18% Transcendence Apr 18

January 26, 2014
three stars
Nick D

February 18, 2012
A fantastic movie no matter what critics may say! Full throttle action scenes and some fantastic acting. Some lines may be cheesy but hey, what the heck, its a superhero movie! This movie is definitely worth seeing, and a great opening to the Comic Book Movie season of 2012
Eugene B

December 7, 2012
With the somewhat-incoherency of directors Neveldine & Taylor, Spirit of Vengeance is much more weaker than its already failing predecessor. The tiring script and mostly a predictably performance from its cast, including its protagonist in Nicolas Cage, makes waste of this satanic Marvel anti-hero. 1/5
Anthony L

December 5, 2012
Mark Steven Johnson was an odd choice of director for the first Ghost Rider, I suppose Mark Neveldine & Brian Taylor were more obvious choices but they've not come a long way since Crank, they now seem to be the go to guys for 'in your face effects at the expensive of any real substance'. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance is a better film than the first due to its better effects and darker character. The skull looks better. The story is however and 50/50 balance of ridiculous and dull. Dare I say it, the first film had more going for it story-wise. The only bits of this film I really enjoyed were the comedy moments but then I'm not sure they were intentional. The ending got so stupid and confusing that I just didn't care anymore and I wanted it to end. One star for effects.
Dean !

April 3, 2011
An average sequel at best, done with a smaller budget by the looks of it. It has quite a good crop of British actors who many will recognise. The action scenes are ok, bike stunts pretty good and the CGI for the bike, flaming skull are decent. It just really falls down on the plot more than anything. Don't expect anything outstanding.
skactopus
skactopus

August 16, 2012
There's a tag team in the director's chair with Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor. Unfortunately, they can't do anything with Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.90 minutes is apparently too long of a run-time to fill, even with as brisk a pace as this film has. The flashbacks are apparently enough to render the previous film useless, while the plot is weak and erratic, minimizing any flow this picture seems to have.The action is solid, but there isn't enough of it, given everything else that happens throughout the story. The shaky camerawork and eccentric editing don't help either. The CG is a mixed bag. Most of the effects are obvious; however the look of Ghost Rider is a plus.Nicolas Cage seems out of it at first, but once he lets loose he has some pretty amusing spurts. Violante Placido is easy on the eyes, while Ciaran Hinds and Johnny Whitworth are obvious villains.Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance doesn't offer a whole lot to recommend, let alone talk about. Skip.
Luke B

July 17, 2012
Nicolas Cage must have some big balls to return to this franchise. After the appalling reaction to the first film this series should have died immediately. Well Cage is back and he promised us a little something extra. What we got was a lot worse. We have a plot of no real significance, where the devil is trying to kidnap a boy so he can take his body. Ghost Rider tries to stop it. This films biggest crime is being insanely boring. Cage showed us how to have stupid violent fun with Drive Angry, so why can't he do this correctly? It's set in 'Eastern Europe', a place with no discernible landmarks or colour. It's like the old quarry sets from Doctor Who. Everything is just dusty and gray. Nothing else happens. We have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd act fight scene, which are all the same. The actors are barely that, with only Elba giving it a shot. Cage just comes off as confused. It's like he saw that 'Nic Cage Loses His Shit' internet video and wanted to create more material for it. I think they tried to develop a caring relationship between him and a child, but what the hell is this? ET? The direction is also piss-poor. Neveldine and Taylor may be able to create weird and exciting visuals for things like Crank, but this needs some focus. A few monologues suggest that it wants to be a comedy but the jokes fall flat. I've already forgotten this film and I finished watching it 10 minutes ago.
Josh L

July 6, 2012
If you thought the first one was bad ( I thought it was mediocre), you are in for a whole other deal here. Where the first movie was cheesy and gibberish, this one is completely over the top and ridiculous. It's almost hard to believe that two completely different takes on this universe both fit, but they did. This one definitely is alot loonier than the first, but it was expected this time and kind of boring to watch. Nic Cage can do this kind of performance in his sleep. The story makes little sense and is hard to follow while the action & special effects don't offer anything out of the ordinary for this kind of movie. At least the first one had Eva Mendes to soothe the eyes.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

November 9, 2011
A Marvel film far under the average.

Not a great sequel!!! I was real excited about a sequel to Ghost Rider. I liked the first one. I was very disappointed. Everything is horrible about this movie. The plot, the writing, the acting, and especially the special effects. In the first move, the flaming skull was sharp, the bike was great, the riders expressions were great. In this movie, the flaming bike looked broken down, the skull wasn't sharp, and the jacket charred. The chain never lit up on fire either. And the penance stare was different. He didn't say look into my eyes or anything. Not to mention again that the writing and the plot were garbage.

In Eastern Europe, a commando led by Ray Carrigan attacks a fortress protected by monks to abduct the boy Danny. However his mother Nadya rescues him while the priest Moreau protects them riding his motorcycle and they escape. Moreau seeks out Johnny Blaze and offers to set him free of his Ghost Rider curse provided he protects Danny from Roarke, with whom Johnny made a deal years ago to save his father. Meanwhile Ray subdues Nadya, but the Ghost Rider finds them and fights against Ray's gang. However, Ray uses a powerful weapon against the Ghost Rider and succeeds in abducting Danny. When Johnny Blaze awakes in the hospital, he joins to Nadya and Moreau to save Danny from Roarke and Ray.
3niR
3niR

March 11, 2011
Was there any point to make a sequel?
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

December 17, 2010
Cast: Nicolas Cage, Ciarán Hinds, Violante Placido, Johnny Whitworth, Christopher Lambert, Fergus Riordan, Idris Elba

Director: Mark Neveldine, Brian Taylor

Summary: When the devil resurfaces with aims to take over the world in human form, Johnny Blaze (Nicolas Cage) reluctantly comes out of hiding to transform into the flame-spewing supernatural hero Ghost Rider -- and rescue a 10-year-old boy from an unsavory end.

My Thoughts: "I enjoyed the first movie, this one..it was beyond ridiculous. I think Nicolas Cage over did his character. In the first film he was quirky, weird, and kinda charming. In this one he is still weird, but not in a good way, and him as the Ghost just seemed very cartoony. I couldn't bring myself to like it. I wanted too. Plus Johnny Wright as Ray was annoying and so unbelievable as the bad guy. I cannot count how many times I rolled my eyes during this film. The story-line needs improvement. The idea isn't bad but the outcome is. It's like they put zero money into this film. It seems it was merely made to cash in on the success of the first film. It's a shame. I was looking forward to this movie. A huge disappointment."
Everett J

April 25, 2012
I really disliked "Ghost Rider", so when the sequel came out, I was like "who cares?" But being the movie nut I am, I decided to give it a chance(it was free, so why not?). First thing's first, this isn't really a sequel. It's more of a revision, new take, redo, I dunno what you would call it, but the only thing this and the first one have in common is Nicolas Cage. Cage is back as Johnny Blaze, a stunt driver who made a deal with the devil and became the Ghost Rider. In this movie, he is on a mission to save a boy, who may or may not be the son of the devil, while trying to get rid of his curse. The story is still weak, the acting is horrible, but the effects in this one are good. The Rider looks amazing, not cheesy like the first movie, but actually very bad ass. The villains are over the top, but don't come off like some video game knock off, they seem to fit in this world better. The direction of the movie is pretty bad. Shot with weird angles, and way too much bad music playing throughout, it kind of gets annoying, but its bearable. While not a good movie, it's much better than the first, and should make fans of Ghost Rider happy. Probably won't watch again, but to me, it was worth a watch. Probably not for everyone, but it could surprise ya.
Al S

June 30, 2011
An unforgettable high-energy thrill-machine of a movie that totally blows you away. It`s intense, thrilling, hard-boiled and wickedly entertaining. This movie kicks serious ass. A full-throttle, edge of your seat action-packed thriller that roars across the screen with blistering suspense and amazing special effects. A spectacular re-birth that totally delivers exactly what Ghost Rider fans want from the character and the film. Directors, Neveldine and Taylor are the perfect team to bring this character back to the screen, with their energy, craft and awesome style, this movie does nothing but rock until the very end. A stylish, well-crafted, heart-pounding and exhilarating movie. Nicolas Cage gives a surprisingly great and gritty performance, he show the characters pain and despair well and does not make a mockery of it like he did in the original. It`s darker, edgier and almost near-perfect comic book adaptation. It delivers a rollar-coaster ride of explosive action that never lets up for a minute.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

March 8, 2012
A new year, a new set of shitty Cage movies. Actually not as bad as you might think, but the flat story, tedious pacing and boring direction will put you to sleep. They got the Crank guys because, i guess, this was suppose to be very over the top. The result? Another timid PG-13 flick that never lives to any possible potential. Cage offers some good ol overacting, but it just not enough to save the product.
Mario M.
Mario M.

March 3, 2012
Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor have built their career on wildly over the top, avant-garde action films like the hyper adrenalized Crank series and searing social satire Gamer and with Marvel Studios Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, the duo have finally slowed down. The pulse pounding, take no prisoners verve that made the Crank filmstwo of the best films of the 2000's is barely detectable in in this film. Spirits of Vengeance has all the visual sophistication of a YouTube prank and all the edge of a Budweiser commercial. It can't overstated what a crushing disappointment it is to see artists of Neveldine/Taylor's caliber have made product of such low quality.

Ghost Rider: Spirits of Vengeance is the sequel to 2007's Ghost Rider and the film wisely ignores the groan all but the very basics of the earlier film. The necessary elements of its plot are recapped in a handsome motion graphics sequence: Johnny Blaze (Nicholas Cage) made a deal with The Devil (Ciarán Hinds) to trade his soul for the life of dying father, a deal that left Blaze fatherless, possessed by a vengeance demon called Zarathos and generally a train wreck of man. The schematic plot of the film that was crafted primarily by David S. Goyer follows Blaze's quest to save a young boy (Fergus Riordan) from becoming the new host of The Devil. As with most all superhero films, the plot is the least interesting part of the film. It's predictable, graceless and paced like a punk song where the band keeps losing rhythm. This isn't really a major issue since most superhero films pivot their success or failure on the dynamism of their lead actors.

This is another area in which Ghost Rider skids into oblivion. Nicholas Cage, who is rarely less than engaging in even the most transparent of cash grabs, is flat here. He has two modes in the film: a barely contained mania or a morose disaffection. The smirking whimsy that made his performance in the first Ghost Rider so diverting is gone and it's not been replaced by anything worthwhile. He's not particularly dark or anger, just tired and mildly desperate which is like spending 95 minutes listening to someone in their mid-twenties complain about the mild difficulties they've elevated to the status of real problems because of their complete lack introspection. That is to say, no fun at all.

The supporting is only slightly better. Idris Elba as alcoholic warrior monk Moreau does a rare credible French accent and handles his assigned reams of exposition well but his character is so thin as to not even be a sketch. He's the unmemorable mentor NPC in every action video game ever. Violante Placido as the to-be-possessed boy's mother is stunningly beautiful as you would imagine someone with that name being. Fergus Riordan is the type of little boy that Hollywood casting directors always pick for the role of "evil little boy." Johnny Whitworth is good as the personality free henchman he was born to play and Ciarán Hinds is epitome of Eastern European malice. Collectively they make up one of two reasons why Spirit of Vengeance is a better film than its predecessor.

The other reason is the level of crafted brought by Neveldine/Taylor. Even at their neutered worse, which this film absolute is, they are true cinematic visionaries. They don't make movies that are meant to be watched on a smartphone. They think big and fill every inch of the screen with the scope and breadth of their imaginations. Their Ghost Rider is an oddly still monster, never is a hurry to turn his opponents into fiery ash. His charred skull always swaying to the hypnotic drone of an unheard soundtrack and when Neveldine/Taylor really let loose with Rider, when he spits bullets back at goon or when he spins his chains and turns an auditorium full of devil worshipers into wisps of black smoke or when he uses his hellfire to turn a piece of construction equipment into the embodiment of being sixteen and listening to a heavy metal album for the first time the film sings. But those bass drops are few and far between in a movie that often feels like it's going to suddenly morph into a happy meal commercial.

Neveldine/Taylor can't be anything other than the sum of their interests, perversity and boundless need for visual innovation but they never should have taken on work that so strenuously limited their ability to color outside the lines. Because Ghost Rider: Spirits of Vengeance is a licensed property, it was never going to match the dizzying highs and lows of their original work. There are just too many layers of approval and too ridged a formula for a big budget superhero movie for it ever reach the realm of art but its needless frustrating to have two incredibly talented filmmakers work this hard to be that forgettable.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

March 2, 2012
"This thing... There's no conscience, just hunger. The Rider's gonna come out. And when he does, he'll destroy whoever's got it coming."

As Johnny Blaze hides out in Eastern Europe, he is called upon to stop the devil, who is trying to take human form.

REVIEW
Johnny Blaze did a deal with the Devil whereby, in order to save his father's life, he took on board a demonic persona which turns him into this fellow with a blazing skull who rides about on a blazing motor bike, dealing out poetic justice to people who have done wrong (has father died anyway: the Devil is a tricky sod). After deciding to keep the Ghost Rider persona at the end of the first film, Johnny is now finding the burden a bit heavier than he expected, when he is called upon to help preserve the life of a small boy, the Devil's son, who the Devil intends to pour his essence into. This is going to be bad news all round, so Johnny chucks in his five penn'orth. The original Ghost Rider movie was not the success it was hoped it would be: this one goes about things in a somewhat different matter. Directed (but not written) by Neveldine/Taylor (the Crank movies), Ghost Rider 2 shows clear evidence of their hyper-kinetic style and love of the outrageous.

Blaze is portrayed as a man on the age of sanity or, perhaps somewhat on the other side of it. One can understand how this might have happened to the character in the years since he acquired his lodger, and it is an interesting and entertaining development for the character - Cage has a ball when mad cackling is called upon. Ciaran Hinds (standing in for Peter Fonda as the Devil, known here as Roark) plays broad, but never quite achieves the level of sinister which would have helped. Idris Elba lends charisma to a part which requires little else of him. So - is it any good? Well, I suggest that anyone who expects films about a bloke with a burning skull riding a flaming motorbike to be anything other than popcorn movies has got unreasonable expectations. Ghost Rider 2 has an adequate story, adequate performances, several terrific action set pieces, excellent visual effects, and some sequences - the opening motor bike / car chase where the 3D is amazing. The hand-held Bourne camera work has got really old now, but I suppose it is one of the things Neveldine/Taylor do. It's fine for long shots but I still hate it close up.
Phil H

February 29, 2012
Always thought the casting of Cage for this film was wrong, a complete misfire really, a younger unknown actor may have been better I think. He certainly fits the bill with the manic possessed tortured inner-demon issues that's for sure but the guy is too old lets face it.

So they have another crack at this and basically its slightly better than the first, not much, but it does have an edge. For a start the cgi and effects overall are better than the first, the GR looks darker and more burnt with ash and grim rather than the terrible cartoon look he had before. The action is BIG as you would expect, cgi in your face boy! as flames leap around and henchmen get turned into crispy toast, nothing you haven't seen before really so I don't have to explain anymore.

A few plot queries arise for me...why does the devil require a young boy to gain human form when he already has a human form? and why not use any boy instead of going crazy trying to nab one particular boy?. Why didn't the devil just make lots of guys like 'Blackout'? and why not just do that from the start?

My original thought with 'Blaze' (not being up on the mythos) is why does he turn into the Ghost Rider in the presence of evil? surely the devil likes evil? is it because the devil wants evil souls and the GR gathers them for him? can't the devil just do this himself?

Anyway its totally popcorn overdrive and completely daft as you would expect, I think the franchise is now officially dead seeing as this has flopped even more so than the first. Solution? make it like it should be...an adult venture with an 18/R rating, simple.

So end of the day if you wanna see lots of idiotic henchmen that never learn the simple premise of 'bullets don't harm the man/creature your firing at no matter how long you hold the trigger for, so just stop damn firing and run away you utter utter morons'...see this.
Jose Z

February 27, 2012
When I knew that there was going to be a second Ghost Rider movie I really expected to be better than the first one. Now I realize that I was completely wrong and I feel so disappointed. The movie is a completely waste of time, with a lack of content and story. Although the CGI and the FX are really good, they depend and abuse on them. What can I say about the cast. Nicolas Cage is definitely awful, the only thing he does is laugh and scream all his lines. Violante Placido's performance was really weak, Ciaran Hinds as Roark is way overacted, maybe the only good performance was the one of Fergus Riordan as Danny. In conclusion, if you are one of the people that thought the first one was bad (not including me) well I recommend you not to go and watch this one andif you still want to watch it well, it's under your own risk.
Edward B

February 22, 2012
The makers of Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance have pulled off quite a feat; they managed to make a film worse than the first Ghost Rider. It is quite obvious that Sony didn't give a rat's behind about this movie and that the only reason it exists is so they don't have to give up the rights of the franchise. There's no excuse for a studio effort of a comic book movie to be this incompetent, poorly planned, and of the "direct to DVD sequel" quality.
Directors Neveldine/Taylor made a cool little flick called Crank almost six years ago. That movie was a kinetic, over the top thrill ride that felt like a video game, and it worked. Yet all Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance shows is that they can't make any other kind of movie. This movie is shot as if the tripod didn't exist. The camera continuously zooms in and out, almost always on an awkward tilt or angle, and the shots are edited together in such a frantic pace all the time that it comes off as completely amateurish and unable to set a consistent tone for the story. It's hard to care about the drama when you're feeling nauseous. The animation is equally as awful. Most of the CGI is unintentionally cartoony. There is barely any detail on the images, and it's made worse that the camera is rarely ever focused on less than five things at a time.
Nicolas Cage clearly just needed the paycheck as he puts no effort into his second portrayal as cursed stunt driver Johnny Blaze. His only one freak out moment isn't even funny in the way audiences have become accustomed to laugh at. In keeping with the comic book, Cage opts for a darker, angrier, and more anti-hero portrayal of the character, but that just means he shows less expression and speaks with longer pauses. It's a shame really because as Cage continually takes these kinds of roles that make a joke out of his career, audiences are more likely to forget what a great actor he really is. Last year, Cage starred in three massive flops - Season of the Witch, Drive Angry, and Trespass. The only thing that might put people in the seats this time around is that Ghost Rider has a comic fan base who will claim to watch this out of obligation.
There is only one scene in this movie that I actually liked. The villain of the film has the ability of decay. As he's trying to find something to eat, he picks up a slice of bread, which goes moldy before his eyes. Next, he picks up an apple, which rots just as quickly. The third thing he picks up is a twinkie. And of course, nothing happens; great meal. This scene shows that Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance at least had the aspiration to be trashy fun. Unfortunately, the film is so shoddy, badly written, and devoid of anything resembling entertainment that the experience is just plain trashy.
paul o.
paul o.

February 18, 2012
Frickin Nick Cage! I am such a big fan of Crank and Gamer but this film fell short of that greatness. His acting was as subtle as as bear at a picnic. He's literally all over the place! In the end, you can either love it for being stupid or hating it for being just so bad!