Gladiator - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gladiator Reviews

½ May 29, 2016
A bit overlong, but a very entertaing film regardless.
May 28, 2016
Ridley Scott's masterpiece!
January 2, 2008
My favorite film of all time. Spectacular from start to finish. SEE IT!
June 4, 2007
The cast is excellent, I need to put this in my Netflix.
May 24, 2016
Favorite movie. Watch it at least once a month. 6 stars
May 23, 2016
An absolute epic of a story.
March 31, 2016
Did you hear about the happy Roman? He was glad he ate her.
January 17, 2008
I've heard some great reviews about this one.
December 19, 2015
Inert, lacks soul and character development.
½ May 2, 2016
While Gladiator handles itself brilliantly at times and features a great final hour, the film is very tedious and doesn't entertain for the majority of the duration.
April 24, 2016
Maximus's character goes through many challenges throughout the movie, but he never lets that stop him from reaching his goal. he starts off as a general and the next thing you know he's a slave. Throughout the film Maximus overcomes all of the challenges put in his path and ends up being the most liked gladiator to step foot in the arena. Where as Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix) kills Marcus Aurelius (Richard Harris) his father to gain power because he was angry that his father picked Maximus to rule over him.Even after Commodus gains power, he still continues to show jealousy and greed. He stacks the odds in his favor once he realizes Maximus has come back from the dead. This shows the greediness and jealousy that can overcome someone and can cause them to commit crazy and outrageous acts to get what they want.
These characters show two drastically different forms of growth and development throughout the film which causes you to take sides and become invested in the fates of the characters.
October 15, 2009
This is a masterpiece. Watch it. That is all
April 21, 2008
"Are you not entertained" Not really no...
June 30, 2011
One of those all time classics that reshaped the genre when it was all but dead. Crowe is splendid in the lead role and commands the screen in a role he was born to play. Ridley Scott returns to form after a few films fail to find critical or financial success. The film swept the box office and awards, righlt so, the film plays out like an artistic big budget passion of love. This is one film I haven't tired from after all these years and have just recently experienced the extended cut, I think studios should allow 3 hour films as a standard practice. I cannot fault what I might even call my favourite film of all time.
April 16, 2016
Surprised at that the amount of "rotten" votes for a really fantastic movie...? Entertaining, factual (to a degree in the scenario) but COMPLETELY and historically INACCURATE.....Commodus was made JOINT Emperor with Marcus Aurelius for at least 3 years BEFORE the latter's death. However, great performances from Crowe and Phoenix and it is a great historical romp and Ridley Scott at his best. Magnificent and grandiose, entertaining, thrilling, gripping, a really wonderful piece of entertainment that excites and moves. One of the best... and sod all the rotten toms!!! No soul or imagination!!
April 15, 2016
War, enslavement, and revenge. After Maximus' family was butchered by a coward emperor, Jaquin Phoenix, he seeks his revenge from the lowly position of a slave. Ridley Scott and company bring to life a compelling adventure. Russell Crow brings the performance of a lifetime while playing Maximus. Both the direction and cinematography are just breath-taking on this tale of a husband's revenge
July 19, 2012
This Is My Favorite Ridley Scott And Russell Crowe Film.
August 7, 2008
Looking back on Gladiator, it's clear that the achievement here isn't in special effects or world building, as the film certainly shows its age, nearly 16 years from when it was first released. The real achievement here is a worthy call back to the epics of Ben-Hur and others combined with a modern analysis of Roman politics that probes at some of the uncomfortable oddities of our own society. Gladiator feels almost too big to be real, successfully capturing the majesty of the games while also featuring some truly fantastic one-on-one scenes between Crowe, Phoenix, Neilsen and Harris, where their characters manage some of the most passionate and moving dialogue is recent film history. One of the other aspects of the film that often gets overlooked is its exceptional fight sequences, with the fight in Germania standing out particularly as one of the most realistic fight sequences since Spielberg changed the game with Saving Private Ryan. In retrospect, it seems a bit odd that Scott didn't receive Best Director for this film, considering just how well everything comes together here. Absolutely a must watch and clearly a classic for the genre as well as a mile marker for one of the greatest living directors.
March 27, 2016
A classic of modern cinema. With excellent directing, acting, and storytelling, Gladiator is not to be missed.
March 26, 2016
One of my favorite historically driven action/drama movies of all time.