-see for me, and partly so I can see the validity of its torture portrayal as it's been reported recently. It will definitely be a mark against it if it tried to claim that torture was effective in naming Bin Laden's courier when the vast majority of intelligence professionals have claimed it wasn't in reality. I'm assuming this was one reason why Bigelow got a last minute Oscar snub. Plus, I wasn't the biggest fan of "Hurt Locker" anyway, a film with the theme 'war is a drug' that refused to indict the drug-dealer.

I'll also look forward to catching Sang-soo Hong's "In Another Land" and "Clandestine Childhood" when I can.

Why couldn't the IRS just confiscate "Haunted House" and let Katt Williams go free? Oh, because maybe crazy Katt would just make more stupid comedies? OK. Fair enough.

Jan 10 - 05:03 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

As an intelligence professional I find some of the opinions that have been given to be very interesting. I agree with you, most people in the intel community say torture is ineffective, especially in cases like Bin Laden's, but so many of the talking head intel professionals you see on the news have no reason to have specific insights into the Bin Laden case. Information like that is highly compartmentalized and unless you have a need to know, you don't know more than your average citizen. Fox News is particularly guilty on this front. In reality there are probably only 7 or 8 people qualified to make an informed statement on the facts of that particularly case and how the torture/interogation techniques involved effected it. Maybe 2 dozen if you count people still involved with the govt who are legally forbidden from talking about it. It's a major problem with the media's coverage of the intel community. The people who really know aren't allowed to talk about it or are listed as unnamed sources. So they get these random LT's and Maj's who the news folks employ because your average civilian thinks have credibility to offer their opinions as fact. Don't misconstrue this as me saying torture was a key factor or worse that torture is good. Just saying, I don't know and I doubt many of these "professionals" do either. I think in general terms torture and waterboarding in particular aren't effective in strategic operations. The only case I've ever seen where torture clearly led to quality actionable intel was the case in Iraq where the Marine questioned a captured insurgent and when the guy wouldn't talk about the emplacement of the enemy forces the Marine fired off a couple rounds from his 9mm really close to the guys ear and he gave up information that probably saved a lot of his guys lives. Situations like that are the exception though rather than the norm and that Marine LTCOL is no longer a Marine BTW.

Jan 10 - 05:44 PM

Janson Jinnistan

What I've read is that Leon Panetta sent a letter to John McCain, who had inquired on the issue, that assured him that although some information was collected through the "EIT", the name of Bin Laden's courier was given by a prisoner PRIOR to his being subjected to it. And, that Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, during one of his many waterboarding sessions, actually denied the importance of the courier when his name was brought up.

I won't judge the film based on any of this, and in fact, I think it's made me more excited to see it just so I can put it to rest. Thanks for your info and perspective.

Jan 10 - 06:05 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Yeah, McCain has a pretty interesting perspective on it being a POW himself back in Vietnam. I just don't want anybody listening to LT Schmuckatelli on Fox and taking his word as gospel. Those guys are to intelligence what the professors on the History channel are to science.

Jan 10 - 06:33 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Dude, that guy with the crazy hair and spray on tan knows the truth about the alien architects. Thats hardcore science there.

Back on topic. I wonder how much torture we outsource? We outsource much of our military complex now and hire firms that "represent" the U.S. military. These firms then hire shady characters from past conflicts in the Balkans, South America, and South Africa. Troubling indeed.

Jan 10 - 08:09 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I approve of the use of torture to get information. You know, being a prisoner you do have options...like telling what you know BEFORE they start zapping your nuts with jumper cables.

Jan 11 - 03:57 AM

Mick Travis

Does that mean it's ok if I waterboard you to find out what movies you masturbate to?

Jan 11 - 12:50 PM

Jonathan Edward O.

Jon Owens

Why would someone go out of their way to torture someone just to find out what their fap collection was??? I don't think that would save anyone's life

Jan 11 - 02:49 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

I agree.

Jan 12 - 06:58 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I think everyone needs to do some more reading about torture in the real world, and not from whatever action films they like to fantasize about:

Jan 13 - 06:41 PM

Dave J

Actually, there was a great discussion about "Zero Dark Thirty" on Charlie Rose the other day and according to them, they all agreed that the film is more accurate than most docu dramas "for" the film neither condones torture tactics nor do they promote it- they also said that history in films particularly "Battle Of Algiers" another docu-drama based on fact "torturing terrorists" did work on one particular case!

One more thing, Leon Panetti is also denouncing the SEAL team memmber's claim about how Osama bin Laden was killed who wrote a book about it!

Jan 11 - 12:28 PM

Mick Travis

Of course this was the same asshole who said "ZERO TOLERANCE" a million times when it came to covering up the military rape culture. And you still believe this asshole?

Jan 11 - 12:41 PM

Dave J

I'm not saying that I believe in anything what anyone is saying! All I'm saying is that they're several different perspectives about "Zero Dark Thirty's" accuracy! The rape in the military has nothing to do with the capture and assassination of Bin Laden- they're about two different things! I mean rape also occurs in America as well particularly in college capuses too and not just in the army!

Jan 11 - 12:51 PM

Mick Travis

Let's put it this way: when the Inspector General says we have "higher priorities" than the 2600 sexual assault cases not reviewed, then it makes me think that ZDT was one of those "higher priorities." After all, the Panetta did work directly with Boal & Bigelow, sharing classified information with people who have no business whatsoever in the Pentagon. Look, the truth is when civilians are denied the same access to the same information, it's ridiculous. You call the rape culture and the accuracy of ZDT two different things: one is about the justification of torture, a violation of human rights, while THE INVISIBLE WAR is all about the human rights of our veteran survivors. The Pentagon cared more about finding bin Laden (and cinematically excusing themselves from war crimes) than taking care of the rape problem in the military. THAT'S BULLSHIT!

Jan 11 - 03:03 PM

Dave J

No Mick that is incorrect Panetta did not work with Boal and Bigelow to make "Zero Dark Thirty"- it was the operatives working under Panetta that the film was based on! As a matter of fact, Panetta labelled the film as fiction and not based on fact!

I also think you're kind of looking at the big picture without considering the fact that they're several other complaints and cases to consider which are just as bad as the unresolved rape cases that occur in the military such as keeping the mental unstable veterans on the battlefield and friendly fire, for instance because rape is not the only problem that exists in the military for they're other complaints that are not addressed!

Now, let's look at this point of view, let's say you're correct about the 2600 cases of rape occuring in the military should be addressed first before looking for America's worst terrorist as top priority, does that mean we as a nation have to stop movies and everything everyone is doing, and just focus on those complaints first even though to kill Bin Laden and his associates was the main reason America went to war in the first place- of course not! That the 2600 cases should be looked at first out of more than a million soldiers employed to look for Osama Bin Laden and his cronies which declared war against America when they were responsible for more than 3,000 lives- isn't that too extreme out of more than a million soldiers including soldiers from the U.K. and Canada!

When rapes happend in Vietnam, did any gov't or high official addressed that too- of course not and what makes this film anymore different than all those other films about Vietnam such as "Hamburger Hill" and "Apocalypse Now" that do not address other issues! What you're saying is that Hollywood should not be allowed to make different type of war films unless those other 'ethic' and 'moral' complaints are addressed first? Aren't you restricting the whole purpose about why people go to the movies in the first place? Did "Full Metal Jacket" address the rape issue? Or Apocalypse Now address the rape issue- of course not!

Jan 11 - 03:49 PM

Dave J

I also don't think Bigelow was really snubbed for she may have not got enough votes as opposed to other films!

Jan 11 - 12:31 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Not surprised by the reaction to Gangster Squad. I thought the previews looked a little too glossy. With a cast like that, in a story like this, you need some grit. Untouchables style. I will wait for the home release to make my final verdict I think.

Jan 10 - 05:21 PM

D.j. Nichols

D.j. Nichols

Jan 11 - 08:21 AM

Jan 11 - 12:39 PM

Dave M.

Dave Mart

I thoroughly agree with you. Kathryn Bigelow is a modern Riefenstahl.

Jan 11 - 01:31 PM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

Jan 11 - 01:47 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

I say Lincoln is overrated.

Jan 11 - 04:05 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Jan 13 - 01:36 AM

Mick Travis

Hey Matt: PIRATES BAND OF MISFITS got an Oscar nomination, woohoo!

Jan 10 - 06:04 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Yep, I hope it wins Pirate Movie of The Year Award!

Jan 10 - 06:45 PM

Jan 10 - 06:05 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jan 10 - 06:33 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Jan 10 - 08:09 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jan 10 - 06:33 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Yep, I hope it wins Pirate Movie of The Year Award!

Jan 10 - 06:45 PM

BMS1234

brandon sideleau

4% for A Haunted House...looks really, really stupid...and not funny stupid, just stupid stupid. What is even more frightening is that it STILL looks better than Scary Movie 5...what a wretched pair of "spoofs" (where is Naked Gun when you need it). I had bad feelings regarding Gangster Squad when they dropped it in January (just as I have bad feelings about the quality of Good Day to Die Hard given it's dismal release date).

Jan 10 - 07:14 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Farts are funny. I bet there's farts in it. And boobies, labda labda labda (thats my motor boat sound...)

Jan 10 - 08:04 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Jan 10 - 07:20 PM

tyswade

Tyler Slocum

I'm going for something around Vampires Suck and say 5% for Haunted House.

As for Gangster Squad, yeah it's disappointing but if the biggest problem is its violence, big deal. I've seen far worse, the cast looks wonderful, and I'll still make sure to catch it this weekend (for the cheap matinee price, that is ;P). And I need to find time for ZDT as well. Been waiting for it ever since it had its limited release.

Jan 10 - 07:52 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Jan 10 - 08:04 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Jan 10 - 08:09 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office