—— The Identical Sep 05

The Gauntlet Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 2, 2013
Clint Eastwood is one of Hollywood's most bad assed actors. Along with Charles Bronson, he has carved a career out of playing some memorable tough guys. In The Gauntlet he plays a no nonsense cop who escorts a prisoner and protect her from the mob. This is an exciting and well crafted film that is action packed, and humorous throughout with direction from Clint Eastwood, who keeps you entertained due to a well written script and effective performances from Eastwood himself and lead actress Sondra Locke. This is a worthwhile film for Eastwood fans, and is sure to thrill old school action fans. The Gauntlet is a solid picture that is entertaining from start to finish. Clint Eastwood is great here and ands he proves once again that he is an icon of cinema. When a film lover thinks tough guys, Clint Eastwood is usually at the top of the list. His acting is always entertaining, and his performance is always something to watch. He may have kind of been typecast as a bad ass in Hollywood, but he never disappoints. This is one of the finer films of the 1970's starring Eastwood, and aside from the Dirty Harry films, covers similar ground, but reinvents the formula quite a bit. The Gauntlet is fun entertainment that you shouldn't pass up and if you love straight forward action, then this is a film worth checking out. The Gauntlet is one of the most memorable action flicks of the 70's, and with a smart script, great cast and wonderful direction, it is among Eastwood's best directed features of that era.
Al S

November 17, 2012
An absurdly entertaining action-thriller. A slam-bang entertainment ride that's filled with enough action, suspense, comedy and surprising romance for two films. An explosive and over the top adrenaline-rush from start to finish. Clint Eastwood stars and directs this hard-edged action film and brings on yet another great performance, totally departing himself from Dirty Harry and into and new and exciting police character. It`s just good old explosive fun. Eastwood and Locke are tremendous.
garyX
garyX

December 24, 2006
Burnt out cop Clint Eastwood is sent to extradite a federal witness and finds himself targeted by both the mob and his own police force. After the success of Dirt Harry, Clint made the tough guy cop thriller his bread and butter and The Gauntlet is a Harry sequel in all but name only. He is the typical laconic booze hound and the witness is the usual mouthy, street savvy hooker with a heart as they brave a constant hail of bullets. The plot is a little thin, the story being essentially one long chase sequence and Sondra Locke (who was always kind of like Clint's own Yoko) is not the best actress and actually comes across as kind of annoying. You can always rely on Eastwood however and this is his show all the way. His direction is rather workman like but efficient enough and it all reaches a suitably lead riddled climax. Hardly Eastwood's best but still a solid 70s action thriller that will appeal to his fans.
Anthony L

March 5, 2012
I've read somewhere that this film is essentially an urban-domestic parable about the soldierly fallacy of the Vietnam War and a reaction to the police force highlighting the issues with their conformity, mechanised compliance and nihilistic indulgences. If that is the case though, why make it so light hearted when it really needed to be serious throughout. To be honest, I think this was a misguided idea that developed into a crap film. I was loving it for the first 5 minutes, the 70s being my favourite decade for film but everything that I hate about 70s film took over. The script is awful, the acting is dreadful and the story is stupid and doesn't work or make sense. You could probably think of many theories as to why a film made in that era is/was anti-Vietnam, many people have/do but I honestly think the majority of them are completely wrong. I do like Clint Eastwood but I find that the films he directs often lack the depth he desired, he is much more of a conformist than he thinks he is but like I said, I'm still a fan!
jjnxn
jjnxn

September 19, 2007
Utterly ridiculous but undemanding crime drama.
Conner R

August 30, 2010
If you are a Clint Eastwood fan, this is one of the coolest movies ever made. It's like Dirty Harry and Coogan's Bluff combined into one, with enough action and bloodshed to satisfy anyone's needs. Clint Eastwood churns out the classic one-liners and carries a hand cannon whilst riding a Chopper. The hooker love story only doubles the manliness of the movie, as does the set ups and double crossing. It's one of the many wonderful one man army scenarios and it never seems to get old. Pure 70s genius.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

December 6, 2007
like dirty harry with slightly more personality, the gauntlet excels with entertainment and iconic eastwood action scenes, and suffers from audacious coincidences that are lazily forced in to further the story without requiring too much creativity. locke plays her typical one note character, and the acting was mostly sub par, but the film was as fun as it was trying to be, lifting it slightly above the average.
Coxxie M

December 6, 2009
has some great one-liners like "hey asshole IM Roy!" and "oh yea, well this is my gun Roy." actually pretty stupid movie and i dont think Eastwood can direct. it also contains about 5 minutes of dialogue about Clint's 2-day beard.
Jason O

August 16, 2009
This may be the first Clint Eastwood movie I ever saw. My parents went to see it at the theater, but I wasn't born yet and saw it nearly 20 years later, and loved it from the first viewing. A definite must have for me, but then again, what Eastwood flick isn't? *Woman walks to the edge of a speeding train and sees she doesn't wanna jump, turns around and asks Clint, "You wouldn't hit a lady would you?"* *Clint punches her right in the face*
Stephen M

December 3, 2007
I hadn't seen this for a long time and was surprised to find it better than I'd remembered. Underneath the modish '70s frankness and vulgarity there's quite a sweet, old-fashioned romance. Though "The Outlaw Josey Wales" was the best film they made together, "The Gauntlet" represents Sondra Locke's best performance for Eastwood. The action scenes may be preposterous but they are exceptionally well-handled; the helicopter vs motorcycle chase is superb. The armour-plating of the bus and the endless bullets which never seem to hit anyone prefigure "The A-Team" by a half decade.
deano
deano

October 31, 2006
An explosive movie embodying its title with a vengeance. Eastwood - fast, furious and funny.
Chris B

September 13, 2011
Certainly not the best Eastwood film, but a middling one in which he Directs and stars as a cop who is te opposite of his badass Dirty Harry character. Still, even the more humble cop gets the job done and there is some fun to be had here.
Henrik S

August 23, 2010
A typical slick action flick from the 1970s with Clint Eastwood doing what he does best (at least in the opinion of many cinema-fans at the time), saving the girl, looking grim and as cool as a cucumber and dodging bullets like no other. Watching this film from the perspective of retro-70s enthusiasm, one will enjoy the over-the-top waste of bullets, the fashion, colour palette that ranges from brown to brown and of course, Sondra Locke in the lead (partially in the nude mind you!). The finale tries very hard to stand in the tradition of the classic wild west "one-man-renegade" showdown but it feels a tad forced. Clint Eastwood is great, but I think the script should have supplied him with a few more one-liners, make his character feel less driven by fear and duty rather than verve and Eastwoodian determination. The antagonist does a good job of holding his grizzly face into the camera, but the film does lack a grim henchman that stays on the trail of the elusive couple on their great escape through the mid-west. All in all, a b-movie that should tick all the boxes for genre fans, but there are better road movies with a touch of cool out there.
Marcus W

November 14, 2007
So-so action movie.
Lee K

July 14, 2007
I finally own my own copy of my favorite of ole clint's movies! This is the apitomy of coolness. Clint plays Detective Ben Shockley a down and out cop with a drinking problem who gets called upon by the new police commisioner to fly into Vegas and pick up a "nothing witness" to a "nothing trial" little does Shockley know that his witness is a high price prostitute that if brought to trial can bring down a huge mobster. We get to journey with Shockley and Au'gus'tina Malley as they dodge mob and police hits till Shockley wakes up and sees who exactly it is that wants this witness dead....the mob or the police? Maybe both??? Great action flick that was made in the mid 70's and definatly has that feel and jazzy soundtrack backing it up. Great shoot outs with the last 20 mins of this film being one of the most intense scenes that i can remember. A must see for any Clint fan.
moviefan1725
moviefan1725

December 21, 2009
Clint Eastwood takes a break from Dirty Harry Callahan to play a booze hound Pheonix cop assigned to transport, what he is told, a nothing witness in a nothing trial from Las Vegas. In reality, the witness is a hooker (played by Eastwood's then real life girlfriend Sondra Locke) who has information that ties the mob to a host of dirty Pheonix cops. So obviously they meet with far more resistance on their journey than they expected. If the movie is guilty of one thing, it's overkill. In several confrontations, the bad guys hit their targets with such overkill, that it's almost laughable. A police car and city bus are turned to Swiss cheese, and a house is hit by gunfire so hard, that it literally collapses onto its foundation. Yet Eastwood and Locke are able to escape that house via a tunnel that leads from the basement. The movie also suffers from a horrible 70's soundtrack, obviously influenced by jazz fan Eastwood, who also served as director. But still, it's a solid piece of 70's action, with clear cut good guys and bad guys, plenty of gunfire, and we even see Eastwood cross the line, and punch a couple of women, including the witness he's protecting. Not up to Dirty Harry levels, but it still shows why there are fewer Hollywood icons that are tougher than Clint Eastwood.
sage8595
April 5, 2013
Our home away from home Dirty Harry film. Everything we love about him is there. Clint and Sondra are perfect on screen together and the chemistry is genuine. Filled with a lot of action, humor and explosions this is sure to guarantee all fans an non fans of Eastwood alike.
June 30, 2013
Does death, mayhem, shooting and gambling tickle your fancy? If so, I would recommend this one because it has all of that.
February 26, 2010
This is Clint Eastwood in the type of role that was made for him. He plays a washed-up cop that has to step up to get the job done. The story is not great or original but it is well told. It is obviously a 70s movie, you can tell not only by the style of the movie but the style of some of the acting. But this movie does stand up against time very well. And the acting works well for the movie. I don't really like Sanda Locke as an actress but she is not terrible in this movie. I like this movie and would recommend this to any Eastwood fan for sure but also think any fan of cop drams will find it entertaining.
August 2, 2008
best actor of the clint eastwood along with actress sondra locke with the second film. this film sort reminded me of 1988 "midnight run" meet william baldwin & cindy crawford in 1995 "fair game".