Marlon Wayans Enlists for G.I. Joe

That kid from 3rd Rock from the Sun to follow?

Say what you will about movies such as Little Man, but Marlon Wayans is officially a real American hero.

Variety reports that Wayans has joined the cast of Paramount's Stephen Sommers-directed G.I. Joe adaptation, taking on the role of HALO jumper Wallace A. Weems, also known as Ripcord. (The article describes the character as the "leader of the military unit.")

Ripcord checking in for his physical

Wayans joins a cast that already includes Sienna Miller, Rachel Nichols, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Ray Park, and Said Taghmaoui (try saying that ten times fast) -- and according to Variety, Joseph Gordon-Levitt will likely be the next addition to the team. Sommers' G.I. Joe, which is apparently "set 10 years in the future," is scheduled for an August 7, 2009 release.

Source: Variety

Comments

helmetinthebush

Brian -

so it's going to be either a comedy or a satire? gross casting so far... the only actor i like in there is Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and he's still too young to be casted in this kind of movie, unless there's a kid G.I. Joe i'm unaware of... maybe he can play one of those kids in one of the Public Service Announcements they always did...
who wants a body massage!?

Does anyone ever stop to think that certain ideas/toy franchises should just not be made into movies? I swear if they make a live-action my little pony movie... the 4 horses of the apocalypse anyone?

Jan 7 - 07:43 AM

dahluzz

joe shmo

gordon-levitt was looking older in 'killshot.' it may go down the way 'alpha dog' turned ben foster into a grown-up and by '3:10 to yuma' he was looking old and grizzled. and i think ray park is well-cast as snake eyes.

the 10 years in the future angle is encouraging because it may explain the laser guns. still, i'm keeping my expectations nice and low to leave some sort of room for a pleasant surprise.

Jan 7 - 10:17 AM

helmetinthebush

Brian -

okay by the way, the G.I. Joe PSA overdubs that have been around forever are STILL hilarous. Porkchop Sandwiches!

Jan 7 - 07:48 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

What the hell who's he supposed to be playing Roadblock?

Jan 7 - 07:53 AM

Mr. Poopoopachu

Barry Pepper

LOST's "Mr. Ecco" is playing Roadblock.

Jan 7 - 08:10 AM

Mahapralaya

Myles Brennen

I like Marlon, and I'm glad to see he's gonna be in something non-wayans related. As we know, his filmography is not indicative of how talented he is (check out Requiem for a Dream).

Jan 7 - 08:20 AM

kdbarrett

Kevin Barrett

Hey, helmutinthebush, that's a great idea for a My Little Pony movie: "My Four Little Ponies of the Apocalypse"!

Mr. Poopoopachu, that was "Mr. Eko." "Ecco" was a dolphin. :-)

Jan 7 - 08:36 AM

Astr0creep

Mega Mann

He's playing Heavy Duty, not Roadblock.

Jan 7 - 09:22 AM

dahluzz

joe shmo

Jan 7 - 10:17 AM

apostate

Colin Schmied

Who the hell is ripcord? I was pretty in to the GI Joe universe back in the day and I don't remember anyone name ripcord. Was this a character they added later?

Jan 7 - 10:34 AM

taran72

Dan Mills

Marlon does not bode well for this project, which is already on the fast track to big-time bomb. I'm pretty sure that Joseph Gordon-Levitt would rather take a long walk off a short pier and hug an octopus before he got involved with this car wreck. That sounds like wishful thinking at best, straight-up bull**** rumors at worst.

Jan 7 - 11:00 AM

Away.

spoofy mcspoofington

Heh, Marlon Wayans is the Kiss of Death for any movie. I feel comfortable writing this one off now.

Jan 7 - 11:04 AM

Darklighter

Dean Simon

First of all, could you people read the article before commenting on it? Where are you getting Roadblock and Heavy Duty from?

Anyway, Ripcord was in the 1984 line of Joes along with the first appearances of Duke, Roadblock, Spirit, Storm Shadow, Baroness and Zartan. I'm happy they're sticking to the classic joes and you should be too. You probably don't know Rip Cord because he was in the comics a lot more than the TV show. HALO stands for High-Altitude Low-Opening. So basically he jumps out of planes and doesn't open his chute until the last minute.

The real problem here is that Rip Cord is white and Marlon Waynes is not. Please stick to the original character descriptions Sommers.

Now you know.

Jan 7 - 11:04 AM

Havokdx

Jonathan Sabo

And knowing is half the battle......

Jan 7 - 11:20 AM

RainNIU

Justin Woo

I was excited as hell to learn that Ray Park would play Snake Eyes, but Marlon Wayans in GI Joe? Please. If the movie's going to die, at least don't start digging its grave before it's released.

Jan 7 - 11:47 AM

DON OF THE D.E.D

Don Delahunt

Why? Do they owe him something?

Jan 7 - 12:26 PM

DrPayne

everette payne

"(The article describes the character as the "leader of the military unit.")"

-Ummmmm, wouldn't that be Duke?

Jan 7 - 12:51 PM

KISSman

Tommy D

This is good news?? Oh man... this cast doesn't excite me at all.

Jan 7 - 01:23 PM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

And here I was all worried that they wouldn't add that necessary spark of tired, self-referential blaxploitation sh#t gags, featuring one of the most godlessly lucky talent-free actors of the past ten years*.

Whew.

Now if only they could get Kal Pen (the completely ubiquitous go-to Indian in every movie, last year) to play Zartan..

*YES, my girlfriend at the time made me watch 'Requiem for a Dream' so I know all about his turn at dramatic acting. Next argument.

Jan 7 - 01:34 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Next argument my a$$. His performance in that film proves he's got skills as a dramatic actor. He's made a career of playing $hit roles, I'll give you that. But so has Cuba Gooding Jr., another actor with either a really bad agent or a tragic proclivity for self-deprecation.

For G.I. Joe, it seems they are trying to diversify the cast in order to draw a mixed demographic. Fine by me. As long as Marlon's not being hired to revisit his D&D roots, that is.

Jan 8 - 06:00 AM

walkingdead09

Justin Dean

The thing about the wayans brothers is...well they had that one movie...I mean I really liked when they did that thing...What about that award they won...

At what point do these hollywood executives say, "I really want this movie to be a good movie that makes a lot of money, get Marlan Wayans on the phone."

Jan 7 - 02:13 PM

VibTDog

T H

UGH! Another crappy announcement!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I'm gonna go drink some laxative.

Jan 7 - 02:18 PM

Box Office
Box Office

Planet Of The Apes Is No. 1

<em>Unbroken</em>
Unbroken

Trailer for Angelina Jolie's latest

<em>The Hunger Games</em>
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

<em>Jimi</em> Trailer
Jimi Trailer

Clips: Andre 3000 plays Hendrix!