Goats

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Goats Reviews

Cynthia S

February 19, 2013
Strangely endearing, but not very exciting. I most likely added a half a star due to David Duchovny being in it. He is a funny, lovely man...
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

December 14, 2012
"What an odd but enjoyable film. If you like a good dysfunctional family film, then this is a movie for you. The mother, Wendy, is far, far out there. I have never seen David Duchovny this way, and I liked it. Goat Man is very cool, lol. It's your usual story of a boy who is estranged from his father, has a crazy loon of a mother, and hippie substitute for a father. It's definitely one of the more quirkier films I have seen this year. I liked Ellis. I felt bad for the kid though. His mother is way to dependent on him which makes her take the childs role while he plays grown up. Goat Man steals every scene he is in. He's definitely one of the most interesting characters I've seen in awhile. It's a fun little indie flick. I would see it again."

October 18, 2013
In "Goats," 15-year old Ellis(Graham Phillips, of "The Good Wife) is leaving home for the first time to attend a prep school back east and will not be around anymore to do the bookkeeping for his mom(Vera Farmiga). What she is really angry about is that this might bring him into the orbit of the estranged baby daddy(Ty Burrell), but at least she has Bennet(Justin Kirk, always where the pot is) to keep her company. And at least Goat Man(David Duchovny) promises to send Ellis some weed which would not be such a big problem if Ellis and his roommate Barney(Nicholas Lobue) were not caught smoking by the track coach(Anthony Anderson) who in turn blackmails Ellis into trying out for the team.

In the entry in the dictionary for the word scattershot, there should be a copy of the movie poster of "Goats, as aimless it can be, emphasizing the strange places some of us have to go for our Vera Farmiga fix. So, maybe you can't make a very good movie involving goats. The important thing is the movie is also brimming with non sequiturs which in the right place, namely here, can be sort of fun, as the movie follows a teenager coming of age and choosing who he wants to be while being torn between two very different lifestyles. And it does not hurt that David Duchovny gives a surprisingly relaxed performance while Keri Russell proves that "The Americans" is no fluke.
Christopher H

April 2, 2012
Even though "Goats" is a coming-of-age story about a boy, played by Graham Phillips, David Duchovny's character, Goat Man, is the center of attention. He can do no wrong and when he disappears, you're wondering more about him and his tribulations, than what is happening to the boy and his family. While there's really nothing new at work in this film, the cast fills out nicely and Duchovny proves he has a true gift for acting.
Jason R

August 11, 2012
An odd little comedy, with a very talented cast.
Hamee
April 6, 2013
This was an interesting story about some bizarre people. It is entertaining enough for a watch, but it will be pretty forgettable.
November 2, 2012
Total indie flick. A guy goes to college and leaves his crazy hippie mom who doesn't deal with it very well. Through the story the crazy mom alienates her ex, but the boy realizes that it may not be his dad after all. In the end he accepts the mother for what she is.
September 25, 2012
A very mediocre coming-of-age flick about a young boy who ventures off to boarding school on the east coast leaving behind the hippie-New Age lifestyle of his mother (Vera Farmiga - Up In the Air, Orphan, The Departed) and that of their poolboy/fix-it-man, Goat Man (David Duchovny - X-Files, Evolution, The Joneses). His biological father (Ty Burrell - "Modern Family", The Incredible Hulk, Dawn of the Dead) once attended his new school and now lives nearby with his new wife (Keri Russell - "Felicity", August Rush, Mission: Impossible III). The story offers up nothing really new -- other than the student, Ellis, is a 15 year old avid pot-smoker who feels abandoned by Goat Man when he doesn't mail him a supply of weed. Ellis begins to contrast the two extremely different lifestyles ... and the film his him adjusting to a new life influenced by both. It is about as exciting as goats (which CAN be interesting; but) ...
December 30, 2012
Filmed about 5 minutes down the road from where I live I must say I am a tiny bit biased. This is a very unique and well done film tho. Some might say the story line is a little dull, but I don't think it was meant to be over the top or extremely dramatic at all. A good coming of age story of a 15 year old boy who goes to a Preparatory High School called Gates (The Taft School for all of us locals who know its true name). His two parents seem to send mixed signals to him and he is torn between the two of them and what they both want for him. Goat man is his stand in father and major part of the movie. While this film isn't for everyone I mist say that it should be given a shot.
Madmartigan
May 25, 2014
Unique story, great characters, interesting flick.
April 1, 2014
Goats is fully of interesting characters who never do anything! Its like a coming of age story, but Ellis has already come of age. With the exception of a slight improvement in Ellis' relationship with his father, everyone is exactly the same at the end as when the movie started.
This story had so much potential. It just went nowhere.
March 8, 2014
I am a believer. This movie is created to morph your brain into thinking that being a couch potato , pot head, will get you places, and it will if you have the right mind set. Watch this film, eat some chips. Then think to yourself... maybe i should have gone to college. Enjoy.
Dave J
November 22, 2013
Friday, November 22, 2013

(2012) Goats
DRAMA

Adapted the screenplay from his own novel by the name of Mark Poirier that was co-produced and directed by Christopher Neil which is a subtle oddball of a film centering on 15 year old Ellis Whitman (Graham Phillips) coming to grips with the break up of his family and the people he interacts with, once leaving the household to go to an all boys prep school. At first Ellis appears to be the only normal one since he's the narrator, but viewers should be able to feel empathy with other characters as the film is progressing, particularly the father Frank Whitman (Ty Burrell) at first they nicknamed him as "F-cker Frank" who abandoned him and his mother to be with other people... and so we thought. It is called "Goats" because of Ellis's bond with the animals as well as the quirky character "Goatman", an unusual role played by David Duchovny who does nothing but smokes cannabis, and originally lives in the same household as Ellis as caretaker of the pool and gardener. Vera Farmiga(Into the Air) who plays the Ellis's mother as Wendy is probably the only character that's hard to identify but overall she's still quite harmless. Kerri Russell also stars as Judy, and a memorable sleazy performance by Justin Kirk as Bennett. This is one of those rare oddball movies about how things are able to work themselves out without resorting to extreme measures.

3 out of 4

October 18, 2013

September 19, 2012
Though disjointed, it has heart. Definitely recommend.
September 6, 2012
One of the better movies i saw this year, no bullshit.
June 2, 2013
A sweet movie with a star studded cast. The tonal atmosphere of the movie was achieved masterfully, however goats seems to thinly spread with many of it's plot lines feeling underdeveloped.
FilmGrinder S.
May 9, 2013
86%

"I've been breeding noneco intrusive goats for the bio spirt, plus, rescue goats that are trained to sniff survivers out of the rubble in a desaster, um, desaster goats."-Goat Man (David Duchovny)

I'd take a trek with Duchovny any goat stinking day. Felt I have some things in common with this one.
bill s.
January 29, 2013
Quirky little movie with decent performances....lagged a bit but watchable.
January 1, 2013
exactly what it was supposed to be...