Germinal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Germinal Reviews

May 22, 2007
A well-made historical epic filled with brutal reality and historical accuracy. Not the best of its genre, but quite entertaining and very informative.
DrStrangeblog
January 31, 2012
Vividly grim and grimy adaptation of the Emile Zola novel about unionization of French coal miners in the late 1800s. So realistic I contracted black lung from watching it.
March 8, 2015
This movie was ABSOLUTELY terrible. Too long. I had to sit through this movie for several class periods during a French film course. I can truly say, without exaggeration, that the time I spent watching the movie was some of the most torturous moments of my life. However, the scenery in this movie was beautiful. The director dealt with colorful landscapes, and I found this artistic detail refreshing amidst an otherwise terrible movie. However, this was not enough to compensate for this movie.
March 8, 2015
½ April 5, 2012
Legalz... mais c'est trop long! :-|
DrStrangeblog
January 31, 2012
½ March 24, 2011
Aside from the uneven acting, still a great movie! Excellent depiction of Marx's class conflict in a capatilist economy.
March 1, 2011
Ces prestations restent toujours aussi incroyable!
February 4, 2011
don't know how I did it to the end
½ March 16, 2010
Good for a French movie.
December 6, 2009
Didn't uderstand much (it was in french) but this made me want to read the book! Very well done.
August 3, 2009
Nunca terminei de ler.
March 11, 2009
I read the book as well for a college history class and it's not all bad.
March 11, 2009
Makes me want to read the book. Three hours that doesn not feel like it. Recommended
January 2, 2009
realistic but not as good as novel..
December 27, 2008
a bit disturbing for me. saw it as part of a history assignment. it is pretty accurate though
October 24, 2008
Annoying adaptation of a surely boring book.
August 5, 2008
a searing protrayal of the working man's fight against THE MAN..unmistakeably brilliant
½ July 27, 2008
Extremely intense and shocking. I highly recommend this to anyone, especially anyone interested in mid-to-late 19th century France. The movie starts slow but then embarks on a roller coaster ride. Just when you think the situations in the movie can't get worse, the film takes a turn and surprises you even more with its ongoing and unpredictable plot. Loved this.
April 8, 2008
Zola's seminal work on the plight of the French miner's at the turn of the century. You cannot view this film without gaining a deeper understanding of the union movement in its infancy.