The Glass Slipper Reviews

½ October 26, 2013
(First and only viewing - 10/26/2013)
½ June 3, 2014
Tuesday, June 3, 2014

(1955) The Glass Slipper
ROMANTIC MUSICAL FANTASY DRAMA

Aside from the ballet dancing, this is probably the most realistic version of "Cinderella" anyone is ever going to see, since there's hardly any special effects, rather use actual human qualities and complicated situations instead. In other words, even the step sisters consist to have some relatable characteristics. And that the step mother is not all evil, pointing out that I am one of few who preferred not to be tied to just one version to the popular fairy tale written by Charles Perrault since the Disney version was also wasn't faithful to what was initially written just because the cartoon was especially made for children. The small plot that's more of a backdrop to the musical/ ballet sequences has the prince passing through the village with the announcement of finding the girl he want to marry with "Cinderella" played by Leslie Caron not knowing what the prince actually looked like. And by chance, consistently bump into each other while Cinderella was day dreaming by the river. In this movie, the prince, played by Michael Wilding pretends to be somebody else, like in this case the royal cook for the prince. And the fairy godmother isn't like what viewers are going to be accustomed to as well.

3 out of 4 stars
½ March 27, 2014
Leslie Caron is a charming Cinderella and there is some very magical production design, but there are some pretty dull stretches of dialogue and the dance numbers are pretty stagy (actually taking place on a stage even). I love Caron, but she can only carry this duo film so far.
½ November 3, 2013
Narrator (Walter Pidgeon): "The little spirit is still defiant and defensive, still unbroken. But give them time they'll break it. A few more years and she will stop fighting back and will no longer feel any pain, the others will then have the convenience of an un-pained spinster slavey in the house-- willing, docile, grateful for crumbs. A few more years then all will be peaceful."

This film was actually cute and an interesting take on the old Cinderella fairytale; but in this film, they made Ella (Cinderella) so simple, she seemed more retarded rather than give the impression of Ella having a child-like naiveté and innocence. But I guess, they wanted to express how child-like she was, which was kind of creepy when someone who was mentally underdeveloped and who was basically the equivalent of a country-bumpkin was (for all intent and purpose) seduced by someone more worldly, like Prince Charles who by the film's descriptions has been well educated in all of the elite schools all over Europe. Or maybe it's just me and my cynical mind reading too much between the lines and imagined an eerie unspoken subplot. But I do like how Ella and the Prince fell for each other through their dancing, I thought that was very charming and truly unique. Also, I was hoping Cinderella had a more amazing transformation; I mean seriously, how can her stepmother and stepsister not recognize her? She hardly wore a disguise, at the very least a powdered wig of some sort. ****SPOILER ALERT*** But I guess the film got around it by not having the characters interact in close proximity once Ella was transformed. I also liked that her odd appearance, specifically her uncharacteristically short coif (and preoccupation with finding Charles the cook's son), led to the speculation that she was a foreigner because she wouldn't utter a word, which in turn propagated the rumor that the Prince was to marry an Egyptian Princess... a convenient twist and made the film's customarily straight-forward plot, a bit more interesting. Plus the dance sequence for Ella's day-dream of the Prince marrying the Egyptian Princess was truly heart-breaking even without a single spoken dialogue because the choreography and Caron's dancing spoke volumes and relayed her emotion so perfectly that it transcended the need for words. I have never appreciated dancing in this context before. I also liked that Ella fell in love with the "cook's son from the palace of the Duke".... isn't that how it should be? Women have always been taught to dream about marrying a Prince when in truth, as long as he loves you, it doesn't matter what his station is in life, he'll always be your knight in shinning armor and that was a good lesson. Overall, I really liked this movie and would even say that it's as good, if not better than the Disney animated version.
July 2, 2012
Stopped after twenty minutes. Slightly like a Cinderella documentary.
½ June 5, 2012
A beautiful retelling of the Cinderella story ...
½ November 5, 2009
i used to watch this over and over again as a kid.
September 24, 2009
Otra imperdible de Leslie Caron.
½ April 28, 2009
Great ballet and story twist
April 12, 2009
Lovely story, gorgeous costumes, set in a great time.
December 9, 2008
O Golly, golly...this looks really good....
October 7, 2008
Before ever after, there was this. A nice realistic adaptation of Cinderella.
July 30, 2008
This is how I fall in love with Leslie Caron. Those eyes!I hope to be able to watch this again soon.
April 6, 2008
A wonderful version of Cinderella, beautifully shot and designed, and some wonderful acting. I love Leslie Caron.
April 6, 2008
This version of Cindrella is by far one of my favorites, although I'm not a huge fan of the singing all the time. The costuming and sets are exquisitely beautiful. I particularly love the performance by Estelle Winwood as the fairy godmother.