Treed Murray (Get Down) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Treed Murray (Get Down) Reviews

½ March 20, 2008
Christ not another film about a yuppie guy trapped up in a tree by a group of young hoodloms...yawn.

Indeed friends-all of you who have declared to not be interested in this film (95% of my friends list)-I just watched it for the 2nd time. It's a good movie with some great dialogue and pretty good acting by the guy in the tree. Forgive me-David Hewlett is the treed guy's name.

ANYWAY this is an interesting and thought provoking film-that deals with issues of survival/good vs evil/human indifference and cruelty. There are some terrific mindgames/manipulations as Murray tries to get down from the tree without being murdered by the aforementioned young hoodloms.

Give it a chance-it's Canadian eh!!
August 24, 2008
As so often happens with Canadian movies it is a metaphor social commentary drama, where a yuppie ad executive is treed by a gang of muggers and a battle of wits ensues.
Interesting but doesn't really go anywhere.
June 24, 2009
I rented this movie because one of my favorite actors, David Hewlett, played in it. I ended up buying it online that night because it was shockingly good! This movie is simply classic acting. No special effects, nothing blowing up; if that is all you want in a movie then look elsewhere. This movie is about the characters interacting with each other and a truly unique view of society and the general assumptions we all tend to make about each other. You have to give this movie a chance, you will not regret it. :)
½ June 29, 2007
Tight, focused, effective thriller with all the action occurring at a single location. Its interesting story concept is very resourceful in its execution, making use of every possible opportunity that the location allows. Nothing great, but it is efficient.
January 30, 2008
An After School Special masquerading as a movie, "Treed Murray" drives home its can't-we-all-just-get-along message with dull and dogged determination.
March 24, 2016
Have watched it 100 times and if it was on tv right now, I would watch it again.
November 25, 2013
Brilliant film shame about the level of unsavoury language.
June 11, 2012
it was a good movie it was funny and crazy
½ January 28, 2012
Just compelling enough to watch the whole thing, warts and all
December 5, 2011
Wow, the poster makes this film look a lot better than it is. Not that the film is all bad... It's a low key, minisule budget affair, the sort of tv film you watch in the afternoon whilst ill. Strong premise, but lacking in either suspension or plot. - One or the other could have done with being stronger.
½ May 10, 2011
~~Pfftt... BoReD MoViE~~
½ December 17, 2010
Treed Murray is a film I've wanted to watch ever since I saw it advertised on television about 6 years ago. Although overly exaggerated in parts it has a great plot accompanied with fantastic acting by it's mostly young cast. Treed Murray takes every day interactions and adds an interesting twist resulting in this unique film that strips societies general assumption of individuals to the bare bone. A very impressive indie film.
½ June 26, 2007
A great concept - Not a great film - but decent.
Treed Murray has a really great concept - An upper class advertising executive is chased by a gang of teenage thugs (after they try to mug him and he fights back) through a park, finally finding refuge in a tree he climbs to escape being beaten to death. All the action takes place in and around the tree, while he fights off his attackers. Sounds fascinating, doesn't it? While the very premise creates suspense, the director fails in trying to make the thugs and the exec equally sympathetic. While we learn that the exec is a drug user and has cheated on his wife with prostitutes, it does not condone the actions of the thugs, who are clearly the aggressors. Sure, they're smart and are loyal to one another, but they most certainly are the villains. But the film continually tries to make us feel otherwise. David Hewlett is one of my favorite Canadian actors, but perhaps he was too charismatic for this role, if he was to be seen as equally flawed. Or, perhaps, his flaws should have been presented more at the beginning of the film. I just sympathized with his character too much to feel sorry for the thugs. Political correctness bogged down this film, as is the case with most Canadian flicks. But, for all it's problems, some of the acting is terrific and the editing and cinematography is top notch. I think William Phillips (the director) will make much better films in the future. He's definitely talented - he's just trying too hard to please the overly political Canadian film scene. A mildly good film, but far from great.
August 2, 2007
Treed Murray is without question the best "sleeper-hit". David Hewlett (Pin, The Penthouse) was perfect for this role. Cle Bennett, Aaron Ashmore and Jessica Greco collectively, are the perfect supporting cast.
December 4, 2009
Great acting and a few interesting sub-plots were enough to turn this low budget melodrama into a pretty entertaining film. I expected much much worse and now I own the movie.
½ March 20, 2008

Give it a chance-it's Canadian eh!!
June 24, 2009
May 21, 2009
Terrible movie. Dialogue was awful & very phony. The characters were not believeable nor did I feel anything for them or their individual situations. I can't believe so many people gave this movie a good review. I only watched the entire movie to see how bad it was going to get. Seriously, if you want to watch a poorly made movie, watch Treed Murray.
April 20, 2009
Quelle violence, quelle torture psychologique... Super original comme scenario.
½ March 24, 2009
low budget.. nice script.
stuck on a tree with 5 ppl who tried to whack u