Getting Even With Dad - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Getting Even With Dad Reviews

August 9, 2015
An ideal film for a Sunday afternoon. Enjoyable
June 15, 2015
I don't wasn't horrible. It was just weird. Very weird.
½ March 24, 2015
Wannabee Home Alone cash grab. Burn this movie.
October 2, 2014
Small time crook Ray Gleason (Ted Danson) just committed the perfect crime, but it took one small thing to screw it up - a visit from his son. Because after a lifetime of being ignored, Timmy (Macaulay Culkin) is getting even!

also stars Glenne Headly, Saul Rubinek, Hector Elizondo, Sam McMurray, Kathleen Wilhoite and Dann Florek.

directed by Howard Deutch.
February 13, 2010
(First viewing - Childhood)
January 25, 2014
Though it is heavily formulaic and far from Home Alone's charm, Getting Even With Dad still has some laughs and a lot of heart along with Macaulay Culkin's decent, clever performance.
April 18, 2013
I like Macaulay Culkin and his films like the first two Home Alones, Uncle Buck, My Girl and The Pagemaster, and after seeing some tepid reviews and a very low ratings I was expecting not to like Getting Even with Dad. But I actually did. It isn't perfect, it is overlong with an obvious and predictable story and the pace slackens at times, but this is a much better film than I was led to believe.

It does look very nice, with good photography and scenery, and the soundtrack was mellow and engaging enough too. Getting Even with Dad does have some funny parts at the expense of Danson's inept sidekicks, and some poignant moments without being too mawkish. Howard Deutch is a talented director, and he proves it I think here, and I really enjoyed the performances of Macaulay Culkin and Ted Danson both of whom carry the movie with ease.

All in all, far from perfect but there are much worse out there. 6/10
March 21, 2013
Yeah, the one with Macaulay Culkin and Ted Danson. Avoid at all conceivable cost.
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to seeing!
½ October 31, 2012
The only way to get even with everyone responsible for this movie is to rape their grandfathers with pickles filled with battery acid. Or watch Daredevil, though that's much worse.
October 24, 2012
Ray (Ted Dansonb) has to spend time with his son in order to get the coins back, this includes trips to a swimming park, a mini golf course and meals out, and for a while this is getting on his nerves, but actually over time the father is getting closer to and finding admiration for his son. Meanwhile the police are also trying to find the coins and catch the gang out, with Detective Theresa Walsh (Glenne Headly) going undercover to get close to the main man, and unintentionally falling for him.
September 9, 2012
Superb, Culkin is classic, Danson is immense... soundtrack unreal. One of my childhood favourites.
June 9, 2012
I think that if you look at this movie for what it is: just a fun feel-good family movie, then it does just that. No, it's not cinematic gold, but that's not what you're asking for when you see something like this. It's about feeling good and about a family coming together with a bit of laughs in between. Why try to grade this movie against something like Forrest Gump, The Godfather, etc? They're not the same kind of movie and that's like comparing apples to oranges.
May 23, 2012
Cute movie, great for a rainy day. Teds Son gets his father to live life the right way, after being released from prison
May 17, 2012
Best film that has ever been made, anyone who rates this movie lower then 99% has serious brain issues which need immediate medical attention. Macaulay Culkin's finest work and easily better then the extremely over rated Home Alone films.
½ December 29, 2011
Wasn't THAT awful. But most made for family movies lack any kind of heart. Well maybe not Mrs. Doubtfire..
½ December 23, 2011
A charming comedy that took me 17 years to watch but finally did. I'm a big fan of Macaulay Culkin and Ted Danson and they were perfect here as father and son. Could easily watch again. 3.5/5
½ November 5, 2007
One of many pervasive societal problems in the United States is the fracturing of the family unit, which sometimes leads to children growing up without one of their parents. More often than not, the missing adult is the father, and the effect of his absence is rarely positive, and occasionally profound. Getting Even With Dad would like potential viewers to believe that it puts a "positive spin" on this issue. Actually, the dysfunctional family in this film is little more than a shameless plot device to introduce a lame father/son bonding adventure. Need I mention that Getting Even With Dad has a happy ending? Anyone who thinks I'm giving something away with that statement has the wrong idea about the film's nature and intent. As bereft of intelligence as the movie is, I suppose it's amiable enough, and likely to be enjoyed by children (many of whom will have no trouble relating to the actions of 11-year old Tim).

VERDICT: "Full Price" - My second highest rating (Positive to Mixed reaction). This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent.
August 21, 2011
i love it because it's just one part is funny but all the don't mind it at all
June 6, 2011
a very funny family movie that makes getting even with your dad fun and hillarious. A