Gen 13 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gen 13 Reviews

deano
½ August 17, 2009
I was a fan of Gen-13 in the comic book, when I was 18 because it had plenty of fun and action of teenage heroes before this rated-M animated movie. Of the voice cast, only Elizabeth Daily seemed to really hit her stride as Roxy, although Alicia Witt's Fairchild was endearing in her plain candor and Cloris Leachman's Helga was terribly amusing. However, I also feel that, no offense to Flea, but I never imagined Grunge sounding quite THAT dumb. And Mark Hamill's voice as Threshold is so powerful.
I see Grunge kick some ass - as always, the character is best when he stops being a doofus and actually uses his head (and powers) to help out his friends. Roxy's power manifestation was downright gorgeous and impressive. And Fairchild... well, she was about as spot-on as any appearance in the comic. Go, girl!
½ May 22, 2015
An odd mix; the animation style and sensibility of a Saturday morning cartoon with R-rated violence, innuendo and exploitative nudity. If you can get over this, and the melodrama, the X-Men-esque take on gifted youngsters has enough to maintain interest.
December 15, 2013
Averagely bad comic book adaptation
September 20, 2011
An important pre DC Animated film that pushes the limits of pg 13 animation. Some of the characters are annoying but the overall story is quite interesting even if it has been done before.
May 22, 2010
A well animted film and a good story, based on a fairly unknown comic series from the 90s. A couple of scenes tip the balance towards nudity and violence in what would otherwise be a fun kids movie. A bit more swearing than the average PG too. I only saw this is as a comic adaptation completist, but was pleasantly surprised by how good this was.
½ April 30, 2010
"These are human lives, young human lives you are playing with!"
½ February 14, 2010
NOT A HALF BAD MOVIE. THE ANIMATION AND FEEL REMINDED ME OF HEAVY METAL. LOVE THE COMICS, BUT THIS FILM DOESN'T DO THEM JUSTICE.
August 31, 2009
Decent, though not great. Probably appeals more to fans of the comic. I only watched this because it's unreleased in America.
deano
½ August 17, 2009
August 3, 2009
Nice animated flick. I would have liked to see how it would have worked as a series.
March 9, 2009
Another comic becomes a cartoon. Quality was shit, the voice acting annoying and despite decent fights and T&A, I doubt I'll ever want to revisit again.
½ July 23, 2008
So, I was reading up on some things in Wikipedia when something reminded me of this old comic from the 90's. The Article on the comic said there was an animated movie that never saw release in the U.S. Thanks to the miracle of Internet piracy, I got to see a copy online (google video search). Now, I have a little something to say.

If the opening sequence of a man vomiting blood and being shot to death isn't indication that this toon isn't made for little kids, then the first shot of a cartoon high school student in her underwear should it it home for you. You'll get both in the first 5 minutes of the show. The remaining hour or so of film is laced with more bloody violence (e.g. exploding heads) partial teen nudity, sex talk, and cursing. It does what it can to be a PG-13 film. In the world of '90s comics, many fanboys would love this. As for me, I wasn't too impressed.

When the content of a show is ramped up for teen audiences, I expect the story writing and other aspects to do the same. The story was a lame origin story that played out like the pilot to a show that had too much swearing, blood, and underwear to ever see the light of day. The voice acting was horrible, despite the well-known vocal cast. If you're casting someone as the voice of a teenager, get someone who sounds like one. Also, Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers may have been a big deal back in the '90s, but his portrayal of the big dumb Grunge is far too stereotypical of dumb surfer voices. His voice sounded as though it was geared toward making little kids laugh (like Michelangelo from the old Ninja Turtles cartoon). Why put in such a dumb kiddie element if the film is made for an older audience?

In the end, I think it was the kiddie elements that really kill this show for me. It had kiddie writing with grown-up content. They could have taken one from the pages of many children's shows that have superior writing without all the blood and boobies.
½ April 28, 2008
I find it almost impossible to believe this film was produced by Disney, considering the content and fanservice. Nonetheless, it's kind of like the anti-x-men.