Critics Consensus: Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance Hits the Skids

Summary

If you're planning on hitting the multiplex over Presidents' Day weekend, you've got a few new options. We've got lovestruck spies ("This Means War," starring Reese Witherspoon and Chris Pine), a very little girl ("The Secret World of Arrietty," with voice work from Bridgit Mendler and Amy Poehler), and a combustible biker ("Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance," starring Nicolas Cage and Idris Elba). What if the characters in Mad Magazine's "Spy vs. Spy" duked it out over a woman? That's the basic premise of "This Means War," but unfortunately, critics say its blend of screwball comedy and action is surprisingly flat. Back to Article

Comments

Shannon B.

Shannon Briggs

My guess is that Ghost Rider 2 will end up probably about 30-35% range just because it's humanly impossible for it to be worse than the first one.

Feb 16 - 07:18 PM

The Watcher

Ah, Kadeem, the troll with the worst taste in movies on RT.

Feb 16 - 08:22 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

Like I said, screw U as in yourself, Watcher.

Feb 16 - 09:17 PM

The Watcher

"U" is not a proper noun (never mind the fact that it's a letter, not a word), and therefore should not be capitalized. Though it stands to reason that someone with a taste in movies that shitty should also have bad grammar. Those two aspects are pretty much mutually inclusive.

Feb 16 - 10:40 PM

ap sirius

karl anderson

And again The Watcher feels the need to be the arbiter of good comments. Dispensing his educated brand of justice on unsuspecting reviewers....do you steal candy from babys too ?

Feb 17 - 01:36 PM

The Watcher

Nope, Ap Sirius, I don't like candy. Also, regardless of what pitiful defense and snarky little comments you might put up in support of a piece of shit, or what colorful little dresses you might put upon its shoulders, a piece of shit's a piece of shit, end of story. But then, I wouldn't expect anything less of you: purveyor of awful taste.

Feb 17 - 03:26 PM

ap sirius

karl anderson

wow ...I changed my mind...I think your anger is because you had your candy stolen from you as a child....sry oh all knowing one

Feb 17 - 03:50 PM

The Watcher

How did you get that I'm angry? lol That's pretty much the "calm down, bro" quasi-retort people use when they have nothing clever to say. Why so sirius?
Point being, as I said before, you can dress up a piece of shit however you want, doesn't change the fact that it is what it is. I have critics and good taste on my side - you can't win. All you can do is try be cute with your responses, but it doesn't change anything.

Feb 17 - 05:17 PM

ap sirius

karl anderson

I dont know what kind of world you grew up in but calling people trolls and pieces of shit usually comes from an angry spirit. I dont need a PHD to see that. Can you say passive aggressive ? I think not.

Feb 17 - 06:42 PM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

Why would he say passive aggresive? He's being aggressive. If you are going to use terms, please do it right, otherwise you are just being a troll.

Feb 17 - 08:29 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Children, children, children...

Feb 17 - 10:13 PM

The Watcher

1 - It's called being openly aggressive, there's nothing passive about calling you a moron.
2 - You must also be semi-illiterate, because I never called any person a piece of shit, I called Ghost Rider 2 and bad movies in general pieces of shit, which they are. If you wanna make a point, at least make sure you're getting your facts right. Idiot.

Feb 17 - 10:16 PM

The Watcher

Also, the reason I called Kadeem a troll is because of this comment, and I quote: "If you're not a fan of the franchise, then screw yourself." Most people are not fans of this series, and so he just told the majority of users on this site to "screw" themselves. That is called being a troll. Silly Sirius, always jumping into the fire without first understanding what the hell's going on.

Feb 17 - 10:20 PM

Grendal Sven

Grendal Sven

And as usual the one who has been trolled can do naught but revert to "grammar nazi" in self defense. Really, we are not writing prize winning news articles here, it's a goddamn comments section on movies. Now get over URself!

Feb 18 - 05:40 AM

ap sirius

karl anderson

I was using passive agressive in an ironic sense....but I guess you will correct me on this too, seeing how you feel you are better than everyone else......grammer nazi...lol...I like that one Grendal

Feb 18 - 10:42 AM

The Watcher

So.. you absolutely cannot dispute anything that I said above, and your only method of defense is to call me a grammar Nazi, which you didn't even come up with? Cool, I'll take that as a victory, then.

@Grendal - Defending a troll, huh? You pretty much admitted it in your comment, and Ap was kind enough to thank you for it. Funny.

Feb 18 - 11:46 AM

ap sirius

karl anderson

I wasnt calling you a grammar nazi...I was laughing at Grendals use of it....And I didnt realize this site was a competition...If it is then you can pick up your medal on the way out the door

Feb 18 - 05:36 PM

scifimark

scifi mark

you do realize the troll has beat you at least this time. Just by responding once they have won

Feb 20 - 11:55 AM

John Festle

John Festle

How is that a troll comment? Jw

Feb 17 - 12:43 AM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

Because The watcher is a complete fagate. A jackass like him doesn't even know about god superhero and video game movies. So he needs to kiss my ass if he makes another comment.

Feb 17 - 06:21 PM

The Watcher

What's a god superhero/videogame movie? Or is that just you being stupid again? Also, I'm pretty sure it's spelled "faggot." I mean, really, if you cannot even get your insults right... *shakes head in embarrassment for poor lil' Kadeem*

Also, it's kinda funny you throwing homophobic slurs at me and then telling me to kiss your ass. Projecting much?

Feb 17 - 10:24 PM

Manuel Granados Vargas

Manuel Granados Vargas

Strangely he/she has some actual good movies in his/her personal list, with ratings that reflect not an awful taste. But when the Critics consensus and weekly ketchup comes out he/she always supports the obvious piece of crap movie and defends it like his/her life depended on it.

Feb 17 - 09:45 AM

Justin D.

Justin D.

I usually assume he/she is being an antagonistic contrarian and not an actual supporter of such turds as Twilight and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. The kind of person who is more interested in rousing up the crowd than actually speaking their honest opinion.

Feb 17 - 04:21 PM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

The signature move of a troll: have no real opinion or take on the topic, just go against the grain for the sake of argument. But there's lengths a troll won't go to, like defending G.I. Joe. Something Kadeem has done. Or even worse, Adam Sandler.

Feb 17 - 08:32 PM

Tom C.

Tom Carter

Of course Ghost Rider was going to stink. I mean, the trailer even looked stupid! Who does a scene where a flaming, skeletal vigilante urinates fire? WORST TRAILER SCENE EVER! If anything, do another Daredevil movie (or at least a reboot) before doing another Ghost Rider...

Feb 16 - 09:01 PM

Justin D.

Justin D.

These scores surprise no one. Sign me up for Arrietty.

Feb 16 - 09:06 PM

Josh Gilmour

Josh Gilmour

Tomorrow cannot come soon enough. Seeing Arrietty right after school.

Feb 16 - 09:10 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

Like I said, screw U as in yourself, Watcher.

Feb 16 - 09:17 PM

Feb 18 - 05:36 PM

scifimark

scifi mark

Feb 20 - 11:55 AM

Cole Ruster

Cole Ruster

Saw the Japanese-dubbed to English version of Arrietty this week, it's incredible. Little action, yet a lot of heart.

Feb 16 - 09:35 PM

George Patchell

George Patchell

I'm guessing Ghost Rider will end on 29% because it is not humanly possible for it to be worse than the first Ghost Rider which was - to borrow a line from Yahtzee Croshaw - a spunk flavoured lollipop.

Feb 16 - 10:27 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Oh, trust me it's very possible for Ghost Rider 2 to be worse than the first, just like it was possible for Alvin and the Chipmunks 3 to be worse than Alvin and the Chipmunks 2.

Feb 16 - 11:59 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

I whip my tail back and forth I whip my tail back and forth. GAHHHHH!!!! Chipmunk singing is like my kryptonite, everytime someone mentions that movie one of those damn songs in chipmunk voice lances thru my head.

Feb 17 - 08:10 AM

Superzone

Link O'Fett

I want to see The Secret World of Arietty so bad, but it's not playing where I live! :( :( :(

Feb 16 - 10:31 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

Do you know how many theaters Arietty is playing in? I think when Ponyo was released in the US in 2009 I think it was only in 900 theaters or so, so only barely wide release. Disney has marketed this film much more than Ponyo but general American audiences are fairly wary of Japanese animation so its certain that Arietty is the least wide release of this weekend.

Feb 17 - 10:05 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

It's worth noting that the Ghibli-Total Recall page has generated twice the comments as any of the other current pages, with overwhelming support of their efforts. True, that's not exactly reflective of mainstream audiences, but, gee, it's got to be worth something.

Feb 18 - 12:58 PM

Feb 16 - 10:40 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Not surprised at the awful reviews for Ghost Rider 2, given how poorly early test screenings for the film went with most calling the first oscar worthy compared to the second. I don't see it doing that well at the box office either, given that it's coming five years after a not so well recieved first film and it's marketing so far seems to be targetting fanboys only.

I was actual hoping that This Means War might be a - well not a great film, but a fun cheezy popcorn film. Oh well, I still got True Lies on DVD, might as well watch that again instead. Will try to see the Secret World of Arrietty as soon as possible. Really hope it does well.

Feb 16 - 11:22 PM

Daniel Davis

Daniel Davis

Most predictions are saying it will make 30 million or more.

Feb 17 - 10:51 AM

Nelson Verdejo

Nelson Verdejo

i just saw it ... its as bad as the first one, but only a tiny notch above it because this one at least has some more violence and Blackout is slightly more menacing as a villain than Blackheart ... there is some fight in the villains here unlike the first one where they die so easily, but the movie as a whole is bad and instantly forgettable ... doesn't do the Ghost Rider character justice whatsoever

Feb 16 - 11:54 PM

King  S.

King Simba

I don't think anyone's under the impression that Secret World of Arrietty is going to be in Japanese. The trailers established that well enough. I think it's simply because anime just doesn't sell well in the US. In fact, any animated movie that isn't sold as partly comedy typically struggles. Even science fiction and action animated films don't perform very well either.

Feb 16 - 11:57 PM

Swampfox

Pat Marion

No matter how hard I try, I just can't get into anime. I've seen at least 4 Hayao Miyazaki films and they just don't do anything other than mildly entertain me. I've never gotten the craze about it. In my opinion, the animation is much worse and while the stories might be inventive and original, it's ruined by the animation to me. American audiences have a hard time embracing that because it's completely different than our particular brand of animation (Aladdin, Lion King). I won't hold anything against the film but, I will never see it because the animation bothers the hell out of me haha

Feb 17 - 07:50 AM

Dave J

Dave J

Another good point, King S. since they're alot of animation stuff always shown on tv 24 7, but as I recall some of the Disney old animat did perform well, the last Disney cartoon that performed well was "Princess and the Frog" 104 million in 2009 and "Lilo and Stitch" made 145 milllion in 2005, and then the rerelease of "The Lion King" in 3D which made an additonal 94 million dollars as opposed to "Spirited Away" which won the Oscar for best animated film in 2002 but can make 10 million dollars in North America as opposed to "it" being around the world 264 million dollars so in some retropects North Americans have the least amount of appreciation for Japan animation in comparison to the rest of the world! And the other thing to consider is the setting, that because it's Japanese young children would be incapable to understand it or that theirs a misconception that it's going to preach Japanese culture; a culture kids as well as parents would not conform to! And I want to tell you something, I was looking forward spending money to see "Spirited Away" on the theatre but because of the sh-tty box office take in the big cities, it never made it to my local area despite the high RT score!

Feb 17 - 11:51 AM

Dave J

Dave J

Swampfox, lets' say that this kind of "animation" bothers you, so what you're suggesting is that you prefer old Disney style animation over the Japan animation-right! Then what this means is that the fact that much of the old style animation that involve many talking animals and talking immediate objects with alot of pointless singing appeals to you more than talking people which also means that you of the 1% percent out of the 99% prefer cartoons intended for "children" since that's all Disney 'does'(except for the odd one there unrelated to Disney like "Heavy Metal" made in 1981 and the "Dead Space" cartoons for instance) than seeing cartoons intended for adults since half of Japanese cartoons are "not' intended for children and are only intended for adults which includes "Naruto", "Death Note", "Bleach", "Akira", "Ghost In The Shell", and every Japanese vampire cartoon which includes "Vampire Hunter D" and "Blood", since the animation is pretty much the 'same' as Miyazaki's animation except that he's hand drawn every frame as opposed to others!

And if you play RPG's on your game council, a very high percentage of them are animated out of Japan which includes the .hack and the Final Fantasy series and Silent Hill to the Clock Tower ! In my opinion, you're either not being realistic or you don't know what you're saying!

Feb 17 - 12:24 PM

Swampfox

Pat Marion

Well I'm pretty sure I do know what I'm talking about considering it's a matter of taste about what type of animation I enjoy. I don't like RPG's. I don't like Final Fantasy or any game similar to it. I stick to my FPS, Battlefield, Half Life, C:SS.

I do prefer the old Disney style because I grew up with it. As did nearly everyone in the United States. I'm 22 and I can still go back and watch Aladdin and the Lion King and enjoy them just as much as I do now. If a cartoon is done right, it can appeal to kids and adults alike. Pixar is a wonderful example of that. I also enjoy several different types of animation in the TV world as well. Family Guy, South Park, and Archer are all excellent in my opinion. Archer is my favorite show on television and has a very unique style of animation which is 200% geared towards adults and not children.

So don't presume I'm not being realistic when I am. It's called a difference in taste, and I don't enjoy Japanese animation. There's nothing wrong with that.

Feb 17 - 12:24 PM

King  S.

King Simba

I never said 2-d animation was unpopular, what matters is how it's sold. Princess and the Frog had Disney going back to its fairy tale roots, which it's most well known for, plus it was sold as a light-hearted comedy. Similarly, Lilo and Stitch was also sold as a comedy, with the early teasers featuring Stitch interrupting classical scenes in some of Disney's most popular films, while all of the darker elements were downplayed in the trailers. On the other hand, Treasure Planet, which was sold as an epic action film ended up bombing horridly despite okay reviews. Animation seems to mainly do well when it's sold as a comedy (Even Pixar, despite their brand name, will advertise the more light hearted humor of their films rather than the darker themes, with Wall-e being a prime example where the trailers were nothing like the actual film)

Also, regarding Spirited Away, yes it made 264 mil WW, but nearly all of that came from its native Japan, so it wasn't just America where the film was barely noticed. Yeah, I agree that there are some cultural aspects that limited its appeal (unlike say Finding Nemo, where the story of the father looking for his son had universal appeal) but I also think it's simply because anime isn't that popular in a lot of places.

Feb 17 - 12:51 PM

Dave J

Dave J

But I'm not completely wrong though since FPS originally derived from Japan and you may have a point there's nothing wrong with your taste- it's just unusual but I shouldn't be surprised! And when you say that you can't stand Japan animation at all, this includes anything shown on tv, am I correct rated R or otherwise! Does this include all horror films based on Japan animation, just wondering?

Feb 17 - 01:03 PM

Dave J

Dave J

The comedy part didn't register well and I'm going to have to say that you could be right since there isn't a heck of alot of "comedy" routines shown on Miyazaki films but I think I was basing it on my own experience since I never laughed at a lot of Disney cartoons even though some of the things shown were supposed to be funny! That they may be funny to the child but sometimes not to the adults so good point- that and the build up!

Feb 17 - 01:21 PM

misterkyle1901

kyle T

Swapfox, this isn't meant to be offensive, but I think the fact that the style of animation gets in the way of you enjoying the story is much like when people say that subtitles in a foreign language film bothers them. Its something you gotta get over--most people don't but then they miss out on something great. At the same time, you may not enjoy every Anime movie/show, but there are thousands to choose from... if you've got netflix or hulu, give a few more a shot.

Feb 17 - 01:34 PM

Swampfox

Pat Marion

I love foreign films with subtitles. Though, I have a hard time watching so many of them after all of my damn film classes. I don't view it as something I can "get over" because it's all visual. I enjoy reading subtitles, I hate watching dubbed films, it ruins the experience.

Visually speaking, I don't like the appeal of anime. If it's covering the whole screen I just can't deal with it. I don't doubt that there are a lot of great stories and great concepts within anime, I just can't get past it visually. I like Japanese related things such as Ninja Warrior, horror films, any type of Kung-Fu, and what not. I just don't enjoy their animation.

I know a lot of people that don't actually like Archer because the animation bothers them. Same thing with South Park.

I've tried Bleach, Full Metal Alchemist, and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I at least gave it a shot haha. It just doesn't appeal to me. I guess I just don't get it.

Feb 17 - 01:43 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Actually Swampfox, I know alot of people who're just like you when the only reason they would check it out is because they know someone that does and that someone happens to be me, but in actual reality, it's just not their thing as well they don't like RPG's either because they're too long and prefer "Third" or "First" person shooting games even though a good percentage of them are from Japan nor watch anything that's similar to Japanese animation. It's funny that 'I' don't notice any of them since they never bring it up except that if it gets mentioned on line, I'd feel the need to respond!

Feb 17 - 02:00 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Swamp, 'Kung Fu' isn't Japanese. Not that it matters. I've always loved Anime, going back to "Battle of the Planets" and "Tranzor Z", much less later stuff like "Voltron" and "Robotech", and so did many of my friends. So I honestly think you're all a little cracked in thinking that Americans just can't handle this stuff. "Transformers" was Japanese (Micromen), and it's idiotic to imagine "Thundercats" as not being heavily influenced by Anime. Ghibli and Miyazaki represent a far more humane and mature form of the genre. The stories and imagination of these films speak for themselves, but I can't see any hinderance in the beautiful animation that could be considered an irritant.

Feb 17 - 07:03 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Feb 16 - 11:59 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Feb 17 - 08:10 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Okay, I'll admit I don't always agree with critics, and there are plenty of films that earned mixed reviews that I liked. However, I simply can't recall a film that earned 10% positive reviews that I liked. When every 9 out of 10 critics give a film a bad review, there's definitely something seriously wrong with the film than simply citics being too strict or being burned out from this type of movie or having expectations that were too high.

Feb 17 - 12:04 AM

John Festle

John Festle

How is that a troll comment? Jw

Feb 17 - 12:43 AM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

Feb 17 - 06:21 PM

Feb 17 - 10:24 PM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

Want to see Arrietty. I would see Bullhead and Undefeated too, but odds are we won't get them here until after the Oscars.

Feb 17 - 04:18 AM

Lammert Verhoeven

Lammert Verhoeven

Go see Bullhead, go see Bullhead, go see Bullhead!!! Absolutely the best foreign language nominee. Please go see it, it rips your heart out and will haunt you for days.

Feb 17 - 05:21 AM

John H.

John Hurson

Well, far be it for me to speak for "people", but the appeal for me lay in the on-location shooting and the stunt work. I 've grown really weary of these real world/cartoon mash-ups where actual people are interacting with entirely digital ones, while walking back and forth between the real world & a cartoon digital world. It's a nice change to see real people doing real things in the real world, with just enough digital effects to flavor the action. Ghost Rider:Spirt of Vengeance may still be a terrible film, but the above mentioned elements are the draw for me.

Feb 17 - 05:26 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday