Goal II: Living the Dream - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Goal II: Living the Dream Reviews

December 23, 2007
A decent follow up to the first film, with the young Mexican snapped up by Real Madrid in the January transfer window to help their champions league campaign. Again this has plenty of guest stars playing themselves and the football games and scenes are very well done. Plot wise the new kid on the block has to cope with fame and fortune, the press, living abroad with his wife back in Newcastle and finding his mother. Not as deep story wise as the first, you do need to watch that first really and I wasn't happy with the quick ending waiting for the third installment, but this is about as good a film about football as can be made. Next up Goal 3 at the World cup!!
MANUGINO
½ November 22, 2008
It was really good, didn't quite surpass the original but it was close to it. Love the play scenes!!! Awesome movie!

After gaining experience with the football club Newcastle United, Santiago Munez (Becker) gets a huge break when he's transferred to Real Madrid.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ August 3, 2008
Announcer: Cometh the moment, cometh the man.

As far as movies go, this is an entirely predictable movie but its pretty decent. If you want a nice Sunday film where you don't have to think, its ideal. The football bits are quite good, the cameos are great and the story is reasonably engaging. Im not saying its brilliant by any means but I don't think it deserves the negative comments its had. Its a good fun football film that any sports fan will enjoy - and fair play for ending on a cliffhanger. Becker is a charming lead and Friel pulls of a reasonably genuine Geordie accent. If you want a sports movie with a bit of heart, fluff, action and a bit of glamour, you won't be disappointed.

3.5/5
ajaymuthecooldevils
½ June 20, 2007
Well... actually I was hoping for a better sequel... But I didn't see it... The story just too standard... They couldn't make a better story than this... But the soundtrack was great... I love every song in this movie... Even the acting of the cast was bad but it was a pleasure to see a great club like Real Madrid with their stars... Hopes the third movie was the best... Because it's the world cup!!!
January 10, 2012
A much better story than the original, but still lacked any real belief. Maybe if he had went to decent side like Utd it would've been better.
½ November 12, 2011
It's worse than the first, this is boring and confusing.
½ June 30, 2011
Not as good as the first film but still watchable. it continues the story as Santiago deals with the fame of becomnig a superstar footballer for Real Madrid. Again, it has lots of cliches but that makes it nonetheless more watchable although it does not end exactly as you would expect, well recommended.
December 29, 2007
Part 2 in which Munez leaves Newcastle and goes to Real Madrid and is swallowed up in the glamour and forgets who he is until he happens to meet his long lost mother living just down the road. The first problem with this film is a lack of plot. What happens off the pitch is boring and tagged on while the other half is Real Madrid trying to win the Champions League - and they do thanks to Beckham who is EVERYWHERE in this film but never speaks. He just smiles or the camera admires his tattoos. Secondly, and considering this is aimed at football fans, apart from a bunch of people in Spain nobody wants to see Real Madrid win the Champions League.
½ September 19, 2015
Not really worth watching. Not as good as the first movie. The first hour is a nothing but poorly executed cliches, to the point where it becomes annoying. A good look at modern soccer.
July 14, 2013
Munez gets everything that he wants and then starts down a destructive path that will lead to him losing everything. The sport really played a very small part in this story and I think the movie overall suffers because of this.
½ March 28, 2013
Descent in comparison with the first one. In my personal opinion, this one, kind of, lost the first movie track at some point. Still descent anyway, but as I said, the fist movie was lot better.
February 14, 2011
What are the chances that the first match featured in this movie was the one I attended in person when I was in Madrid?!! Champions League clash between Real & Olympiakos Athens. The movie itself is predictable & full of cliches, but shot very well & a fun watch, especially for a football fan like me.
½ June 28, 2010
the 1st 1 was still the better, it was a bit confussing at some points but then clears up by the end!! basically it was gr8!! hehe
December 31, 2009
(***): Thumbs Up

It follows the sport movie formula to a tee but I still liked it anyway. Not as good as the first movie but much better than most sequels so I'll give it a small thumbs up.
½ August 3, 2009
I really thought this movie was the only good one in the Goal! trilogy due to how they showed the a top class team and describing not just the benefits for playing for the big leagues but the cons that come with it.
June 29, 2008
I was hoping that this wasn't the direction they were going to take 'Goal'. I loved the first film, but the second one wasn't nearly as good. I think this film was interesting because it had all the big name Real Madrid players in the film. It was neat in that aspect because I'm a Real Madrid fan. The scenes of soccer in the sequel were amazing most of the time. Nothing too memorable though. For me the best part of this film was the relationship between Santi and Harris. I really liked their friendship and the way it was handled. I didn't like the ending however. It seemed like they either didn't know how to end it ran out of money or something. The "To be continued" bit never helps a movie as they left just about every story-line unsolved. I look forward to 'Goal III' and will see it undoubtedly, but 'Goal II' is just a mediocre sports film. I'm somewhat disappointed after the first film.
½ May 8, 2015
It's an ok sequel but still can't escape the routine of not as good as the 1st one. My god It ends with the message 'to be continued'.
½ September 19, 2015
½ February 11, 2015
its ok but some of the football scenes are just horrible
January 1, 2015
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH....THE BEST THING ABOUT THIS MOVIE IS THE SOUNDTRACK, BUT MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH......