• Gigante

—— New Girl: Season 4
83% Sons of Anarchy: Season 7

Gigante Reviews

March 2, 2011
In his spare time, Jara(Horacio Camandule) babysits his nephew Matias(Federico Garcia). Actually, it's more like they just hang out and play video games together.(Just don't tell anyone.) For work, he is a night watchman at a supermarket where he keeps a dispassionate eye on the shenanigans of his co-workers. Nor does he ogle any of the women. At first, he laughs when Julia(Leonor Svarcas), a new cleaning lady, knocks over a display of toilet paper but feels empathy for her after she is severely scolded by Rojas(Augusto Peloso), a manager, going so far as to run interference for her.

With fluid camerawork that is in no hurry(especially the lovely final shot), "Gigante" takes what could have been a creepy or condescending premise and turns it around into something heartwarming. A lot of that has to do with the sweet demeanor of its lead character who acts as more of a guardian angel than anything else to Julia. While he moonlights as a bouncer, violence does not come easily to him.(Even as a pacifist, I have no problem with how he reacts to the driver.) So while Jara thinks the best of people, he also ignores the growing labor conflict at work, as sometimes he is enmeshed in fantasy, the movie also oddly enough having its share of cold war references like the bar being called Molotov and the occasional familiar guitar chords, the soundtrack to a world he would like to live in.
Mark A

March 19, 2010
A quiet, slow-paced tale of a gentle giant who becomes obsessed with a girl at work. Jara (Horacio Camadule) is a night shift security guard for a giant supermarket who begins stalking one of the cleaning ladies, Julia (Leonor Svarcas). She may not be ‚??hot‚?? but she is pleasant to look at and obviously the best thing he‚??s seen in a while, and she does have a wonderful smile. There is little dialog, and Jara‚??s inability to take the initiative can grate on one‚??s nerves. As someone said, the viewer almost wants to reach through the screen and slap the guy. ‚??So TALK to her already!‚?? But really, the film doesn‚??t pull any punches. It is what it is and you will either find yourself invested and waiting (and waiting) to see how it plays out, or you will tire and move on to other things. This viewer is happy he made the investment and was rewarded with a sweet, plausible outcome. Not recommended for Bruce Willis/Arnold Schwarzenegger/Sylvester Stallone fans. If you like it low-key, however, this is your film.
kinadeon
July 6, 2012
At the beginning, you think the dude's a creep, but as the movie goes a long, you really start to root for that mofo.
March 31, 2012
Interesting kind of love story. Creepy in a certain way by American standards. Not so many dialogues. Almost none to be honest.
teremuso
November 21, 2010
Absolutely brilliant!! The only thing I knew about this film when I picked it out, was that it had won awards at the Berlin International Film Festival, so I had no expectations, just hopes. "Gigante" did not let me down.I loved the dark/dry humor that you catch glimpses of through its minimal dialogue, which keeps you guessing about how this quirky love story will unfold. Don't let the film's slow-pace fool you though... this story was like a puzzle I was dying to solve, so I payed close attention to the clues that get sprinkled throughout; I was never bored and the comical bombs that are dropped every now and again definitely keep you alert and entertained. I loved this film!
GabrielKnight
November 21, 2010
A solid movie, the plot is rather simple but works perfectly well, great directing and acting. I was really moved by the story.
June 25, 2013
Slow, predictable, boring, a little romantic. Looks more like a project by a film school student than serious movie.

March 2, 2011

Michael H.
March 24, 2010
A beautiful stalker romance.
Greg Fisher
January 31, 2010
Coming from Uruguay Gigante is a masterpiece of low-scale artistic cinema. How this slight story about a metal-loving night security guard stalking the girl of his dreams turned out to be my favorite romantic movie of 2009 lies within its refreshing approach artfully implemented with a dead-pan precision and confidence. Gigante's director Adrien Binez uses the voyeuristic tone of the movie not to opress viewers, but to enchant them. The movie happens to be sweet when we watch Jara, a large, quiet soul following Julia, an accident-prone cleaner wherever she goes and whatever she does. It abounds with numerous wonderfully observed scenes that abandon the dialogue almost entirely. My favorite scene involves visiting the cinema where Jara has difficulty deciding which movie has been chosen by his love-interest, a love story or a horror movie about a mutant. Guess which one it was. As regards acting, Horacio Camandule provides a sharp and totally likeable performance, while Leonor Svarcas is convincing even though her part is limited. Overall, Gigante may be too slow-paced for some, but for me it happens to be an endlessly engrossing miracle of a movie. 9/10 (A-)
Ali Akbar
January 23, 2010
If i allow myself i would call this movie and
''Little Feel Good Movie'' great plot and wonderful directing by AdriŠn Biniez whom i really respect in the past year's with big hits like... 8 horas & Whisky! Actor or director he manage's to fit in every shoe