Ghoulies 3: Ghoulies Go to College Reviews

½ June 6, 2012
Why on earth is Kevin McCarthy in this bottom of the barrel muck? seriously?
So this time the Ghoulies are trapped within a comicbook (beats me) and as before can be controlled by whoever releases them. So the comic ends up in a college and after many obvious false starts the demons get released.

Cue lots and lots of your typical cliched, predictable, unfunny college nonsense (in typical American style) with, of course, lots of excuses for tits and ass. The tits and ass is perfectly fine in my books hehe but I think the film makers kinda forget this is suppose to be a horror comedy, not 'Porkies' with puppets.

The plot is puerile and involves two college fraternities trying to 'out prank' each other to win a trophy of sorts. This of course equals lots of trouble with teachers and eventually lots of accusations of trouble which has been caused by the ghoulies. Oh and McCarthy as the main teacher tries to control the little demons for himself, gee I wonder why.

Probably the worst and cheapest of the four films with nothing to keep you awake accept for tits and ass. The ghoulies are still decent looking puppets though and there are a few star names in there as beginners, the most fun (what there is of it) is finding them.
½ March 24, 2010
This movie is quite the spectacle. It has a cast full of recognizable names like Jason Scott Lee (Mowgli in Jungle Book), Kevin McCarthy (RJ Fletcher in UHF), Patrick Labyorteaux (Ram in Heathers), Eva La Rue (Natalia in CSI Miami) and 20 year old Matthew Lilard in his first movie. It is also amazing to me that all of these talented actors came together to work for writer director John Carl Beuchler who brought you gems like Troll and The Dungeonmaster. Either way that's all in the past now.

So Ghoulies 3, what is there to say about this ... uh ... film? It's not really a film as much as it is 94 minutes of on-screen magic seen through the eyes of a 12 year old. The very talented Kevin McCarthy plays Professor Ragnar, a crotchety old windbag of a dean who also teaches Humanities. One day he confiscates a comic book which he later reads aloud in his office, thereby conjuring the presence of the Ghoulies. One of whom is voiced by none other than Richard Kind? Really? The guy from Spin City? Anyway Prof Ragnar pits the Ghoulies against the frats during prank week and pretty soon all 2 frats on campus are at each others' throats.

This movie is really really juvenile. Like I said, basically it was made specifically for 12 year old boys. I think the 12 year old in me really liked it. I think the rest of me saw how awful it was. But I have a hard time judging this movie too harshly given the cast, director, and how much freak'n fun they must've had making this thing. This movie is the definition of guilty pleasure and I'm sure that whoever saw this in their youth is forever tainted by its strange allure. I however am not one of those, perhaps lucky, few. Instead I just kept looking away in disgust at the retarded parts, laughing at the stupid parts, and yelling "it's so and so from such and such" for the rest of the movie.

This movie is just too amazing to get anything less than a 2.5 out of 5. You simply don't see movies like this very often. There are good reasons for that but still, it's amazing that it ever was made in the first place. How do you get funding for something like this? How do you get so many great people excited about something like this? Why did this movie only get a region 2 DVD release? How did this pre-pubescent freak show get a sequel? How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop? The world may never know. (I know, it's 3)

If you get a chance to see this, I say watch it. You'll never forget it.
February 13, 2009
A bit silly but entertaining for the most part, the ghoulies weren't very threatening but they did manage to kill a few people.
½ December 29, 2008
I hate scary movies because like duh they suck but I actually <3 this stupid movie.

The beer can mountain and oh, come one, who didn't laugh at the whole...

"Prank week?"
"Prank week?"
"Pancakes!?!?!?!"
*SMACK!!!!*
May 1, 2015
Nothing more than being funny scary, Ghoulies III: Ghoulies Go To College may be the better entry of the franchise with a somewhat decent plot and some mediocre visual effects.
January 19, 2013
First we got Ghoulies, and no one cared. Then we got Ghoulies II, which was a slight improvement, but nothing to write home about. Finally we got Ghoulies III, a film that not only pokes fun at college life, but also at the movie franchise it is a part of. Though it is by no means a well-made or well-acted film, it sure is a good time. And then, of course, we got Ghoulies IV...
½ June 21, 2014
The ghoulies are transformed from a toilet into little green ghouls when a professor reads from a comic book. The mischievous little devils trash campus, inflaming a war between two fraternities. Super-lowbrow humour; sometimes silly, mostly 2nd rate Porky's-type comedy. Starring Kevin McCarthy, but best part may be Eva La Rue!
½ September 12, 2013
What were they thinking?
½ August 5, 2013
Trashy, entertaining, yet really dumb. The Ghoulies talk this time, which makes them more fun let more obnoxious. I was surprised by the number of familiar faces. The film's humor isn't really good, and the effects are cheesy, but the concept is fun.
½ May 7, 2013
I haven't seen the other entries of the Ghoulies series, but I really liked the completely retarded, but absurdly fun third entry. This film feels like a weird mix of Animal House and Three Stooges combined with the Ghoulies franchise, making for a very weird, but very fun horror comedy. I laughed, it gave me gore, it gave me shameless sex and nudity, it gave me college shenanigans - it delivered the goods to say the least. It's dumb as fuck, but being in my nature to love ridiculous B-movies, I enjoyed Ghoulies III. If you enjoy a fun, stupid horror film, be sure to check it out.
½ January 31, 2013
Glazier College will never be the same after The Ghoulies take over the campus! The creatures are unwittingly summoned by one of the professors during fraternity Prank Week, where they get in to more mischief as they terrorize the students. John Carl Buechler assumes the director's chair for the first time in the series after having designed the puppets since the original. GHOULIES 3 combines the college sex romp comedy with the zany cartoon antics of the Looney Tunes characters, going so far as to give the awful little creatures speech (not to mention their cheesy one-liners). Buechler has further improved upon their design as well for increased mobility and facial articulation. While the film strives to become the next ANIMAL HOUSE or REVENGE OF THE NERDS, the repetitive plot, forgettable characters, and endless amounts of toilet humor cause it to fall desperately short. GHOULIES 3 is just stupid and silly enough to be enjoyable, falling somewhere between the first and second film in terms of overall entertainment value.
July 4, 2009
Ghoulies go to college is my favorite movie in the whole world. I give it an excellent review. I bought the collectors edition on Amazon for 77.77 and then I spent 202.22 on a regional 2 DVD Player just to watch it.
I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!