Critic Review - New York Times

There is more attention to special effects than to humor.

May 20, 2003 Full Review Source: New York Times | Comments (25)
New York Times
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

LuciousPig

Devin Gardner

I mean, did you even watch the movie?

Jul 19 - 05:41 PM

killermonkey8822

Joey Chid

this movie is a classic!.... it has so much comedy in it.... how can you even say that...... i agree with the person below me,did you even watch this?

Nov 16 - 04:25 PM

Tim Stratton

Tim Stratton

The first scene was funny and that's it. What other scenes did you find funny?

May 13 - 10:59 AM

Ed Wood

James Bevins

Drugs are bad, mmmmkay? I hope you were high on SOMETHING when you wrote this... only excuse I'll accept. Wow.

Dec 17 - 01:02 PM

The Hitchhiking Ghost

Erik Van Sant

Maslin, you old twat. 'Ghostbusters' is one of the most original, hilarious comedies of all-time. I'm sure you're the same kind of delusional New York critic who would rave about an Austin Powers movie being "cutting edge humor". Reality check: just because you write for a rag that thinks its the gospel doesn't mean you have to swallow up every last drop of its Jesus Juice.

Jul 21 - 12:24 PM

BuddyGroove

Buddy Groove

"We got this all wrong. This Mr. Stay Buff, he's a sailor in New York; if we get this guy laid we won't have a problem."

How could you not find that line funny?

Sep 7 - 11:29 AM

BuddyGroove

Buddy Groove

You're a cum dumpster, janet.

A... Cum... Dumpster.

Dec 26 - 01:10 PM

Melissa Jenkins

Melissa Jenkins

I laughed my ass off at your comment! Well played sir!

Jan 28 - 01:01 AM

Mask F.

Mask Face

you have no soul

Jun 30 - 02:17 PM

Nathan B.

Nathan Bartocci

Only an IDIOT could dislike this damn movie. Like, someone who seriously HATES comedy.

Oct 8 - 06:17 AM

JC Martel

JC Martel

What an idiot.

Nov 24 - 06:20 PM

D MAN

D MAN G

People have there opinions. That doesnt make them right though. Your very lonely on your opinion with this review.

Oct 13 - 07:21 AM

Sam H.

Sam Hillier

Call yourself a critic

Oct 18 - 12:50 PM

Marissa Evans

Marissa Smith

I can see the point being made, but I also argue that the humour works so well that the special effects don't get in the way of it. Like Ebert said in his review, it's a rare exception to the common conception that special effects ruin comedies. It's just so well-written that, honestly, the fakeness of the effects (not to put them down; I know they were different times) doesn't eclipse it.

Oct 24 - 05:28 PM

Marissa Evans

Marissa Smith

Oct 24 - 05:29 PM

This comment has been removed.

Stefano L.

Stefano Longo

Janet...listen to me...go to sell brooms...you'll make happy so many peoples!!!

May 8 - 03:04 PM

Stefano L.

Stefano Longo

Janet...listen to me...go to sell brooms...you'll make happy so many peoples!!!

May 8 - 03:07 PM

Joker. A

Angel Joker

Did you watch the movie at all???
omg..

Jul 29 - 10:16 PM

Mary Braun

Mary Braun

Is this true?
Yes it's true, this critic has no brain

Aug 7 - 08:29 PM

Derek Jensen

Derek Jensen

This review was written in 1984, at the time the film was originally released. The writer was probably having a bad day, thinking about Ronald Reagan, Nicaragua, and Irangate or something.

Nov 9 - 08:20 AM

bob  j.

bob jones

what movie did you watch because i refuse to believe it was this one.

Jan 31 - 05:28 PM

Cheyne Legris

Cheyne Legris

from 'ghostbuster's' unforgettable opening scene, which is at once terrifying and hilarious, you know you're sitting in on something special, something that defines movie magic and gives that term substance, and i'm not just talking about special effects .. no no, i'm talking about the chemistry of the leads and the pitch perfect writing in the script that lends itself to laughs big and small, my favorite being the finer more subtle humor, especially from Murray's most memorable performance .. not many films can pull of this kind of satire and be totally serious about its characters and the dangers of hunting ghosts .. who knew, right? this film set the bar for both horror and comedy genres alike, holding some of the most original cards ever slide into the deck that we now have come to know as hollywood filmmaking .. it's not perfect, but who needs perfect when you can call the ghostbusters?

Mar 1 - 05:31 PM