• R, 1 hr. 56 min.

Get Rich or Die Tryin' Reviews

blkbomb
blkbomb

February 21, 2013
Marcus: I'm a gangsta grandpa and I'm proud of it.

"At the end of the day, what will you hold on to?"

Get Rich or Die Tryin' is a nice try I guess. 50 Cent is someone whose been in a lot of movies(granted most are direct to dvd garbage) since this, but that I still don't really view as a serious actor. It's kind of hard to here with the performance he throws out to. He's so dull and lifeless. His character is interesting, but very little comes out of his performance. The film is helped by a supporting cast that has some good names like Terrance Howard and Viola Davis. But when your leads performance is so dead, it brings the whole film down with it.

This follows the life of a gangsta who lost his mother(a drug dealer) at a young age. He was forced to move in with his grandparents and live in the basement. He hid the fact that was dealing drugs and involved in the thug life for as long as he could, but soon he leaves home and starts his own life of trying to get money. He's taken under the wing of a more experienced thug and starts getting all the respect of the neighborhood. But what Marcus wants more than anything else is to be a rapper.

This is a movie that is similar to, but not nearly as good as, Hustle & Flow. This one is more dramatic about how bad the life of the street is, but it's still less effective. I liked the movie for what it is I guess. It has an interesting story and is entertaining, but nonetheless it fails because of a lead that doesn't really move us.

This is a decent try and all, but there's much better movies about how bad the life of a gangsta is. I enjoyed it to a degree, but it's something I'll probably never revisit. It's worth a look, I guess, as long as you find the subject material interesting. Just don't expect a whole lot.
Eric A

September 30, 2011
Critics are trippin! A true come up story that is very real and very good.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
Brilliant biography! 50 cent is at his best with this film. Love the soundtrack! A definite must see!
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

March 1, 2008
Where was G Unit in this film?
Bobby H

February 19, 2008
I didnt think that I would like this movie, but evenwith no true major actors, the movie turned out great. Lots of action, drama, and it will keep your attention the entire span of watching it.
While it seems like another movie by someone who shouldnt be acting, if you give it a true chance, youll think otherwise.
Al S

February 1, 2008
What the fuck is this shit, you think they would have the decentcy to shoot him in the fucking head. Rappers dont need a motion picture made of there supposely stupid lifes. Dumb, numb and flat-out teriable. Curtis Jackson is absolutely fucking pathetic
cosmo313
cosmo313

April 16, 2007
I really never planned on watching this, EVER. I figured it woudld suck, and be a waste of time. However, I wound of with a copy of it, which made me wanna give it a chance, then, I found out Jim Sheridan (My Left Foot, In America) directed it. I knew right then that I'd have to see this, just to see how an Irishman dealt with a gangta rap story. Surprisingly, this film works, and it does so well. It's very comparable to 8 Mile, but still very much it's own movie. The acting is good all around, and there's even some scenes that are, dare I say it, almost worthy of consideration for some awards (that aren't Razzies). Give this a chance. Like me, you might just walk away surprised.
jagfire
jagfire

August 23, 2007
I should cap 50 cent for being in this.
Lady D

August 2, 2006
A semi biographical film about 50 Cent, where some of the events are based on some of his life experiences.

Can a rapper act? I think he did a fairly good job, nothing outstanding, but it really wasn't the type of film for best performer, more of a realistic storyline, which was pretty interesting.

I doubt very much people will watch this film, if you're not interested in Hip-hop or 50 Cent, so it may only entertain a small audience.

VERDICT: A very watchable film
Lewis C

June 25, 2007
Better than I expected. 50 Cent plays a much more likeable character than he actually is.
StonedMagician99
StonedMagician99

September 10, 2010
Firstly, just to get it out of the way, I utterly hate rap "music", so I'm probably not the best person to get an opinion on this film from. But the acting was way below par, and the film obviously hoped to rivet audiences with sex, drugs, and violence, but it fails on all three. Finally, though it did clearly make a cursory attempt to sway viewers emotionally, it was unsuccessful in this respect as well.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

February 7, 2007
[font=Century Gothic]"Get Rich or Die Tryin'" starts with a semi-successful armed robbery led by Marcus(Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson). After which, he is gunned down in the middle of the street. As he faces what he expects to be the fatal shot, his life flashes before his eyes starting with...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]...when he was a kid, his mother(Serena Reeder) paid the bills by dealing drugs and he would be left in the care of his grandparents in a crowded household. That situation would become permanent after his mother is brutally murdered. Now, having to find some way to pay for the nicer things in life, especially sneakers, he turns to dealing drugs on the street. And the identities of his mother's killer and father will elude him for years to come...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Get Rich or Die Tryin'" is a violent and gritty tale of the drug trade that neither glamorizes nor glorifies the gangster lifestyle. The movie makes a subtle statement against the easy money of drugs, taking into consideration the price that the larger community has to pay in return. And, of course, violence never solves anything. But the ending is contrived in trying too hard to resolve everything neatly.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Jim Sheridan directs with verve. 50 Cent gives a charismatic performance while Terrence Howard steals the movie playing a volatile character.[/font]
spaulsson
spaulsson

June 23, 2008
The script is lousy, the acting is pretty bad and I couldn't identify with the characters. Even though there were some great moments I wouldn't recommend this movie.
Kevin M

April 1, 2007
Thugs are posers. I look down on those that idolize that ghetto-thug or hood-rat lifestyle. Just watch and I'll get shot by a thugged-out Asian, because every weak-minded punk takes hip hop and lives their life like a slutty rap video. Glorify this punk lifestyle, and you're easily pleased.
Hellshocked
Hellshocked

February 4, 2007
Jim Sheridan, what were you thinking. This film is trash, the writing is godawful and the performances are laughable at best. Its a shame such a talented director chose to helm this.

I would say it is not worth even thinking about seeing, but for one fantastic scene, taking place in the prison showers, where in one unbroken take the entire hip-hop glorification of prison is demythified.

Asll in all, not a good film by any stretch of the imagination.
Erin C

May 10, 2006
So dumb! I knew it would be, but my friend made me see it with her :P
tabitharod
May 27, 2010
I was really impress by 50 Cent's performance! A lot better than these other wanna be actor rappers.
Rev77
November 3, 2009
Let's glorify the gangster, drug dealing murderer, and make him even more rich. This country is pathetic, just like this movie. It's no wonder everyone wants to blow our shit up
MovieGuruDude72
March 28, 2007
Might have been another Boyz in the Hood if it had decent writing, acting, direction, etc. 50 Cent is such a bad actor that it made me wish they had cast a corpse for the lead role. What a God-awful mess.