Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster Reviews

November 23, 2011
Rushed into theaters the same year as "Mothra vs. Godzilla", the debut film of Godzilla's most famous adversary is a very uneven affair. The movie starts out okay, a typical Toho science fiction affair, but then it goes crazy as a the film follows a police detective that is forced to protect a princess who is being targeted by a group of assassins. Not only that, but the princess is also the harbinger of a long dead alien race that is trying to warn Earth of the impending destruction from the three headed dragon named Ghidorah. This subplot takes up most of the screen time with the human characters and it feels like glorified time-killer because it has little impact on the monster action. The effects are also dodgy in this one. Rodan looks really fragile for a creature that flies at super sonic speeds and the Godzilla suit looks really worn out (along with a really ugly head). Plus there is not too much city smashing or military scenes, which is weird because military scenes are a long-standing tradition in the Godzilla series. It is obvious that most of the film's budget went into the elaborate Ghidorah suit, which does steal the show whenever Ghidorah is on-screen. It is just too bad that Ghidorah is only in the movie for a total of ten minutes. After the first half the monster action picks up considerably and the final fight involving Mothra, Rodan, and Godzilla banning together to fight the evil Ghidorah is pretty cool, although it does not live up to it's full potential. This is one of the few times were I recommend the American version over the Japanese because the American version cuts out some unnecessary scenes that help the pacing. If I have to sit through some questionable dubbing in order to get to the monster action faster, I'll take it. Overall, "Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster" is a sporadically enjoyable B-movie and one of the weaker entries in the Godzilla franchise.
rubystevens
½ June 1, 2011
starring godzilla, rodan and mothra, now reduced to a giant caterpillar, versus the triple headed fire breathing monster ghidorah. the effects here are pretty funny and the plot is kinda bizarre, with an amnesiac princess turned apocalyptic prophet, tiny twin fairies and even government assassins. it's all worth it for the crazy climactic fight scene. much fun!!
bbcfloridabound
December 6, 2009
This is from the Godzilla series. These movies are always fun, I remember that after seeing this movie I became very afraid of lightning storms as a child thought for sure Ghidorah would show up at any moment. These movies from the 1964 time frame were outstanding for special effects and I wonder to this day just how they got Godzilla's eyes to move the way they did to show expression. The fight scenes were funny as they reminded me of the early days of wrestling. 4 Stars no less.
October 28, 2012
This one my favorite entrees on the godzilla franchise, and also the most important due to showing a new monster called king ghidorah, which continously is known to become godzilla's biggest enemy in the entire franchise. It may be slow, but its alright cause it has an intresting plot on a princess being mind controlled by martians, didnt they do that to megan fox? like i said, it has an intresting plot, and ghidorah is also one of my favorite giant monsters, he has three heads, shoots lightning out of their mouths and can cause huge chaos, even when he's in the sky. he's awesome. but the real highlight is mothra, rodan and godzilla team up to battle king ghidorah and everyone now consider godzilla as a hero. its classic. it is just classic. its one of my favorite films of the godzilla series and if your a hard core giant monster fan, then check this out because its fantastic. its the godzilla film that started the rumble of giants. its just great. A+
June 22, 2012
The debut of the infamous three headed kaiju King Ghidorah who looks fantastic in this film. It took about 20 puppeteers and a stuntman in a suit to bring the beast to life and miraculously very few strings are visible on screen. This film also marks the first time more than 3 kaiju have been on screen at the same time.
½ January 21, 2015
Although one of the more serious installments, it also has its quirks. The monster action, however, is just a cool and cheesy as ever.
½ December 7, 2014
Pretty good, indeed. The suspense is decently done, the special effects are decent, the fights are decent... well everything is decent; it is even kind of funny.
½ July 28, 2014
It's slow, but I think that was a good route to go seeing how this is King Ghidorah's first movie.
½ June 20, 2014
They threw everything at the wall hoping something would stick!
May 31, 2014
Strays even further from the source material. Nothing too exciting, but watchable if you're in the mood for cheesy nonsense.
May 20, 2014
This entry is notable for being the introduction to the three headed Ghidorah and the first one to feature Godzilla as a good guy. It cements Godzilla's fall from a terrifying force of destruction into a kids movie character with scenes like him laughing and getting it in the balls and the whole thing feels rushed. Still its worth a few chuckles
½ May 18, 2014
A monster royal rumble.
May 16, 2014
Godzilla, Mothra and Rodan join forces to save the world from Ghidorah. I first saw this movie as a little kid and it initiated a life-long interest in Japan. Watching it decades later, I find it equal parts brilliant, crummy and bizarre. It has some camp value going for it, but not much else.
May 15, 2014
A fun and cheesy installment in the Godzilla series. While it may lack in the writing and acting departments it does not lack in fun and monster fights!
March 26, 2014
Finally a legitimately entertaining Godzilla sequel. A Three Headed Monster? Genius! With some ridiculously funny moments, this movie finally delivers the all-time entertainment Godzilla is known for, and thank God, because they certainly took a while to do it. It's the fifth time we see Godzilla, yet it's not just him destroying shit, actually, that's pretty toned-down here; it's more about Godzilla fighting monsters, and I love it.

The story gets some hold-up build-up while we learn what Ghidorah is, and in the meantime, Godzilla fights Rodan, another kaiju. Godzilla doesn't get along with anybody, huh? It's quite simple, but truly entertaining, it isn't dull and it isn't stale, it's just done correctly to properly entertain. All I have to say is, it quite delivers unlike any Godzilla sequel before it.

Ghidorah would later become a regular villain in the series, and thank God, because that monster is cool and it's a great effect too. This movie certainly lacks characterization and a strong story, but what we have here, it's just about enough. One of the better Godzilla movies.
April 28, 2014
Godzilla, Rodan, and Mothra star in The Best Friends Club
April 13, 2014
"Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster" isn't a bad chapter in the Godzilla saga, but it's sandwiched between two superior films and if it wasn't for the fact that it marks the arrival of Godzilla's arch nemesis, it wouldn't be anything special to the fans and certainly not to general audiences. Police Detective Shindo (Yosuke Natsuki) is investigating the reappearance of Princess Selina Salno (Akiko Wakabayashi). Her plane exploded on its way to Japan in what is widely believed to be an assassination attempt that's been covered up but oddly, the Princess doesn't appear to be who she is. She is claiming to be a prophet from Venus, warning Earth that a great disaster awaits them: not only will Rodan (from "Rodan") reappear, but Godzilla will return to Japan and an even deadlier threat awaits Earth: Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster! Shindo and his sister Naoko (Yuriko Hoshi), once convinced that the Princess' prophecies are true must convince Mothra (returning from her appearance in "Godzilla vs. Mothra") to help them against this threat.

This movie is a mixed bag of monster fun, not as silly as the next chapter ("Godzilla vs. Monster Zero") or as serious as the previous one, "Mothra vs. Godzilla"). On the plus side, we've got more monsters than ever before: Mothra, Rodan, King Ghidorah and Godzilla, all together and ready to fight! On the downside, the special effects aren't very good in this movie. Assuming you're watching the films in the order they were made, you will notice that the Rodan looks very silly this time around, not particularly cool at all and that the awesome Godzilla suit from the previous film has been replaced with a friendlier-looking, but not nearly as good costume. Having really loved the previous movie, I was also severely disappointed that only one of the Mothra larvae comes back (one is said to have died off-screen, inbetween films). We've got Godzilla moving towards a much more heroic role in this story, which is alright but unfortunately that means that we get much less destruction this time around. You get more boulders being thrown than actual skyscrapers toppled. That said, there are a lot of fun things about this movie, as the franchise moves more towards the campy, ridiculous sci-fi plots that became a staple of the next ten or so chapters. We've got princesses being possessed by Venutian spirits, a three-headed space dragon that shoots lightning coming to attack Earth, meteor showers and an assassination plot. Even more exciting, we get some fun monster battles between the characters. Rodan and Godzilla duke it out in what is a very silly but actually pretty funny battle (which involves much pecking and stuff being thrown around), we've got Mothra fighting King Ghidorah by herself, Mothra trying to convince Godzilla and Rodan to join her in order to save the humans (which they are reluctant to do by the way, because the humans "bully them") and finally King Ghidorah, squaring off against three monsters at once (one for each head!) If you think that last point means that we get a sequence where Mothra rides on top of Rodan so she can get some air with her silly string cocoon powers, then you would be right and you should be excited to see it. Yeah, it's a bit of a disappointment to see the monster action turn into a goofy wrestling match but I like to think of Godzilla a lot like Batman. Some people see him as a serious character and therefore, write him seriously. Some people see him as a symbol of humanity's depths and write him in intricate stories filled with all kinds of symbolism. Some people just see him as a silly science fiction hero for the kids and that's what we get here. Even for the people who like Godzilla as a more serious character, you do get the first-ever appearance of King Ghidorah, so that's something to cheer about.

When it comes to the human plot, it's not too bad, but nothing special. There is a really funny moment right at the beginning where we are introduced to the Shobijin (the emissaries of Mothra) through a game show and there is some nice banter between Shindo and his sister. We get a decent plot about some scientists investigating the mysterious meteors that have fallen to Earth, but that one doesn't hold a candle to the princess assassination plot, which is a lot of fun. This is where the movie gets to its nuttiest because we've got a police officer trying to track down a woman who's claiming to be a Venutian while some bumbling assassins (well, they're not comedic, but they're not very good at their job) are trying to track her down too and meanwhile, she's prophesising that monsters are going show up at any minute. It's also nice to see continuity between the films (even if Rodan's appearance is a drastic change from the last time we saw him, and not only in the looks department).

There are a lot of ideas and plot points going on here, but they're not that well balanced. I would have loved to have seen this film drop Rodan entirely and have the two rivals, Godzilla and Mothra forced to team up with a new opponent, but oh well. It's not one of the silliest Godzilla movies, which actually works against it in a way but it's fun enough, mostly because of the revelation of King Ghidorah. If you're a fan of Godzilla movies, or just giant monster movies you can give this one a shot and you'll have a fun time, but this is not one of the "great" Godzilla films. (Original Japanese with English subtitles on Dvd, March 30, 2014)
February 8, 2014
Great classic monster movie, which features the first look at the 3 headed dragon, Ghidorah (or Ghidrah, this movie likes to call him a few variations of this). A rock with magnetic properties (sometimes) is discovered in the mountains, and out of the blue Ghidrah appears. There is no explanation provided for this, so nerds like me are unable to truly explain how he appeared. It ends with Ghidrah getting the shit beat out of him. The variety of monsters (Rodan, Godzilla, Mothra and Ghidrah) are a real treat, yet it seems a but unfair that the fight is 3v1.

6.5/10, a classic in the Godzilla universe, worth a watch if you enjoy Godzilla / Toho flicks.
November 26, 2013
Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah. This is my favorite Godzilla movie. The Kaiju battles are something that must be seen,