Getting of Wisdom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Getting of Wisdom Reviews

Harlequin68
½ January 29, 2013
Wanting to see more of the outside world and naturally ambitious, Laura Tweedle Rambotham(Susannah Fowle) looks forward to attending boarding school in Melbourne, run by Reverend Strachey(Barry Humphries), a 'lugubrious spaniel.' That all changes the instant she gets off the train in the dress made by her postmistress mother(Kay Eklund), making her the focus of ridicule. At least her roommate Lilith(Kim Deacon) likes the candy she brought with her, even as Mrs. Gurley(Sheila Helpmann), school enforcer and holy terror, points out that having food in the room is against the rules, before listing all of them in their entirety.

As occasionally as unformed as some of its subjects, "Getting of Wisdom" is still a witty and engaging look at an awkward teenager trying to fit in to school society in Victorian Australia while quietly modifying the rules to help others. It is not only her unique fashion sense that sets her apart, as she also seems to be a head shorter than everybody else.(I know everybody else makes fun of her name, but I rather like it.) Even for some of us who went through something similar in our own school years, the movie is not painful in the least to watch, except for the poor character who is accidentally hit in the nose by the cricket bat.
January 8, 2014
The Getting of Wisdom is a perfectly fine but somewhat unremarkable story demonstrating the painful aspects of trying to win the approval of one's peers during adolescence.
Harlequin68