17% Transcendence Apr 18

Gettin' Square Reviews

jam233
May 25, 2010
December 27, 2009
Determined to stay on the straight and narrow, parolee Barry (Sam Worthington) gets out of jail on Parole to take care of his baby bro, he takes on a job at a restaurant called the Texas Rose. His former jail mate, ?Spit? (David Wenham) gets involved dealing for local gangster Chicka (Gary Sweet).Barry?s employer ?Darren ?Dubba? Barrington (Timothy Spall) who owns the Texas Rose establishment is also a reformed ex-con, and together, the three conspire to bring down the crime boss. This much-nominated Australian
comedy also stars Freya Stafford and Steven Tandy

Australian movie & yes that means Worthy man is in it!! IT starts out w/ his character Barry Wirth (of course it had to be a Barry LMAO! Karma!) in Jail. He was detained for a robbery along with a few others of his group) . Oh Yeah & for the Harry Potter fans. Lmao Peter Pettigrew (Timothy Spall plays ?Dubba? the owner of the Texas Rose in it. I don?t want to ruin anything but if you read the plot. ?Chicka? isn?t the only one, the guys have to worry about. Det, DeViers (I think that was his name) keeps coming along & harassing ?Watsy? (Sam Worthington?s Barry?s Nickname) The Det.?s roll in the movie however is not mentioned in the plot?Remember I saw it for Worthy so I didn?t really care if it was good or not but if I have to give it a grade I?d say a C
LammJamORama
August 31, 2007
An odd heist movie, but was hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing at Johnny's court room scene. And David Wenham's mullet made me laugh every time I saw him.
March 27, 2014
has some inspired moments but ultimately too many characters very little development. trying to piece this film together is more difficult than it should be but the casting was excellent and worth a watch alone for that purpose, Australian film about round'y bandits trying to square that zipper up.
April 24, 2012
Gettin' Square is simply an excellent example of Australian cinema at its best, and one of the greatest examples of combining themes of crime and comedy into a single film and creating a fine film in the process.

Gettin' Square takes elements of two types of cinema Australia great at: Australian Comedy and crime cinema. Australian cinema boasts some excellent crime films with movies such as Two Hands and Animal Kingdom receiving massive critical acclaim in Australia and even wider, with the latter in particular for its Academy Award nominated performance by Jacki Weaver. Gettin' Square has the same qualities of Animal Kingdom, but it substitutes a haunting intensity for a light touch of comedy. And like Animal Kingfdom, it features an Academy Award caliber performance.
The story has a lot of characters to deal with, and it constantly goes back and forth through so many of them and sucks the viewers interest into them that soon enough they forget about the other characters in the story. It chronicles three characters attempting to get square after a life of crime, and all three characters are interesting figures with interesting paths in life which earn deservingly well actors to bring them to life. And to keep the characters mobile is a very strong script.
The script in Gettin' Square is excellent because it captures practically every element of actual Australian dialogue in terms of all the minor mannerisms of language and physicality and the more major ones. The language seems far from generic, it seems genuine. And it educates unfamiliar viewers on how Australians really speak as well as reminding Australians how certain language elements sound laughable when combined with a real Australian accent. Getting' Square is a trip through the Australian language, and it's an honest and hilarious one since the script is packed with plenty of humour. And combine that with great characters and a fine cast, and you have some of the finest elements of Australia's best crime comedy in existence. While it's a film which Australian audiences are more likely to appreciate the humour in, international viewers can still appreciate its meaningful drama and light touch of comedy.
Plus, it has plenty of really fine cinematography which is edited at aa good pace, and the soundtrack is really gentle and features some good songs. But on top of it all is a talented cast and an unforgettable performance by David Wenham.
David Wenham gives one of the finest performances Australian cinema has ever seen, and surely the funniest performance by an Australian actor ever on film. See, David Wenham absolutely perfects the role of John "Spit" Spitieri because he captures the stereotypical Bogan persona with all the hardcore stereotypical Australian elements, and in the process he captures the characterization of a typical dirty Aussie druggie. He's the perfect visual depiction of an Australian low-life, and he plays the character perfectly to a comedic and dramatic extent which is so far away from the handsome and charming figure that David Wenham actually is that it's a performance deserving of an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting actor. Good thing it at least won every major Australian acting award, because his mix of physicality, voice articulation and line delivery is immaculate.
Sam Worthington also proves what makes him a good actor in one of his earliest efforts from before he became an internationally recognized actor for his work in films such as Clash of the Titans or more notably in Avatar. He gives a lot of compelling effort into the lead role and proves that he has a strong talent for more character driven works.
Timothy Spall also earns the title of an honourary Aussie for his work in Gettin' Square which simply pays credibility to the film thanks to his talents in terms of line delivery and intense facial expressions. Even though he's an English actor, he has all the talent and charm of the surrounding actors.

Occasionally the pacing slows down and it goes through extensive periods of the film's simple theoretical dialogue with not much stimulation, but nevertheless Gettin' Square is a well scripted crime caper benefitting from Jonathan Teplitzky's stylish direction and an incredible performance from David Wenham.
Harsh
September 23, 2013
Good plot and good camera angles but too much charicature stupid criminal comedy
Cint T
February 23, 2013
One of the funniest Aussie movies of all time. David Wenham is superb
January 27, 2013
Some commentators have said that since Two Hands Australian movies have started to look rather gangster like. The saving grace for Gettin' Square is that it is truly hilarious in parts.
January 5, 2013
A great Aussie treat. Why are there so few reviews on this one??? I liked it a lot anyways.
March 17, 2012
this is my favourite aussie film ever. david wenham had me crying with laughter.
G S.
October 16, 2011
Brilliant performance by David Wenham, who almost steals the movie from Worthington, but Sam does well too and the dialogue is very Aussie, which I appreciate. One of the better Australian films in of the last ten years and I hope people from other countries can appreciate it, though I think too many jokes and references will be missed for them to like it so much.
Colleen B.
January 8, 2010
I thought this movie was funny, and entertaining I want Sam to do more movies like this.
brendan n.
July 5, 2010
quite funny and original film for the australian market. sam worthington before the mainstream is quite good as the average joe out to turn he's life around after a stint in jail.
a who's who of australian talent seems to be involved here with the most hilarious scene being the court room scene with david wenham.
not the greatest comedy around but it is far from the worst and you can do no harm enjoying some australian humour.
jazza923
May 25, 2010
60/100. Amusing comedy crime thriller from down under. I never found it real involving though, and at times I had a very difficult time understanding the heavy Aussie accents on some of the actors. Enjoyable with a good story, but not very memorable.
vhrocks
April 9, 2010
Possibly one of the finest displays of the Aussie bogan in a film ever.

The acting is great, the humour is spot on and it has a range of great Australian music throughout.

David Wenham's court room scene is possibly one of the funniest things ever to be put on film.
Seasonson
February 7, 2010
This is a great Aussie Film. It is so well done I loved it. Funny, action packed, there is even a tiny bit of romance. A good Aussie Yarn!
Ned S.
December 1, 2009
Jonathan Teplitzky?s second feature film, Gettin' Square, is pretty much the Aussie answer to 'Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels'.
Great Australian talent combines to make one of my all time favorite films.
Paul Celano
November 30, 2009
This is a very entertaining movie. The one thing that sticks out is the dialog. The dialog was just raunchy and fun to listen too. The story was really great with a nice twist ending. The whole cast was pretty good, but one guy stuck out. It was the actor David Wenham. I knew him from the movie 300, but his character as Johnny Spit in this movie is amazing. There is a whole scene when he is in court that is just really funny. So pretty good movie.
januarystars
April 7, 2004
What the hell is 'stale' supposed to mean? anyway, i just put it there. This weather is giving me a headache. Literally.

So yesterday I got out 'gettin' square' with David Wenham and I loved it. It's a film that's not the best in the world but it has some pretty funny stuff in it. David Wenham steals the show as Johnny Spit I mean, he won an AFI for it, it had to be good.

I enjoy Australian films probably a lot better than those hollywood blockbuster films or any other US film. This is because I feel that US films tend to over romanticise (sp?) events. Take a relationship represented in a US film and compare it to one in an Australian Film and you will most likely see the difference.