• Unrated, 10 hr. 10 min.
  • Comedy

87% The Strain: Season 1
79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Glee: Season 1, Vol. 1 - The Road to Sectionals Reviews

February 17, 2010
Every once and a while, there is a television show that raises the stakes for all the shows that will follow in it's wake, from the classic Serials of he early 20th century, to the morning cartoons of the 60's, to the live action drama's and comedies of the now. And now to fall in place to be one of the television series of all time, is Glee. Glee is the story of a group of the bottom of the food chain high schoolers that join the school's show choir. This is really special to me because as you may have allready read in my earlier reviews, I'm a sucker for music. I always wanted to join a Glee club, but they're not exactly the most popular thing of the 21st century. Glee mixes a fantastic plot involving the comedy and drama of being in high school with a fantastic set list of songs sang by teenagers more talented then anyone I've ever seen on American Idol. I am antisapating the return of the show next month along with my birthday on April 6th. If you haven't watched this show, then you are wasting your cable bill.
Sydney B.
December 19, 2009
The first half of season fun is truly hilarious, with memorable characters and beautiful music. Glee is inspirational and has a great message, yet never loses sight of its target.
Pedro Santos
June 20, 2010
Glee is my favorite show ever, but the first episode is a bit bad. But the other episodes are very, very good, it will just surprise somebody who haven't seen it yet. A very good show. Wait 'til Vol. 2 - Road to Regionals, and will have a lot of 100%.
finesthour
June 14, 2010
i haven't been this much in love with a television show in ages. hilarious , smart , feel good and it has good messages
enfuego142000
May 10, 2010
I usually wouldn't watch this type of musical show, as I can't stand musicals! I absolutely hate them! Like those hairspray movies or footloose or any of those old John Travolta movies. You know what I'm taling about. They had this on demand for the red-eye flight to Singapore so I had about 24 hrs to kill between the flight there and back so I decided to take a look as I knew I liked that one lady from 40-yr old virgin (the cheerleader coach). Well, I have to admit I did like the show. It was funny and the story was interesting and some parts were really touching. I like all the different characters as well. And...I must admit, the music was good as well. It's a little anoying that you know the actual singing could not possibly come from some of the actor's mouth, but if you can ignore that then it's fine.

I did look over my shoulder a couple of times to make sure no one was looking at me watching a musical.
meghan o.
May 9, 2010
Hilarious, witty, addictive!
Cormac plunkett W.
April 12, 2010
What an outstaning show. Funny and clever with some great tunes.
Joseph R.
April 7, 2010
I love this show! I can't wait for them to continue the season 1. If this became a film, i'd be the first 2 watch it!

February 17, 2010
Liam K.
January 27, 2010
AHHH! It's the smash hit Glee on DVD! This 4 disk collection includeds their preformances of Don't Stop Believin', Somebody to Love, and Take a Bow! This show is so original and fantastic! Every character, actor, song, and story is amazing. Jane Lynch is supereb, and so is the show. There is not much more that I can say about Glee except, if you have not seen this show, WATCH IT NOW!!! A+
kaavi p.
January 16, 2010
Original, buena selección de música, buenos cantantes, buen guión.
EXCELENTE (:
Bonnie B.
January 5, 2010
This show is soo AWESOME!!! its the best show on TV right now. The songs they do are AMAZING!!! they are all so talented
parker0630
December 31, 2009
Glee is the best show ever! Its so funny and the music is great. People say its a TV version of High School Musical and they are dead wrong! Glee is amazing and sets the bar for all of TV
Ericka J.
December 30, 2009
I am COMPLETELY obsessed with this show. It has PHENOMENAL music, plot, costumes, characters,singers, dancers, actors and keeps you wanting more. Finn, Puck, Mr. Shoo are sexy, funny, and are able to handle the emotional rollercoaster of their lives. Rachel and Mercedes have AMAZING voices. BUT I can happily say that EVERYONE on the show has extreme talent in every aspect. This show is fresh, new and i can't WAIT for the next season! I'm counting down the days.
Reginald476
December 30, 2009
This show is awesome and shows off Ryan Murphy's dark humor in a new setting, High School. Picking a time when we are all awkward and trying to find our own identity. Comes this series showing that being a "gleek" isn't so bad when you are surrounded by friends and people who have common interests, hopes and issues.All of that is set off by amazing on set performances of music from Kayne to Journey to Wicked, along with some great guest stars. If you liked Nip/Tucks snark and dark humor you will love this show. I think it will be a great fit following American Idol this summer, I can't wait to continue this journey with them!
Chuck
December 29, 2009
GLEE marks the first time that I've ever truly enjoyed anything that resembles a musical. Perhaps I had not been watching the right ones in the time leading up to this TV show hitting the airwaves, but the high quality that this show maintains over the first half of its first season is quite remarkable.

On the surface, one might make comparisons to the HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL franchise, and they wouldn't be entirely incorrect, as after all, both are technically musicals and both take place in high school settings. That is, however, where the similarities end. GLEE is a melting pot of various different genres, combining elements of comedy (and over-the-top, outrageous comedy at that), drama, romance, and, of course, musical theater. At first glance, such a combination might not really work, and it's true that there are times during the season where the attempt to juggle some very serious storylines with some ridiculously over-the-top antics doesn't feel completely meshed together, but on the whole it really does work.

The reason that it does work, however, is the extraordinary talent of the cast. Most TV shows, films, etc. feature a weak-link somewhere, be it someone in a very minor part or just somewhere in the grand scheme of things. GLEE has no weak-link. Every member of the cast plays their characters extraordinarily, even, at times, making us like what should otherwise be a rather despicable character.

The scene-stealer in GLEE is Jane Lynch as Sue Sylvester, the head coach of the school's cheerleading team. Most of the show's over-the-top antics come from her, often during her interactions with Matt Morrison's Will Schuester, the sponsor of the glee club. The "chemistry" (or lack thereof, as it could be considered as the two characters bicker non-stop during the show) between Lynch and Morrison is spectacular, better than most of what can be found in either other television shows or in the cinema. Jane Lynch proves herself as a comedic genius with her performance in the role, and Matt Morrison, who hails from Broadway, is always up to the challenge of standing toe-to-toe with Lynch in their scenes. The result is superb.

The rest of the cast is fantastic as well, and as an ensemble, they rival the casts of every other TV show currently on the air in terms of quality. Former Broadway star Lea Michele is pitch-perfect as Rachel Berry, walking the delicate balance between playing an extremely arrogant and sometimes self-centered character all while making the audience actually like her. Lea Michele also has some serious vocal ability, and could be a hugely successful solo artist should she so choose. She is one of the best female vocalists currently recording music (if we're considering the iTunes tracks from the cast to be recorded music).

Cory Monteith plays the object of Rachel's affection, and does so quite well. Monteith doesn't have the vocal chops that Michele does (nobody on the show does, really, but that's not a criticism of the rest of the casts' vocal ability, but rather just a sign of how good Michele is), but his voice blends very nicely with hers during the duo's many duets over the course of the first half of the season. Their work on "Don't Stop Believin'", "No Air", and "Somebody to Love" stand out as being particularly stellar.

Perhaps the best actress, or at least the best up-and-coming actress, on the show is Dianna Agron, who has the hardest job of anyone on the cast. While Jane Lynch gets to play a rather unlikeable character with the goal of the character being unlikeable, Agron has to play what should be, at least on paper, an unlikeable character, but one that can be identified with. Agron plays Quinn Fabray to absolute perfection, making the audience actually sympathize with a character who is constantly manipulating those around her and lying to one person after another after another. Agron's absence from the Golden Globe nominee list came as a disappointment, as she has done quite easily some of the best supporting work in a TV show this year.

What makes the cast truly great is that one gets the sense that they're just one big family. Off-set, it seems as though they all enjoy one another, and that spills onto the set and into the episodes themselves. It's also evident that these are some very hungry actors who are really trying to make names for themselves, and it's a pleasure to watch them on their journey towards that. Even the show's biggest star, Jane Lynch, hasn't really had that one role (until now, anyway) that she was instantly recognized as. Now all of these actors are on the map, and it's a joy to watch them take the entertainment world by storm.

Last, but certainly not least, is the music. In a word, it's superb. Sure, there are some missteps ("Jump" comes to mind), but on the whole, it's excellent. The cover of Journey's classic "Don't Stop Believin'", led by Lea Michele and Cory Monteith, breathes new life into the song (not that it really needed it), and the casts' cover of Queen's "Somebody to Love" is sublime. Some of the musical numbers even rival their original counterparts in terms of quality, even besting them in some instances ("No Air", "Taking Chances", "Crush", and "Take a Bow" instantly come to mind).

GLEE is a much different show from anything that has been on TV in quite a while. While some of it's novelty comes from its freshness, it's still a show of unbelievable quality that should stick around for quite a while, and should make superstars out of its cast of talented performers.
Erik L.
December 13, 2009
An awesome show which mixes drama, comedy and music, but not in a High School Musical way. Turning all its watchers into Gleeks!
That Kid Critic
November 4, 2009
A Fun to watch musical comedy, filled with great musical numbers, Talented New Artists, And just enough humor to make it Better than most musicals feturing teenagers.