• R, 1 hr. 33 min.

Ginger Snaps 2 - Unleashed Reviews

EightThirty .

July 14, 2010
16\07\2010 (ONLINE)

An incredible sequel and definitely a much better film, story and performance.

These characters are stunning and this is what sequels should be like, better than the last!

This one is going in my favorites.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 11, 2009
Ginger Snaps 2 was weird but enjoyable.
Anthony L

October 1, 2009
A really cool follow up that is better than the first! It?s like Girl Interrupted but good! The twist at the end is brilliant!
Cassandra M

September 21, 2008
This is the only sequel I have seen that could be considered an improvement on its original.

I'm a great Fan of Ginger Snaps and was really excited about this film when i first heard about it, unfortunately when it arrived at the cinema I was to young to see it. I'm sure its always a gamble for people and film fans alike to buy movies on Tapoe/DVD with out viewing them first and for me this was a first. It was well worth the risk of my cash as I loved the film, the casting was especially good this time around ( the DVD showing the auditions in all their glory ) As far as the films go Emily Perkins takes her original part and runs with it, totally convincing the audience that she is trying to break away from her sister and the ghosts of the past.

The special effects and make up are of course grander this time around which enhances the horror side of things, but I my self view this more as a Drama that a Horror film. The suspense is really edgy and makes you want to fast forward to the next scene to see what happens next. As well as the stand allow story of Briditte's new company 'Ghost' making you want more as the plot continues. Even as a sequel this is a hard one to beat. I whole heartedly will you to see it, even if you have not yet view the first one.
arashxak
arashxak

August 20, 2008
I haven't seen the first one yet but this one was somehow creepy with a grim atmosphere
SilentWarProductions2009
May 29, 2007
Directed by: Brett Sullivan.
Starring: Katharine Isabelle, Emily Perkins, Eric Johnson.

How do you follow up Ginger Snaps? Although the ending gave an opening for more, it would be a tough task to create something different and just as refreshing as the original....and although the original will always stay the best, Ginger Snaps 2 takes a new route and proves to be strong.

The story follows Bridget from the first film, who is now a werewolf herself, while trying to deal with her loss, she has clearly run away from home and is trying everything to keep herself from changing, but when she collapses and the cops find her and think she has overdosed, she awakens to find herself in a rehab clinic and with no 'Wolfsbane' and a werewolf on the loose looking to mate with her, she must find a way before the next full moon to stop it all. There are certainly things I miss from the first film, such as the amazing blend of genres and the metaphors, but this film delivers something different. While being a slight black comedy in parts, it focuses a lot more on our new main character and her struggles with her inner demons....and other elements draw their power from that. Brett Sullivan takes the helm this time and with his editing experience (being editor on Ginger Snaps), he has a more unique and slick vision and works extremely well with the low budget....and he also delivers a lot of intense and exciting gory sequences with acceptable tension. Emily Perkins has finally formed into something good compared to the first film, she has a lot to work with here and delivers a much more solid and convincing performance and newbie Tatiana Maslany has this strange presence about her, she shows insane potential and has this essence of a possible horror icon in the future.

I certainly miss the wit and satire of the first film, but with Ginger Snaps 2, it takes a different path that is refreshing. A very strong and compelling horror film with great vision, tension and a strong female cast....and a twist that is surprising and could work for the characters image in future roles.
Jason S

February 16, 2007
The story was different but it was a good take on the werewolf story. The cast is back and does their job well.
Emily A

April 9, 2007
Snarky and almost as good as the first, this movie drags a bit but is still really good. Brigitte is a great character, as is Ghost.
Steven V

April 22, 2008
The film is definitely scary and it has some witty moments, and a good, tight plot. But, this sequel is just so conventional, it's so much more serious and gory than the first one. Overall the film is successfully smart and scary.
Daniel P

April 20, 2007
A surprisingly very good sequel to the fantastic Ginger Snaps that doesn't simply re-hash the original, but instead takes a different approach, not only in terms of story but in direction, design and style. Darker, with less black humour and a few more scares, it isn't quite as successful as the original but then since its something of a departure to it, it's not necessarily fair to compare them anyway. Emily Perkins, once again, gives a fantastic performance that really helps sell the film. The way she uses her physicality is quite brilliant - who needs special effects when you can tell the story in body language and head movements? The film is effectively split into two parts with the first 45 minutes mostly set in a rehab clinic (with a clichéd 'abandoned wing, strictly off-limits' thrown in for good measure), whilst the second 45 minutes... nah don't want to ruin it. Director Brett Sullivan stages the film impressively and the music score is very unusual and inventive (although I could have done without a couple of the sudden loud screeches that give the requisite 'false shocks'). The story is very good with some nice twists and a slightly 'out there' ending that works very well. Some reviews I've read have said you don't need to have seen the first film to enjoy this but I would strongly disagree, as it helps flesh out the character of Brigitte and her motivations. A definite must see for horror fans.
Max G

February 5, 2013
Following the tragic ending of the predecessor, this sequel is another scary (and at times perverted) adventure on Brigitte's part in the struggle for an antidote for her infection by the same mysterious beast who infected and destroyed her sister. Just like the first one, cliches are left way behind in this flick.
weelee18
weelee18

October 21, 2007
Brigitte's on the run from Bailey Downs, and she tries to prevent what happened to her sister, Ginger, from happening to her by shooting up with monkshood. Eventually she collapses and the police that find assume the monkshood is an illegal drug, and she is sent to rehab. She is deprived of the only thing that will stop her from turning into a beast and killing everyone and everything in her way. She meets a girl who is quiet and not well-liked, and much like herself, by the name of Ghost that helps her deal with her new problem and to escape the werewolf curse.
..........
Really enjoyed this too. I was amazed with Emily Perkin performance in this. She was mostly in the shadow of Kathrine perfromance in the first one but she carrys herself amazingly on her own. She's the hero who is being taken over by this horrible werewolf virus and the special effects are outstanding in that effect. She looks absolutely deathly in each stage of her transformation. Tatiana Maslany did an incredible performance. The setting of the film from the city, to the asylum to the small empty cottage is brilliant. It's dark, gritty, horrifying and takes a transformation not unlike Brigitte's changes. Recommend - If you have seen the first one an would like to know what happens the Brigitte.
..........
Ginger: You know, the faster you heal the closer he gets B. Or is it that the closer he is the faster you heal?
Patrick D

November 1, 2007
the filmmakers here decided that, much like the first, they were gonna make whatever kind of werewolf film they wanted. In this sense it's quite alot like the first, being that it is quite different from any other werewolf film, but as a result strays alot from the first. Not a bad thing. The first was good, but making the same film again would end up it a rather crappy film. GS 2, though, takes Bridgette to a whole different level of lycanthropy and with a bunch of other great elements raises this film up to almost the original level. I'm sure my wording was on the pretentious side, but this film should be appreciated and not bashed, by any stretch of the imagination.
I really like it.
Adam M

May 23, 2007
Not bad,some good moments.
FanadFilmsProduction
FanadFilmsProduction

April 21, 2007
I'm a fool for GS. I love vampire/werewolf movies.

Not as good as the first.
Chris M

April 10, 2007
A sequel unlike other sequels. Normally sequels will spoil the story of the first movie. But in this case the sequel turned out to be just as good as the first in the series.

A surprisingly good sequel to 'Ginger Snaps'
Hellshocked
Hellshocked

January 14, 2007
Not as good as the brave, fantastic original (how many times have those words been said in the history of film, I wonder) but still surprisingly strong in its own right. The tone is darker, less self aware, and meaner, with a decidedly wicked ending. Worth seeing for fans of the original and nonfans alike, as it is quite likely those who have not seen Ginger Snaps will enjoy its sequel more.
April 15, 2012
It was one of the best werewolf movies I've seen sense Cursed. I loved the blood and all and there werewolves looked a little cooler in this one then the first one.
juliantoepfer
October 5, 2011
A rare sequel that changes up almost completely from the original, but continues the story perfectly. Totally removed from the quaint suburban locale of the first, it is set in a much more threatening and removed environment. Another example that horror films are often at their best in low budget with minimal fan fare.

A very good script is the films backbone, and it is (mostly) enhanced by its actors. I found Perkins a little tedious at times, but pretty solid for the most part. I can't say I was expecting too much from this, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

Definitely not perfect, as there are a few plot holes, some sub-par acting from minor characters, and I figured out the 'twist' ending about 45 minutes before the end. But these nitpicks are few and far between, leaving a pretty darn good horror movie with a unique feel.