Ghoulies 3: Ghoulies Go to College - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ghoulies 3: Ghoulies Go to College Reviews

½ June 6, 2012
Why on earth is Kevin McCarthy in this bottom of the barrel muck? seriously?
So this time the Ghoulies are trapped within a comicbook (beats me) and as before can be controlled by whoever releases them. So the comic ends up in a college and after many obvious false starts the demons get released.

Cue lots and lots of your typical cliched, predictable, unfunny college nonsense (in typical American style) with, of course, lots of excuses for tits and ass. The tits and ass is perfectly fine in my books hehe but I think the film makers kinda forget this is suppose to be a horror comedy, not 'Porkies' with puppets.

The plot is puerile and involves two college fraternities trying to 'out prank' each other to win a trophy of sorts. This of course equals lots of trouble with teachers and eventually lots of accusations of trouble which has been caused by the ghoulies. Oh and McCarthy as the main teacher tries to control the little demons for himself, gee I wonder why.

Probably the worst and cheapest of the four films with nothing to keep you awake accept for tits and ass. The ghoulies are still decent looking puppets though and there are a few star names in there as beginners, the most fun (what there is of it) is finding them.
½ November 12, 2014
Much better production values than the first two. Better cinematography, better acting, better everything really. The problem is that Ghoulies 3 is very uneven. It does feature death but it's not violent, for the most part the movie seems pretty censored. In fact there is no onscreen blood whatsoever. On the other side of mature content though, explicit nudity and language are featured multiple times throughout the film! It ends of really confusing, almost as if somebody censored the movie partially and then just gave up. This also take some of the fun out of it because, you know, it's supposed to be a horror comedy, not a really bizarre adult flick. That aside the only other noticeable problem is that the Ghoulies talk. I didn't find this funny I found it stupid. Very stupid. On the bright side the characters are like able, the dialog is decent, and the effects aren't any worse than in the others. So its still a lot of fun. 49/100
January 19, 2013
First we got Ghoulies, and no one cared. Then we got Ghoulies II, which was a slight improvement, but nothing to write home about. Finally we got Ghoulies III, a film that not only pokes fun at college life, but also at the movie franchise it is a part of. Though it is by no means a well-made or well-acted film, it sure is a good time. And then, of course, we got Ghoulies IV...
½ June 21, 2014
The ghoulies are transformed from a toilet into little green ghouls when a professor reads from a comic book. The mischievous little devils trash campus, inflaming a war between two fraternities. Super-lowbrow humour; sometimes silly, mostly 2nd rate Porky's-type comedy. Starring Kevin McCarthy, but best part may be Eva La Rue!
½ August 5, 2013
Trashy, entertaining, yet really dumb. The Ghoulies talk this time, which makes them more fun let more obnoxious. I was surprised by the number of familiar faces. The film's humor isn't really good, and the effects are cheesy, but the concept is fun.
½ May 7, 2013
I haven't seen the other entries of the Ghoulies series, but I really liked the completely retarded, but absurdly fun third entry. This film feels like a weird mix of Animal House and Three Stooges combined with the Ghoulies franchise, making for a very weird, but very fun horror comedy. I laughed, it gave me gore, it gave me shameless sex and nudity, it gave me college shenanigans - it delivered the goods to say the least. It's dumb as fuck, but being in my nature to love ridiculous B-movies, I enjoyed Ghoulies III. If you enjoy a fun, stupid horror film, be sure to check it out.
October 29, 2011
A meager improvement in special effects can't overcome silliness and toilet humor. It's at least better than the other two. That's not hard to pull off, however.
½ September 5, 2010
By the time Ghoulies III got made (Excuse me, the title card on the film reads Ghoulies Go to College), Charles Band's Empire Pictures had folded and Band was up and running his new company Full Moon Entertainment. Surprisingly the Ghoulies franchise moved on without his involvement. What?! A franchise about killer small creatures and Band has no involvement? I never thought he would let a concept like that get away from him! Still special effects creator and frequent Charles Band collaborator John Carl Buechler takes the reins of this sequel by both directing and doing the effects. Without Band's involvement Buechler is free to take the franchise in a new direction and he does by making it more of a comedy.

This time our three main ghoulies are resurrected by a comic book found hidden in a frat houses bathroom wall. When read aloud by a professor (the great Kevin McCarthy) that recently confiscated the comic book, they rise up from their demonic toilet to cause chaos on a college campus. Now our main character, a prankster who heads the fraternity has to earn the love back of his girl while at the same time clearing his name and stopping the Ghoulies and their new master.

Some fans may be disappointed that the franchise takes a comedic turn but to be honest fellas, the first two entries sucked and were only good for unintentional laughs. Buechler knows this and decides to have fun with the concept. He even makes a toilet, which were predominate on all the promotional posters in the series up till this point, and makes it a integral plot device. That takes talent to do that!

The characters for this type of B-picture are standard but the ghoulies are a little different. First of all the special effects are MUCH better than the first two films. The ghoulies in the original looked like toys that had been left out in the sun too long. Here they look fucking great as Buechler must have put a lot more time and effort into their creation. They also move better and even talk! Yes the ghoulies talk in this film and try to make funny one liners.

Not surprisingly most of the jokes fall flat but I did get a chuckle here and there, especially during a scene when a ghoulie grabs a beer from a fridge only to have a whole mountain of cans fall on them. Some of the humor is also rather slap sticky and cartoony, especially when they kill a women by wrapping her tongue around her neck and also killing a woman by pulling her face with a plunger.

Ghoulies III may get a few chuckles but it is still a pretty lame film but to be honest it's the least lame of a really LAME franchise. This one at least has the decency to know it's got a bad concept and doesn't take itself seriously and it has enough stupid fun for a viewing. For some damn reason this is the only film in the series that doesn't have a DVD release in the United States. Come on Lionsgate! I want to complete my Ghoulies tetralogy on DVD! I was regulated to watching an extremely wore out ex-rental VHS and I want to see my ghoulies digitally mastered!
½ March 24, 2010
This movie is quite the spectacle. It has a cast full of recognizable names like Jason Scott Lee (Mowgli in Jungle Book), Kevin McCarthy (RJ Fletcher in UHF), Patrick Labyorteaux (Ram in Heathers), Eva La Rue (Natalia in CSI Miami) and 20 year old Matthew Lilard in his first movie. It is also amazing to me that all of these talented actors came together to work for writer director John Carl Beuchler who brought you gems like Troll and The Dungeonmaster. Either way that's all in the past now.

So Ghoulies 3, what is there to say about this ... uh ... film? It's not really a film as much as it is 94 minutes of on-screen magic seen through the eyes of a 12 year old. The very talented Kevin McCarthy plays Professor Ragnar, a crotchety old windbag of a dean who also teaches Humanities. One day he confiscates a comic book which he later reads aloud in his office, thereby conjuring the presence of the Ghoulies. One of whom is voiced by none other than Richard Kind? Really? The guy from Spin City? Anyway Prof Ragnar pits the Ghoulies against the frats during prank week and pretty soon all 2 frats on campus are at each others' throats.

This movie is really really juvenile. Like I said, basically it was made specifically for 12 year old boys. I think the 12 year old in me really liked it. I think the rest of me saw how awful it was. But I have a hard time judging this movie too harshly given the cast, director, and how much freak'n fun they must've had making this thing. This movie is the definition of guilty pleasure and I'm sure that whoever saw this in their youth is forever tainted by its strange allure. I however am not one of those, perhaps lucky, few. Instead I just kept looking away in disgust at the retarded parts, laughing at the stupid parts, and yelling "it's so and so from such and such" for the rest of the movie.

This movie is just too amazing to get anything less than a 2.5 out of 5. You simply don't see movies like this very often. There are good reasons for that but still, it's amazing that it ever was made in the first place. How do you get funding for something like this? How do you get so many great people excited about something like this? Why did this movie only get a region 2 DVD release? How did this pre-pubescent freak show get a sequel? How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop? The world may never know. (I know, it's 3)

If you get a chance to see this, I say watch it. You'll never forget it.
July 4, 2009
Ghoulies go to college is my favorite movie in the whole world. I give it an excellent review. I bought the collectors edition on Amazon for 77.77 and then I spent 202.22 on a regional 2 DVD Player just to watch it.
I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!
Thanks
Derek Blair

PS Rest in peace Michael Jackson
½ April 30, 2008
Wow, Ghoulies 3: Ghoulies Go to College is a sexual sandwich of hilarity and preposterousness as a loony professor (the great Kevin McCarthy) brings the ghoulies out from the bowels of the toilet bowl and into the local University's frat/sorority houses where students are engaged in an all out prank war to win the coveted prank trophy. Naturally, the Ghoulies (who talk and engage in Loony Tune-style antics) also pull some pranks of their own, causing war amongst the frats to grow. They should have called it Tits-O-Rama, because at 10 years old, I had NEVER seen so many titties bouncing around in my life. Aside from Kevin McCarthy adding a great tongue in cheek, crazy performance, there are some minor roles from the likes of Matthew Lillard (Scooby-Doo, Scream), Jason Scott Lee (Jungle Book, Dragon), Thom Adcox-Hernandez (Popcorn), Billy Morrissette (Severed Ties), Marcia Wallace (Mrs. Krabappel from The Simpsons), and a blink and you'll miss him cameo from then-stunt coordinator Kane Hodder (Jason from several Friday the 13th's, Hatchet, etc) as a college student riding a renegade mop bucket. Honestly, this movie is BEYOND corny and cartoony, but I couldn't help but enjoy it. It was made in 1991, but very much stuck in the 80's mentality. The mass amounts of college stereotypes this film presents are just as hilarious to watch nowadays as they were then. Direction was provided by the infamous John Carl Buechler, whose done many films, whether it be direction or special effects. This is a great popcorn film that needs to be put out on DVD here in the states. Love it.
February 13, 2009
A bit silly but entertaining for the most part, the ghoulies weren't very threatening but they did manage to kill a few people.
½ December 29, 2008
I hate scary movies because like duh they suck but I actually <3 this stupid movie.

The beer can mountain and oh, come one, who didn't laugh at the whole...

"Prank week?"
"Prank week?"
"Pancakes!?!?!?!"
*SMACK!!!!*
July 8, 2015
The worst of the original trilogy by far. A little bit of the sex factor that the '80s horror slasher's were known for were brought to this entry in the comedy horror supernatural monster slasher series. It's a weird one folks. Still 1 is easily the best. It was more of a college-era coming of age film with some drama and romance and honestly the ghoulies played a very pointless angle. The flying ghoulie from 2 drops off in this entry unfortunately.

What I don't understand about this series is that it seems like they can do whatever they want. I don't know, all their awkward murders were under their own control. I didn't really care for this movie at all. It's heavily censored on TV, if you want to watch it now, see it on Netflix or Amazon.
May 1, 2015
Nothing more than being funny scary, Ghoulies III: Ghoulies Go To College may be the better entry of the franchise with a somewhat decent plot and some mediocre visual effects.
½ November 12, 2014
January 19, 2013
½ June 21, 2014
March 2, 2014
A College professor who rules with an iron fist confiscates a comic book of a stoner who attends his class, and he inadvertently ends up raising the Ghoulies - hilarity and wacky behaviour ensues! Directed by John Carl Buechler of Troll 'Fame;... pure shite but in the most enjoyable way, still better than Twilight.
½ September 12, 2013