—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Gattaca Reviews

John M

June 6, 2008
An amzing sci fi classic. Hawke and Thurman shine. The whole idea of gene manipulation in the future is such a scary storyline.
Wildaly M

May 16, 2007
Little known film with big actors and an intriguing story-line.
Adriel L

June 14, 2012
The human spirit can't be broken; you cannot quell dreams. Brilliantly shot science-fiction film compounded with fantastic human drama, as well as the scintillation of a thriller; intrigue and intelligence form its well written plot. It is more an allegory of brilliant human dram than science-fiction flick, and that is where it stands well.
Ping C

April 10, 2012
I'm a big fan of the subtext of the film - it compellingly illustrates how a tragic a society that employs eugenics would be. But, to boot, the story is well put together and features stunning cinematography. The performances by Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, and Jude Law, while a bit cold, fit well with the noir-ish style of the film. Not to mention the costume and set design is an unabashed homage to the modernist era that pre-dates Mad Men by over a decade.
garyX
garyX

November 7, 2006
In a future society where a person's worth is judged by their designer genes, a would-be astronaut forms an illegal partnership with a crippled Olympic athlete to cheat the system but they are threatened with exposure when the mission director is murdered. Gattaca is one of those thoughtful, concept sci-fis that trades special effects and action sequences for ideas and a commentary on the human condition. Gattaca is set in a world where our status is defined by the quality of our genes and explores the idea postulating that a person's dreams and ambitions can make us more than the physical shells we inhabit. Its elegant visuals reflect the society of perfection it represents and the fine performances by Hawke and Jude Law make for a moving and engaging story of a symbiotic relationship between an individual society has shunned and its arrogant, embittered "elite", who finds different pressures in his need to be seen as flawless. Add a beautiful score and an intelligent, thought provoking script and you have the kind of science fiction I wish there was more of.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 21, 2011
Gattaca is a very interesting Sci Fi drama. This is an underrated film with a compelling premise. In a futuresque dystopian society, mankind is dedicated to having the perfect society. Using DNA testing people are tested and are tested to see if they'll grow up to be perfect. If they're not, they are deemed "in-valid" and have no life opportunities. But if they're deemed perfect society, they are part of an elite group of men and women who have all the opportunities. Enter Vincent, an imperfect human, who is deemed an "in-valid". Vincent seeks to beat the system to realize his dream of traveling in space. With the help of a valid human, Vincent seeks out the achieve his goal. Gattaca is an incredible film with a wonderful cast of talented actors. The themes explored in this film can easily be seen as a metaphor for today's society. I thought that it was very close to home. This film can be very inspiring to people that have led a hard life in trying to accomplish their dreams. People can relate to the main character, and it's one of the strongest aspects of this film. Gattaca is a brilliant story, and though it's not perfect, there are a lot of great elements in this film to truly make it a memorable film to watch. Gattaca is a well crafted Sci Fi drama film that has a lot of human emotion to its story, and it adds so much to the overall film. A brilliantly directed first feature from Andrew Niccol.
Jacob E

March 31, 2011
One of the few films to present us with a future that seems to be coming closer and closer everyday. Very thought provoking, not just on an issue of ethics, but how business and black markets play into the issues of science. Very well acted, very well done, what can I say. Highly recommended.
Conner R

January 7, 2010
Modern science fiction the way it should be. What I've always loved about Gattaca is that its premise is so close to genetics now that it's kind of scary. The movie itself is extremely powerful and breathtaking, one man's will to defy science. Ethan Hawke and Jude Law were perfect and made their equally tragic lives something that you cared about. While it looks futuristic, it wasn't to the point of ridiculous sets that some depictions have had.
Anthony L

September 16, 2009
Very stylish but the acting is as wooden as the beautifully carved set pieces! I?m being a bit harsh, it?s a very entertaining film.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

April 4, 2009
"There Is No Gene For The Human Spirit."

A genetically inferior man assumes the identity of a superior one in order to pursue his lifelong dream of space travel.

REVIEW
In literature as well as cinema, science fiction is a genre that by and large has never held much allure for me. There are however some exceptions to this predisposition. "Gattaca" is one of them. It's thankfully free of the cliched earmarks often employed in a self aware, quasi parody fashion. In order for science fiction to work, one should become unaware of the genre and become engrossed in the action, which simply happens to take place in the future. This lends credibility to what is by definition, fantasy.

Within the cold, austere and beautifully filmed sets, "Gattaca" possesses a core of emotion. The theme of striving towards achievement against adversity is one that will resonate with many. Ethan Hawke strikes the balance between confidence and vulnerability in an assured performance which must surely rate as one of his best. Uma Thurman's somewhat robotic statuesque presence and icy blonde veneer is used to great effect. The wheel chair bound Jude Law is, as ever a compelling actor to watch. As proven by his ingenious screenplay of "The Truman Show", writer and director Andrew Niccol possesses an exceptional creative talent. In "Gattaca" he gives expression to his vision with much assurance and flair.

This is science fiction for all.
TomBowler
TomBowler

July 31, 2009
very unique concept. even though it doesn't feel like it, it's an intense movie.
Nani V

December 22, 2007
I didn't think this was my type of film, but surprisingly I was into it. I LOVE LOVE the ending and the music was so beautiful, I almost cried. Very odd, but good movie.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

April 29, 2009
Another on from the 1997 Toronto International Film Festival. And like all the other movies shown at this Festival , I enjoyed this Movie, and I am sorry that it took me 12 years to see it. Rated as a Science Fiction Movie, the only thing Science Fiction about it is that its in the future, other then that it would be a drama with suspense added.. I am glad to see my old friend Ernest Borgnine was still making movies in the year 1997, he was my favorite on McHales Navy. Also Uma Thurman as pretty as they get. A very Sad ending that I will not give away. If you haven't seen it, don't pass it up, you might find yourself enjoying it by the end. Don't let the slow start discourage you, it did almost me. But I stuck with it and glad I did. Its about a person swapping identity?s in a perfect type world, only to leave that world to travel into space, which doesn't happen except in last 3 minutes. So if you hate Sci-Fi, this is your movie cause there is very little Sci-Fi in it but a lot of great acting. Still only 3 1/2 stars I am a little critical tonight it must be my mood.
Dan S

November 2, 2007
Easily one of the best sci-fi movies of the 90's. The story is exceptionally well put together, anchored by two terrific performances from Ethan Hawke and Jude Law. Despite a few holes, this film excels in detailed storytelling, as well as a beautiful score and breathtaking art direction. The ending is a fitting one, and its a sci-fi movie that has a few good lessons going for it, that being never let anyone tell you what you can and can't do, you know what your limits are, genetics aren't everything.
Sarah G

October 11, 2006
Director:Andrew Niccol
Released: 1997
Stars: Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman,Jude Law & Alan Arkin
Genre: Sci Fi, Drama
Country: USA

In the not-too-distant future, a less than perfect man wants to travel to the stars. Society has categorized Vincent Freeman as less than suitable given his genetic make-up and he has become one of the underclass of humans that are only useful for menial jobs. To move ahead, he assumes the identity of Jerome Morrow, a perfect genetic specimen who is a paraplegic as a result of a fall. With some professional advice, Vincent learns to deceive DNA and urine sample testing. When a colleague is killed he is finally scheduled for a space mission, but a colleague suspects his origins and the police begin an investigation.

Seeing as it's the holiday season I thought I'd watch a few films that I've been dying to see for ages. So I stumbled across Gattaca in my local supermarket and decided to buy it. I didn't really know what to expect but I have to admit that i really like it.

Gattaca is almost 12 years old and still feels like it was made a few years ago. The set design, nominated for an oscar, does give off the impression that I'm sure the director aimed to create. That being a world devoid of natural births and a world where companys employ people based on their genetic make up does, to the audience feel like that's the way the world could be. The film obviously, at the end of the film, depicts the consequences of the world and what it would meet for people living in it. In other words science has gone to far.

The narrative structure, at first focusses on the scientific orientaed world, and we see more empthaises on that. As Vincent narrates however, we begin to understand that it more to it than that. The narrative doesn't however, stay too long on that and that's something I would have liked to see more of. There were a few scenes that didn't contain as much development as I'd like. Suddently a new story emerged. However those were minor flaws.

As I said before, the film is more about a tale of one individual and less or a science fiction story. For instance Jude Law's character does become quite intriguing as the film progresses. In particular as we see Vincet eventually emerge as Jerome, which does become quite emotional.

Overall, gattace is definatly a film I might re-watch and probably see something in it that i didn't see before. It depicts a world which could happen and contains characters that you can relate. Such an emotional tale of human spirit. Contains some outstanding set design.

8/10

More to follow...
Jens S

June 14, 2006
An intelligent and somewhat realistic look into a near future when parents can choose the genetic makeup of their kids, and the story of a man fooling the system of only the perfect candidates going their way in life and job. Good acting, interesting characters, a cool set design and exciting plot make this utopian/dystopian thriller a gem of the genre. A beautiful soundtrack completes the picture, which also comes up with one of the most beautiful last lines ever.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

September 7, 2008
Suprisingly real goood, I'm not a big fan of Ethan Hawke nor Uma Thurman for the most part but this shiz was hot, Jude Law breaking out in this movie.
puffchunk
puffchunk

January 26, 2007
Cool sci fi piece about the future and the fears of genetic enhancement
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

March 19, 2008
Loved the premise. Even more thought provoking now then it would have been eleven years ago when it was released.

Although it was very futuristic in it's premise it had a very 1950's almost 'film noire' feel to it. A mixture that worked surprisingly well for me.

Aside from some plot holes and what is really just mediocre performances by a cast that could (and has) done better...this was an enjoyable film.