Garage Days Reviews

½ June 20, 2007
Imagine Trainspotting developed into a network TV show, then sold to HBO at the last minute so they could add swearing.

Also the tag line, "what if you finally got your big break, and you just plain sucked?" totally spoils the movie. Imagine the tag line for planet of the apes being "what if you found a planet inhabited by monkeys, and it turned out it was Earth?"
deano
January 31, 2007
Spectacular Aussie comedy on sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. Pia Miranda's cool in her 'angry management' performance.
Harlequin68
½ March 19, 2005
[font=Century Gothic][color=darkorange]Alex Proyas is mostly known for being a director of such cool fantasy films as "The Crow" and "Dark City". So, it would seem like "Garage Days" is quite a departure for him because it is a relatively modest film about a wanna-be rock band in Sydney, Australia. But when I thought about it, it didn't seem like that different a movie after all because the characters are having this rock and roll fantasy. Even more telling is that Proyas cannot get away from using digital effects.[/color][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][color=#ff8c00]"Garage Days" is almost a good movie. It has a likable, young cast playing the band members but there is too much going on that has little to do with the actually playing of music.(We really don't get to see them playing until the end of the picture or ever know what the name of the band is. The first thing anybody always comes up with is the name of the band.) That's where the movie derails - some of the plot strands work, but one is frankly bizarre and another suffers from every romantic cliche in the book. I liked the ending, even though there is a deus ex machina lurking in there somewhere. [/color][/font]
½ July 8, 2010
May 12, 2010
Awesome as long as you can understand Aussie accents and/or read CC quickly. Definitely one of my all-time favorites.
September 20, 2008
I stumbled upon this film on IFC when I was bored, looking for a movie. I missed about 15 minutes of it but what kept me on the channel was the song. I think the soundtrack is the best thing about this movie. Besides having a few laughs in between.
The movie is about a band that isn't that good but still living the dream of making it big. They all love each other and are just trying to make it big.
The dinner scene with her parents was pretty funny and I'm still confused, was the girl taking a bath in blood real or not?
Anyways, if you stumble upon this movie I say give it a go!
June 21, 2008
Fun, stylish, Aussie flick about about the long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll. Great eclectic cast and very clever direction.
½ May 31, 2007
One of those movies that just make you want to pick up a guitar and start a band and be something in the music industry.
½ June 17, 2013
Really just not a good film.
½ April 3, 2013
What's with the bad tomatometer score for this one? If you're a rock music fan- this movie is a must see!
½ July 11, 2012
This is actually pretty good.
June 26, 2011
This is a stylish fun comedy with a smidgen of real life drama that makes the film rounded and enjoyable. Proyas comes from a line of outstanding dark, lavish, and artistic films (suck as Dark City and The Crow). His style is sprinkled all over this film with portions receiving a bit more style than others. Check it out!
April 3, 2011
The movie is enjoyable and fun to watch.
December 16, 2010
drugs and craziness if thats' rock n roll....
½ July 8, 2010
57/100. The appealing young cast and likable characters lift this rather ordinary Australian comedy. There is some good music and the photography is occasionally creative. It does wear thin after about an hour, and not all the humor works, but not too bad in general.
April 11, 2010
(***): Thumbs Up

Small thumbs up for this one. I had some fun with it even though it was rather predictable. It reminded me a lot of a film called The Commitments (which I consider to be a very good film).
July 23, 2007
[size=3][font=Times][color=white][b][i][color=darkorange]November[/color][/i][/b] 5/10[/color][/font][/size]

[font=Times][size=3][color=white]I don?t know what to think about this. I understood the concept of what they were trying to do with the story but I felt the execution of it was kind of poor. [/color][/size][/font]

[size=3][font=Times][color=white] [/color][/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Times][color=white][b][i][color=darkorange]Bubble[/color][/i][/b] 6/10[/color][/font][/size]

[font=Times][size=3][color=white]A little slow at times, Damn gorgeous to look at.[/color][/size][/font]

[size=3][font=Times][color=darkorange] [/color][/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Times][color=white][b][i][color=darkorange]You Kill Me[/color][/i][/b] 7/10[/color][/font][/size]

[font=Times][size=3][color=white]Funny. Quirky. Original. [/color][/size][/font]

[size=3][font=Times][color=darkorange] [/color][/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Times][color=white][b][i][color=darkorange]Transformers[/color] [/i][/b]7/10[/color][/font][/size]

[font=Times][size=3][color=white]Damn awesome! AWESOME! The teenage love crap is annoying, though. But, oh my god! AWESOME! the CGI = AWESOME! the hotties = AWESOME! the whole movie = AWESOME!!!!! but what happened to jon voight and his big ass gun? and hot aussie girl?[/color][/size][/font]

[size=3][font=Times][color=white] [/color][/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Times][color=white][b][i][color=darkorange]Garage Days[/color][/i][/b] 4/10[/color][/font][/size]

[font=Times][size=3][color=white]Kind of funny. Not really my bag, though.[/color][/size][/font]

[color=white][/color]
½ September 11, 2005
Garage Days (2002) ? ?Twenty years ago, a groupie would?ve washed my undergrounds for free just to sniff ?em. Ah, the memories. Now I hang around here for hours every laundry day prayin? the blonde with the double 7 fun bags will show up so I can watch her unmentionables flip-flop around in the fuckin? dryer.? ? Kevin (Lead Guitar Player?s Dad)

A group of rockers try to find a place to play in a dwindling market as DJs and slot machines (Pokies) slowly take over traditional music venues. Through a stroke of luck, Freddie, their lead singer, makes connections with a big-time promoter who could get them the break they're looking for.

The Australian made film by Alex Proyas uses the band?s story as a backdrop for exploring relationships among the band members and a few of the key relatives. I had a hard time understanding that at first as I tried to track the ?small band gets their big shot? story line, but that track was so implausible that I nearly gave up on the film until I realized what it was really about. Once I focused on the inter-relationships, I was fine and the movie just got better and better. You?ll see what I mean when you watch the part in the film called ?Fun with Drugs ? Part 2.? That was so funny that I had to run and get my roommate and watch it again.

Oh, I wanted to mention that they do some neat things with super-slow motion and graphics. It's really cleverly filmed. If you decide to see this one, be sure to watch the film all the way through the credits. During the credits, there?s a mini-movie ?curtain call? that?s simply priceless.
½ April 12, 2005
Since "Dark City," I became a fan of director Alex Proyas. He also directed the Brandon Lee vehicle "The Crow" and, most recently, "I, Robot" with Will Smith. I was just curious what he would do with a film about a band. The premise of the film is at least kinda different. It's about a band who finally got their big break to perform in front of thousands of people in big concert, but they found out that they just plain suck. The male and female members of the band end up swapping relationships with each other, like soap operas. There are attempts at humor, but most of it aren't funny. The movie is nicely filmed in colorful tints, sectioned off like a Tirantino flick with chapter headings, and edited with quick cuts. It's more of an exercise in editing and technique. Beyond that, there's nothing much here.
Harlequin68