Glitter Reviews

½ April 13, 2015
If I can sit down to watch a musical and just laugh (unintentionally), I think Glitter will be it.

The story of a gifted young singer, Billie Frank (Mariah Carey), who overcomes a turbulent childhood and struggles to find her true identity and voice. During her childhood, Billie is abandoned by her drug-addicted mother and is remanded to an orphanage. Years later, Billie is discovered by charismatic, irresistible "bad boy" DJ Julian Dice (Max Beesley) who hears her demo and, floored by her talent, gets her a record deal. She soon falls for him and he becomes her partner, producer and lover. With Dice, she begins an exciting but often volatile and precarious journey as she struggles through her personal and professional life, riding the roller coaster to superstardom. However, conflicts with Dice hold her back and she ultimately must begin to escape his influence and find her own style.

It is so rare that a movie like Glitter fails on every level-- from the acting, to the writing, to the directing, to.... well, you name it. Everything in Glitter is so amateur that makes me think that this should went straight to VH1, MTV, or maybe Lifetime-- expect I think that those channels have better acting, writing, and direction than Glitter. Not only was the movie amateur, it is also cliched. Watching it was thinking "WOW, I have seen this before but in better movies."

The romance between Carey and Beesley is so unbelievable that I didn't see them as a couple. Not only is it unbelievable but it is very implausible. I really didn't care nor buy their romance as the movie went on.

The acting in Glitter is so bad that it makes the acting in Showgirls look good by comparison. However, Showgirls is so bad it's good. However, Glitter on the other hand is not. But, I will say that to Glitter's credit, you can not watch the film by yourself. However, it does not mean that it's so bad it's good.

The best thing about this film called Glitter is obviously when Carey is singing. Everyone is or was dumping on the soundtrack but it wasn't that bad to be honest. However, it was not a perfect or "oh my god, I have to buy this soundtrack and put it on my iTunes." When Carey sings, it is amazing to hear. And the music is decent to hear too.

Glitter is so bad that Carey herself had a meltdown. She apparently blamed the 9/11 attacks when the movie came out. Truth be told, the film failed critically and financially, having a 7% on Rotten Tomatoes and earning back about 4 million over its 22 million (I think). Come on, lets be honest here, we all know the truth. The truth is that Glitter sucks on every level-- with the exception of the music and Carey singing. I understand that it wasn't Mariah's fault that the movie failed. However, I think that she should stick to singing or maybe sticking to supporting roles like her role in the movie Precious (which is a better movie or maybe a better step for Ms. Carey).

If you want to watch a musical and be entertain, Glitter isn't it. However, if you want to laugh and have a drinking game then you knock yourself out (what I meant about that is you should watch it if you are drunk. Other than that, you should skip this dud and watch some Mariah Carey music videos instead. Oh, did I forget to mention that this film is set in the 80s for no reason. Wow, filmmakers, you really tried it.
February 13, 2015
No stars. I'm not a fan of Miss Carey's singing. (I personally find her voice obnoxious and unpleasant.) But THIS is 10 times worse than any of her songs could ever be. If she had any less screen presence or emotion, you could see right through her to the scenery. The leading man in an unappealing jackass who deserves the vicious slap he gets later in the film. (Sorry for spoilers.) The direction is pedestrian the writing is atrocious, and if you're a fan of Mariah Carey, avoid this like the plague, because it contains her worst songs and will lower your opinion of her as an entertainer. It lowered mine and I didn't even care for her to begin with! Ah, the magic of the silver screen...
January 31, 2015
Glitter fails as Mariah Carrey?s star vehicle being a farrago of threadbare banality leaving it completely hollow, pointless, and surprisingly boring.
January 30, 2015
Stupid, cliche, and horribly directed. Glitter reminds us why singers should never get a film surrounding them and their "amazing" success. Glitter had many directions to go in the beginning and had many opportunities to save itself, but it makes the wrong moves and ends up burning. But it didn't have that much help from its horrible acting from Mariah Carey and its poor editing. Glitter may entertain or amaze die hard Mariah Carey fans and give them what they want, but everyone else would be sleeping, annoyed, or angry by this poor excuse for a film.
November 2, 2014
Glitter is a joyless collection of clichés and terrible performances.
½ September 15, 2014
A rhesus monkey could have written, starred in, and directed a better movie than anybody here.
August 25, 2014
What I got to say about "Glitter" is that it's a okay of a movie. "But I have to also say it's not the best of a movie tho." The performances by the cast is okay, but could be a lot better. "For Mariah Carey, I have to applaud her on her singing ability. But when it comes to acting well let's just say in a polite way she clearly tries to give and deliver a performances that is exceptional. But unfortunately, it don't holds the attention really well." The directing by Vondie Curtis-Hall is okay. The screenplay by Kate Lanier is weak. And the score is good. "I'm raving that "Glitter" is one film that I won't recommend on seeing!"
May 14, 2014
Predictable and boring...certainly deserves its awful reputation.
½ April 16, 2014
There really is no reason for this film. It is so safe, cliched, terribly acted, and uninspired, that it seems the only glitter this film deserves is a glittering sign above it reading "Bargain Bin".
April 9, 2014
Whatever! I freaking LOVE this movie! I don't care if I am the only one!
March 13, 2014
I really don't care what anyone says. I love this movie. I thought the storyline was great, Mariah's acting skills are excellent and the best part about the movie is her vocals. The soundtrack is epic.
January 14, 2014
love this movie sad nobody has it anymore
August 13, 2013
Not as bad as everyone says. It isn't good, though.
½ August 3, 2013
This is the 11th film I reviewed and the first to literally give me a headache. A lot of the critics who have reviewed this film use the word Cliché a lot and understandably so. "Glitter" is not only formulaic, but also has horrible acting and dreadful writing. So.. let's dive into this worthless excuse for a film. I think it's necessary to take your headache medicine first before you go on reading this review.

The story in "Glitter" is very simple. A singer named Billie Frank (Mariah Carey) is trying to make it in the music industry with the help of her dumb ass boyfriend named Julian Dice (Max Beesley) and some support from her equally annoying friends. And.... that's it. Billie faces no real obstacles or challenges to get to her goal. All she does is get into these pointless arguments with her producer and boyfriend Dice. Also I need to mention Julian Dice is probably one of the most annoying and idiotic characters I ever seen. To put it simply, he himself is a clichéd and stereotypical idiot. He starts out very supportive of Billie, but as soon as she starts getting famous (what a shock) he starts to get really jealous. This is of course following that stereotypical story formula of the boyfriend not being really famous and somehow his girlfriend gets all the attention. If that weren't enough, Billie and Dice get into these pointless arguments that I really didn't care about. Simply because the both of them were acting more like children than adults. I won't go too much into Billie's friends Roxanne and Louise because they have no real point in the film besides being really lame comic relief.

Of course, the acting in this film is down right terrible, but sometimes has unintentional comedy. I mean whenever Mariah Carey tries to "act" serious, I started laughing. I laughed because I knew she wasn't really taking this role seriously. She was mainly playing herself and it clearly shows. Again, Max Beesley's character was horrible in every sense of the word. He's poorly acted and frankly whenever he was on screen I wanted to punch him in the face. I also found strange Terrence Howard was in this film, I mean I am not sure how great an actor he really is but surely he must be better than this.

Even though this film was nominated for 6 Razzie Awards, it only won one. Of course, Mariah Carey won Worst Actress. I do think the award is well deserved, but I really would've liked Max Beesley to have won Worst Supporting Actor. Not only was his character annoying and stupid to no end, but his acting was particularly bad here. I might even say this movie should've won Worst Picture, then again I haven't seen "Freddy Got Fingered".

To finally end this review, there is only one word to describe this film. It's the same word I used when I reviewed Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star... pointless. We all know what this film was, a vehicle for Mariah Carey to become an actress. Obviously, this vehicle ran out of gas very quickly. The film is clichéd, the acting is truly awful with unintentional comedy, the story has no surprises and there really is on direction or writing talent. Take my Advice, stay away from this picture. After reviewing this movie, I only have one question... why is this movie even called "Glitter"?
May 16, 2013
I first watched this when I was a little girl and really enjoyed this movie. I watched it again last night and didn't appreciate it the same as now I am much older. But I would definitley suggest it as a good 12 year old slumber party film with face-masks and popcorn. Not one for true movie fanatics such as myself, but will be a definite hit with pre-teens! Lovely little girlie film it is!
April 21, 2013
this is the perfect movie for me
December 19, 2007
Hilariously bad and will haunt your dreams for days to come. Hahaha, slow-mo bullet time out of freakin' nowhere!
½ February 6, 2013
Astonishingly bad, even if you are a Mariah fan, which I am not. Avoid. You cannot get the time back.
January 15, 2013
It's not the best or worse film.
January 3, 2013
Glitter is a collection of a tired, dated storyline, bad dialogue, awkward performances and bad direction. Mariah Carey stars as Billie, in this rags to riches story who is discovered by a hunky JD(Max Beesley, who's Brooklyn accent faulters.)as she is a backup singer for Slyk(Padma Laksmi, who is a dead ringer for former Prince protege Apollonia.)as her star ascents, his declines(so A Star is Born.)directed by Vondie Curtis-Hall who uses too many flash cuts of New York streets it gets old fast, and what is suppposed to be dramatic and emotional comes across as superficial and laughable. Carey does what she can but no real actress can do justice to this film and it's shortcomings.