• PG-13, 1 hr. 33 min.

—— Unforgettable: Season 3

Girl In Progress Reviews

Cynthia S

September 18, 2012
All in all I liked it. Cute, yet sometimes serious. Very chick flickish, though. I have a teenage daughter, so I am sure that helped my attraction to this movie. Still, I thought that it was well done...
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

January 13, 2012
Girl In Progress is a film based on a strained mother and daughter relationship. Grace is quite a mess at motherhood. She got pregnant young and was kicked out of her mothers house to do it all on her own. It isn't easy and she doesn't make it any easier on herself. She's not a present mother and leaves Ansiedad on her own a lot. She's involved with a married man who she works as a maid for. She hasn't made the best choices and I really don't think she knows how to be a mother since she really didn't have much of one either.
Ansiedad has decided she wants to speed her teenage years up and go straight into adulthood so she can leave her mother behind. But when her choices start back firing on her she finds herself to be even more alone then she started out being.
The acting was OK and the story was interesting enough, but still it wasn't great. I probably wouldn't see this again.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

September 13, 2012
A Tale of Acting Up, Acting Out, and Acting Your Age.

Good movie! The movie starts off slow and a bit quirky. At times it even feels like it is trying to hard to be something its not. Then somewhere in the middle, it drops the quirky and the story develops. I became invested and began to care for the characters.The acting was good. Both main actresses do a great job in their roles as mother and daughter. As an educator myself, I see these types of mothers and daughters almost every school year. It was nice seeing their story be told and also one from Latin roots.I would recommend this movie because at the end of it all, you leave the movie with some thoughts and emotions tied to the characters.

As single mom Grace juggles work, bills, and her affair with a married doctor, her daughter, Ansiedad, plots a shortcut to adulthood after finding inspiration in the coming-of-age stories she's reading for school.
Dannielle A

October 18, 2012
The idea of a self-aware young woman consciously staging her own coming-of-age story is a clever and novel concept and I enjoyed watching it play out. Ansiedad is the intelligent young woman who attempts to manufacture herself into adulthood by forcing herself through various "rites of passage" and rebelling against authority. The problem with all her screaming for attention is that we don't see the relationship between mother and daughter as volatile as it needs to be in order to set off the expedition. What I do like about the movie is the sweet, adorble, and talented Cierra Ramirez (who reminds me of a Latino Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen) and her portrayal of Ansiedad. She's a likeable character and your routing for her even though she's pretty clueless about what it takes to grow up. You can't help cheering for her and cringing when she gets into scrapes. Meanwhile, Eva Mendes' character is the one who really needs to grow up. She sleeps with a married man and doesn't apologize to her daughter for her childlike behavior. It's a feel-good, moral-at-the-end movie.
Jason C

May 20, 2012
Girl In Progress takes a good cast and places them in an unoriginal story with an unoriginal script. It makes sure to cover all the standard cliches for a movie like this. The cast is so strong that they almost make it work in spite of the bad story.

Eva Mendes and Cierra Ramirez have good chemistry as the mother and daughter struggling to make sense of their lives. Each gave very good individual performances. Cierra Ramirez did a very good job for someone having so little screen time. Matthew Modine and Patricia Arquette come out of big screen obscurity to give two good supporting performances.

There's no need to spend money on Girl In Progress, but that doesn't mean fans of coming of age stories shouldn't watch it on a movie channel or regular TV when it's aired.
August 9, 2013
I typically hate "coming of age" films as they usually all amount to the same thing however Girl In Progress was surprisingly original and enjoyable. Eva Mendes and Cierra Ramirez were perfect in their roles of disoriented mother and confused daughter. Girl in Progress is one of the few films of this genre that I wouldn't have a problem watching again if the wife wanted to watch a chick flick.
October 8, 2012
I've seen a lot of negative reviews for this movie, but I absolutely loved it. It's hokey, formulaic and predictable, but it's also quirky in a really fun and refreshing way. And why does everything have to be deep and complicated to be good? Definitely a chick flick, but one that I thoroughly enjoyed. Cierra Ramirez is adorable.
Hamee
September 12, 2012
This movie had some moments that were definitely worth watching, but it never reached its full potential. The story ended up too sweet and perfect after all the awful things that the characters went through.
April 22, 2012
Saw Girl in Progress on opening night. This is a pretty good movie, BUT there are several forced scenes. Eva Mendes does a great job playing a single mom struggling to get by. They didn't make her the stereotypical stupid mom, but I didn't buy that she could do web design either. The little girl, played by Cierra Ramierz was an excellent actress. She did a great job even with the unbelievable. She is the daughter coming of age and inspired to created her own coming of age story in order to become a woman. Some of her tasks came across natural but several were forced especially given how smart her character was. I think the creators could have had the forced scenes happen with her plotting to have them happen. It would have been more natural and been a better mix of drama and comedy.
August 11, 2013
Although there were many negative remarks about this film I have to say I did enjoy it. I'm in my mid twenties so I can still feel the stagnant pressures of high school and the turmoil of adulthood. Before watching the movie I thought it was mostly going to be about Eva Mendes...which I was surprisingly pleased it wasn't. It was about her and Cierra Ramirez; and how they were both really girls' in progress. Eva was a young single mother trying to provide for herself and her daughter, while still living a "fun filled" life; while her daughter, who seemed to be in her early teens, was trying to grow up way too fast. Coming from a partially single parent family, and seeing many friends raised in single parent family homes, I can say this CAN be a semi accurate description of what can happen to kids. It may be worse or could be the complete opposite of the film. It depends on the parent child dynamic.
I think that people need to give this movie more of a chance if nothing else! I was going to switch it because of the rating, but am really glad that I didn't!
June 29, 2013
Never showed what happened to the boy when Ansiedad left. I was expecting from his sad and regretful look that he would have another scene where he talked to Ansiedad.
June 14, 2013
I don't understand what there was not to like, a beautiful movie, Cierra was an amazing actress, and the cinematography was amazing
June 11, 2013
I show how had it is to be a single mother, and how a complicated it is for a teen to inure adolescences
April 20, 2012
A mother being that neglectful is almost unbelievable. In fact, it was unbelievable.
May 27, 2013
How can this movie be rated so low? Eva Mendes, and especially young Ms. Ramirez gave superior performances. It is a terrific play on the coming of age story, particularly the story of a Hispanic girl's coming of age story. I would rank this up there with Spanglish as such. This is a must watch.
May 11, 2012
It wants audiences to know it's in on the joke though it's not always apparent that there even is a joke in the first place.
April 11, 2013
A coming of age story in a literal sense, that shows that sometimes childhood isn't that different from adulthood.
November 22, 2012
People who love to text during movies are going to love this one.
November 10, 2012
Although entertaining I spent most of the movie wishing "Anciedad" was slapped across the face.