Stephen Sommers' G.I. Joe Finds Its Duke?

Summary

Remember all those rumors about Sam Worthington being in line to star as Duke in Stephen Sommers' live-action G.I. Joe? Well, they were true. Emphasis on the "were." Back to Article

Comments

bethehero7404

Paul Wulff

Eh? We'll see. Funny thing is that John Cena would have worked too, so would have Mark Wahlberg if we were going for a "non-Oscar calabur performance." A "Name" would have been good in a title role. I can't wait to see Ray Park in this though.

Jan 29 - 05:29 AM

Astr0creep

Mega Mann

Although I really like Quaid as Hawk(perfect casting in my opinion), I really can't see a lot of "military experience" in Tatum's traits...

They must be gunning(forgive the pun, it's intended) for a GIJoe origin story, with the Joes still in training as the cast is way to young to portray a team of great, experienced military warriors, no?

Personnally I would prefer an origin story like this rather then Sommers trying to convince us that mere kids can be part of the best team of military special forces ever.

From the cartoon it was always apparent to me that the youngest Joes, such as Scarlet for example, are at least in their early thirties, not late teens.

Wasn't Duke a war veteran?

Here's hoping this won't be showing on a saturday afternoon on the CW in the next two years...

Jan 29 - 05:34 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

I hate to admit it, but adding Quaid actually DOES increase-- however marginally-- my interest in this movie. I've always liked his work.

And then I remember a) That Marlon Wayans is in this and B) that in this version, 'GIJoe' stands for 'Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity' ?!?!?! and I want to stab myself in the nuts just to distract from the pain of that title.

Jan 29 - 07:22 AM

Astr0creep

Mega Mann

Actually, aside from Wayans and Tatum, the casting so far is pretty good.

IF they go for an origin story.

Jan 29 - 07:26 AM

Astr0creep

Mega Mann

Actually, aside from Wayans and Tatum, the casting so far is pretty good.

IF they go for an origin story(in which case Tatum is Ok).

Jan 29 - 07:27 AM

John Z. Delorean

John Street

I would've gone Paul Walker as a young Duke. Tatum is way too young for the role and he's an acting stiff.

Jan 29 - 08:23 AM

a blind goat

Jonathan Taylor

And Walker isn't a acting stiff. Chris Evans would have been the best choice.

Jan 29 - 08:52 AM

dudemanyo

Ben Tracy

I second the Walker. I loved Chris Evans as Human Torch. He might have hammed this up a bit. Or totally proved me wrong. Now we'll never know. I do like the Quaid addition, and Vosloo as Zartan makes my day. Especially since he's out of the Destro running. Close call.

Jan 29 - 09:02 AM

renodc

Ryan Meals

I don't know much about Tatum to make comment on whether he fits the role of a young Duke, but I am disappointed that Worthington won't be able to take the role. I think he would have been perfect.

Outside of the uncertainty in the role of Duke, this cast looks excellent, which makes one wonder if possibly the casting director and Stephen Sommers had simultaneous mini-strokes when casting Marlon Wayans.

Jan 29 - 09:26 AM

Astr0creep

Mega Mann

Vosloo as Zartan?

Wohooo!

Jan 29 - 09:47 AM

Eldorado

Eldorado shwankers

No more work for that tool Paul Walker!! Make him finally go away!!

Jan 29 - 10:18 AM

Astr0creep

Mega Mann

Yeah he should've died instead of Heath Ledger!

(somehow they are alike to me. Not in terms of talent but... something else)

Jan 29 - 10:34 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Wtf?!... Look man, no matter what you think of the guy's work (and he wasn't bad in Running Scared), that's nothing less than an incredibly stupid thing to say.

Jan 29 - 11:45 AM

Astr0creep

Mega Mann

Yeah he should've died instead of Heath Ledger!

(somehow they are alike to me. Not in terms of talent but... something else)

Jan 29 - 10:34 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Jan 29 - 11:45 AM

punktuate

Justin Montello

i never saw those jump around lame dance movies he did but the rest of the cast is pretty sic so i'm totally looking forward to it, everyone pissed themselves when they heard tobey maguire was playing spiderman and look how badass he was so give the kid a chance plus darth maul as snake eyes just look at that and know the movie will be badass

Jan 29 - 11:29 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Jan 29 - 11:45 AM

taran72

Dan Mills

Turning down Summers for Cameron? What the hell was he thinking?

Why all the hate for P. Walker - he was decent in Running Scared, so give him a chance.

Jan 29 - 11:47 AM

Astr0creep

Mega Mann

I haven't seen Running Scared.

Yes, it was harsh and too soon.
I humbly apologize.

Jan 29 - 12:29 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Hey, it's cool. We don't hold grudges here. Saying something stupid every now and then is something we all do. Being stupid, well, is like being one of those unfortunate souls on the Meet The Spartans boards defending that mess of a movie.

Definitely check out Running Scared though. I've come to think of Walker as one of those kind of actors whose abilities are elevated by good material.

Jan 29 - 05:25 PM

MixxdUp28

David Yang

Fox and Evans must have declined. Which sucks.

Jan 29 - 02:23 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Jan 29 - 05:25 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

hey as long as Chris Evans is not allowed on the premises of

the G.I. Joe set, i will stay interested. Yo, Joe!!

Jan 29 - 08:56 PM

aka_nympho

Jakob C.

Awesome, maybe Tatum can two-step all over the bad guys... that is, if he decides to "step up" to the plate...

Jan 30 - 04:59 AM