Ghost in the Machine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ghost in the Machine Reviews

July 25, 2008
Pretty Bad..I Always Was Thinking, Why Should She Just NOT Use The Bloody Computers!? Duh!!! Life Is Possible Without Constant IT Connection.
½ October 3, 2014
With the film's solid premise and impressive visual effects, Ghost In The Machine makes for a unique horror techno-thriller with solid performances by Karen Allen and Chris Mulkey.
½ September 1, 2014
A truly terrible and inexcusable abortion of a film viewing experience. The stars seemingly align to make this one of the worst films I can ever recall viewing, and not that special good kind of bad; this is the straight up 'would rather eat broken glass' bad-bad. Clearly written as a wanna be Wes Craven movie as it borrows heavily from another all time horrible movie, 'Shocker'. When thinking about it, there is not even one thing this movie is able to accomplish with any shred of competency.

To start with, the script is absolutely deplorable. Like 'I must have misheard what they said, because there is no way a human being would ever say that out loud.' Solidly garbage throughout with a heavy sprinkling of some of the worst lines perhaps of all time. There is no way in Hell that anything other than a chimpanzee with down-syndrome wrote and approved this sort of dialogue. It really is right up there as the worst I've ever heard. Unbelievable shit is really all I can say.

The acting is only .2 degrees better. Featuring Wes Craven castoffs like Brandon Adams and Karl Hochman, and introducing us to Wil Horneff, the most horrific child actor the world has ever seen. There isn't one actor here who should have been able to book the 'Non-Speaking Extra #8' role for the Reno Community Theater without sleeping with the director first. As with the script, there is absolutely nothing positive to mention at all. All actors involved should be sterilized for the betterment of future generations.

At its most basic core, the concept for the plot could have been at least interesting. A cyberspace bound killer who kills through electronic devices. Could have at least been halfway entertaining right? Not in this instance. First and foremost is that the technology on display here is the most antiquated and obsolete crap ever made. Even the computers used in the 70's would have been infinitely cooler. This theme of terrible early '90s dating isn't limited to the technology though, it oozes onto everything and somehow debilitates the film even further than its horrific script and acting allows. It just feels dirty and greasy. The plot is frittered away with meaningless scenes, mind numbing stupidity , and all around lack of tension, believability and talent.

Top to bottom, this is a one of a kind soul-raping fiasco. Please do not waste a second of your time on it. So terrible that I literally couldn't bring myself to close my mouth, as it just hung open in the disbelief of the trash on display before me. If this film was a person, I would follow him home and light his house on fire.
November 27, 2012
Karl Hochman is a technician at a computer store and is also the Adress book killer. He steals adress books from people and kills the people in the book. Terry Munroe and her son visit the store and her adress book is used as a demonstration for a hand held scanner. Karl gets ahold of it and while coming after Terry he gets in a car accident and his vehicle turns upside down and into a cemetery. While getting a Cat scan at the hospital a huge lightning storm hits the hospital and now Karls mind transforms into electrical energy and he uses computers and electrical equipment to continue his mission of killing Terry and her friends. I thought this was a terrific sci-fi/horror movie. Definitely gives you the creeps. The computer animation of the killer was pretty neat and there was some interesting ways they killed people. The acting was also well done. Karen Allen and Rick Duccomen was the only ones a recognized. It's kind of nonsensical but still pretty fun movie to watch.
May 30, 2013
Very fun but dimwitted 90's techno-thriller.
July 14, 2013
Being afraid of technology is not a new subject in horror films and dismissing the grossly incorrect science behind this film, Ghost in the Machine has but a few good things going for it. Karen Allen is very good in the role of Terry Munroe, the target victim of the virtual killer. The rest of the cast isn't bad as they deliver their lines etc. with some talent, but they are far from good.
There is a couple of good death sequences. The best one coming from a microwave and delivers the best gore of the film. Last is the name of the film. I've always loved the term "ghost in the machine" so I do have a soft spot of sorts for this movie. But most of the deaths here aren't very good. The computer graphics seemed dated even at the time of release and have not aged well at all. And finally there's the story that is so based in non-fact that it might be hard for people to watch. Those out there that have no concept of computer systems, networks, electricity, etc. might be able to easily suspend their beliefs and go on the journey that is Ghost in the Machine and while that might have been the majority when this film was released, these days most 10 year olds can program computers to do their parents taxes.
September 23, 2012
this movie really rocks! how about the scene with the microwave door open and it turns on? ish!
September 3, 2012
A murderous ghost in electronics who uses this special ability to kill his victims. Campy but fun, lots of interesting deaths and tongue in cheek moments. Not the best sci-fi film, but quite fun to watch.
½ August 8, 2012
Silly slasher film gets more and more ludicrous as it goes along.
½ October 9, 2011

½ April 3, 2012
This has got to be one of the worse I've ever seen. So bad but is somehow beyond 'so bad it's good,' probably because it takes it's ridiculous plot-line too seriously, as if it was actually going to be able to scare a few people. It tries to make technology scary but only shows off how dated it is by all of the old technology and terrible 'virtual reality' effects (and by the babysitter turning on 'In Living Color' and rocking out to the hip music). The movie is so stupid. A dog drowns itself in a pool after a VCR spits a tape out onto its face which I guess convinces it to, a man survives a crash test dummy collision into a wall only to be killed by a fucking hand dryer, a dishwasher causes someone to be electrocuted to death. The kills could not be worse, and good kills are pretty much the only thing you can hope for in a really bad horror movie. I've got to be honest, this one was hard for me to finish. It made Maximum Overdrive look like a masterpiece of the machines gone wild genre. Between this and Freddy's Dead, anyone would be a fool to hire Rachel Talalay as a director again.
January 9, 2012
Boring, slow and predictable. It wasn't a good computer/hacker movie, it wasn't a good ghost/horror movie. If you're into lame, gratuitous violence and un-needed bloods and guts...this is your flick. It wasn't mine. Very disappointing, since this was one I had wanted to see in the theater.
August 16, 2011
sounds interesting...
July 19, 2011
wtf am i watching. this is what i get for getting starz
½ September 27, 2006
GHOST IN THE MACHINE (1994)
March 31, 2011
½ January 6, 2011
Horrible, horrible movie. It still stands as one of the few movies I've seen in the theater that I've ever walked out of.
December 29, 2010
it wasnt that bad considerin its old
August 1, 2007
Terrible, terrible, and did I mention, terrible.
½ October 17, 2010
Watchable, but forgettable in the same token.