The RT community shows its true colors

Yeah...people on this site are absolute jerks. If you like a movie that they don't like, they flame you for it. And don't get me started on the trolls. Why is Rotten Tomatoes filled with so much hate? Nobody on this site is kind enough to respect other opinions on film.
Alec Low
03-28-2013 07:38 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Greg Price

Greg Price

The simple truth (at least as far as these types of films are concerned) is that there are two main camps of trolls just waiting to pounce on the material: ungrateful foreigners (esp Europeans) who hate the US and self-loathing US citizens who have drunk the "US = evil" Kool Aid. Positive depictions of US nationalism and patriotism are like red flags in front of a bull with them.

Same type of haters trashed Independence Day and Red Dawn (both versions).

Jun 27 - 06:38 AM

Dingbat Charlie

Dingbat Charlie

because faggots like movies too and take their picks so seriously that they shit their pants with rage when they are not 100% seen as the standard for taste.

Apr 11 - 09:30 PM

Dingbat Charlie

Dingbat Charlie

Which is why I troll, their reactions are hilarious on things that don't even matter.

Apr 11 - 09:32 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

God, I miss the Hobbit forum...funny shit.

Apr 12 - 09:40 AM

Jamie Pinson

Jamie Pinson

Don't let it get to you and don't take it personal. Usually I've found that it all starts like this. "OMG this movie rocked and you're all !@#$%% (Insert choice words here)" Which obviously gets a response back and then it goes back and forth. It takes two sides to argue. Besides there's absolutely nothing wrong with a good heated argument every so often. People are passionate about their opinions but at the end of the day they're just opinions. I don't recall ever seeing anyone saying you're not allowed to enjoy a movie they hate. Even if they did how could they possibly enforce that?

Apr 7 - 05:42 PM

Diego Tutweiller

The Majestic Pigbutt Worm

Um... yes please. If you can't take the heat, don't go on the internet. And if you think this is bad, I implore you, DON'T LOOK AT THE COMMENTS SECTION ON YOUTUBE.

Apr 1 - 05:21 PM

Pratap Tiwari

Pratap Tiwari

I enjoyed watching G i joe

Apr 1 - 12:33 PM

Lancol E.

Lancol Et

I'm not sure but you may need a tampon for your vagina. Quit crying.

Mar 29 - 08:35 PM

Alec Low

Alec Low

Insulting people over the internet will get you nowhere

Mar 31 - 09:26 PM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

That's true. But it's kind of annoying when the same person keeps commenting all over the place telling everyone that it's good when it probably isn't. I think if someone has a fair reason to like or dislike a movie than their opinion is fine. People are probably too harsh but that's the internet.

Mar 29 - 05:23 PM

Alec Low

Alec Low

Well the metacritic community is better. They don't take a shit on those who think differently

Mar 31 - 09:30 PM

Peter Anders

Peter Anders

oh yes they do, but don't lose sleep over this, there are plenty of assholes online

Apr 6 - 04:19 PM

A Wise M.

A Wise Man

I don't always read stupid posts..but when I do the author is stupid.

Mar 29 - 02:44 PM

Alec Low

Alec Low

Mar 31 - 09:26 PM

zinc alloy

zinc alloy

Let me guess Alec...you were jumping up and down when this dung pile was in the 80's then reality struck and you want to vent on film fans who know spew when they see it.

Mar 29 - 02:07 PM

Alec Low

Alec Low

I never said I liked this film.

Mar 31 - 09:28 PM

zinc alloy

zinc alloy

I said 'let me guess'....

Apr 1 - 10:13 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

I don't like to put people down for what they like (except Movie 43... okay and The Host) but I often argue with people over movies because its fun to me I like to see other peoples opinions on movies that I liked or dislike. I'm very passionate about cinema so if you ever see me in a heated debate with another person with fucks, shits, and dammit's flying everywhere thats my inner movie geek at work.

Mar 29 - 12:36 PM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

Alec, here's the thing...I've been guilty of being the exact kind of person that you're describing and you really need to just not let it bother you. Sometimes, finding humor in those types of things can be therapeutic. Rotten Tomatoes is not the most abrasive site on the internet. Youtube is worse and heaven forbid you should visit 4chan. Just have fun with it, man.

Mar 29 - 10:39 AM

Alec Low

Alec Low

I disagree. Youtube is better. Made reviews on there for a year now and have had no problems

Mar 31 - 09:34 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

That is one of the funniest statements I have ever heard

Apr 1 - 01:02 PM

Matt Lane

Matt Lane

I think i saw Alec squatting to pee

Mar 29 - 10:18 AM

Alec Low

Alec Low

Mar 31 - 09:27 PM

Kenneth Elliott

Kenneth Elliott

Agree with Alec Low. I can't talk about films that I like which most people hate (yes, I did actually like Phantom Menace,) for fear of getting bashed left and right. Moderators should really delete all hate comments. But on the good side, this site is tame compared to some comments I've heard on aintitcool.com

Mar 29 - 09:33 AM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

That's censorship, and that's wrong. Death threats, I can see, though. But I don't see much of those since the whole Dark Knight Rises fiasco.

Mar 29 - 09:42 AM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

There were death threats in the The Dark Knight Rises forum?

Mar 29 - 10:35 AM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

No. before there were these forums, people commented on critic reviews. A bunch of enraged fanboys gave death threats to critics who gave TDKR a rotten review. It was biggish news. Even got a Yahoo! article.

Mar 29 - 10:47 AM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

Jesus, man.

Mar 29 - 04:12 PM

Alex M.

Hipster Elitist Maverick

Oh yeah, I remember that. Some dipshits were making death threats to critics because they didn't like TDKR. I bet most of them were under the age of 12.

Mar 29 - 04:14 PM

Jerry  B.

Jerry (Go Adam Sandler!) Diablo Jersey who met Bradley Cooper

I liked a lot of Adam Sandler films and everyone bashes me!

Mar 29 - 07:39 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

I like SOME Adam Sandler films.

Mar 29 - 08:11 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Welcome to the internet.

Mar 28 - 07:46 PM

Alec Low

Alec Low

no. there is no other community this bad. not even on youtube. people should understand that

Mar 28 - 07:47 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Eh, I'll have to disagree. You'll find trolls/jerks any site you got to. Hell, even IMDb, another big movie site, has it pretty bad. I don't think RT is any worse.

What have you experienced that was so terrible?

Mar 28 - 07:50 PM

Alec Low

Alec Low

"Ha! You like that movie? It has a low score on this site! Therefore, you can't like it!" No seriously, people let the tomatometer decide whether its good or bad. Its a good reference, but people need to form their own thoughts instead of a website deciding everything for them.

Mar 28 - 07:57 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

I totally agree. People put way too much merit into a number. If you are anticipating a movie, by all means go and see it, regardless of a score.

I just see the tomatometer as a helpful tool for films I don't know much about. Sometimes it's led me to see great movies I wouldn't normally be interested in.

Mar 28 - 08:01 PM

scifimark

scifi mark

The number isnt really that important. The reasoning why the critics like it or dont is more valuable in getting an understanding for a movie

Mar 29 - 10:38 AM

Lancol E.

Lancol Et

This movie sucks like your mom does

Mar 28 - 08:06 PM

Alec Low

Alec Low

yup, people like you are exactly what i'm talking about. thanks for proving my point. lol

Mar 28 - 08:10 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Alec, you just have to have a sense of humor about this kind of stuff.

Mar 28 - 08:12 PM

Taylor B.

Taylor Born

IMDB is much worse

Mar 28 - 09:29 PM

A Wise M.

A Wise Man

You should see "The Grey" it was a great movie... until the animal activists heard about it...then the review section got trashed.

Mar 29 - 02:45 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

I love animals, but I hate animal activists. They are incredibly obnoxious. That's why I liked the opening to 28 Days Later.

Mar 29 - 02:47 PM

Alec Low

Alec Low

Let me guess, PETA complained about it?

Mar 31 - 09:31 PM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

Or even worse, on Zero Dark Thirty when everyone was saying that it was propaganda before they even saw it.

Apr 1 - 02:42 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile