97% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

God Bless America Reviews

Cynthia S

December 28, 2013
Really...let's glamorize people that want to shoot other people for annoying them. Wonderful...
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

October 10, 2013
Upon hearing he has an inoperable brain tumor, mild-mannered Frank goes on a killing spree targeting reality TV stars, conservative talk show hosts, and others whom he sees as representing the worst of American mean-spiritedness; he's joined in his project by an outcast teen girl. Bobcat Goldthwait's angry but preachy black comedy is sort of an aging hipster version of Joel Shumaker's FALLING DOWN, but with zero subtlety. Frank doesn't speak in sentences, he speaks in editorials.
Spencer S

October 3, 2013
This is definitely a film that will divide people immediately, because between the satire and the black comedy, the violence and obvious lamentation of the lost American Way, director and writer Bobcat Goldthwait has a lot to say. Also none of it is positive. Maybe twenty years ago, but not now, not when there are so many differentiations and categories of annoying people doing annoying things in the world today. Picking each of these inane people off the face of that world turns into a revenge fantasy for main character Frank (Murray) and sidekick Roxy (Barr). Struck with the realization that his migraines are being caused by a giant death giving tumor, Frank begins a siege on the country by killing off all manner of horrible people, a teenager at his side, who may not be the best companion but has the same hate that fuels him. The satire isn't anything new, as we've seen in films such as "Idiocracy," but it's finely crafted here and takes its time rather than going for the worst scenario possible. What really triggers people's opinion of this film are the great monologues given by Frank on how exactly these people are playing into stereotypes, their false idyllic thoughts of the world, and their own annoying habits. They pick off religious zealots, singing competition judges, loud neighbors, reality starlets, and hate mongering television pundits, and these people are not dealt with for hateful reasons. Frank simply wants to know why people are so mean, stupid, or acidic when they could act better to one another and towards the world. Though the point is brought about thanks to gunfire, the film has an obviously positive point towards peace and understanding in the world, and the employment of common sense. It may be over the top, but it's an important, and very funny, film.
Dr114
Dr114

July 23, 2013
It's twisted and dark but it does an amazing job holding up a mirror to America and saying "This is you!". I thought God Bless America's ability to not hold back on the fantasy aspect of eliminating all of the annoying people was fantastic. It stuck to this idea and went all out with a large amount of casual violence. But it did have its flaws. The Roxy character (played by Tara Lynne Barr) felt like she was forced into the storyline just to keep the plot moving along and for Bobcat Goldthwait to express a lot of the petty things he is angry about. Also, it felt a lot like the film Super, but this was a lot more cynical than Super was. Overall- It's Bonnie And Clyde meets the now-a-days throwaway culture we live in. A film that sadly represents the dredges of pop culture and kicks its ass. Though we've seen the relationship aspect of the tale done much better before, we still get an enjoyable satire. Letter Grade: B
blkbomb
blkbomb

February 13, 2013
Frank: Why have a civilization if we are no longer interested in being civilized.

"Taking out the trash, one jerk at a time."

I'm disappointed in myself for waiting as long as I did to finally watch Bobcat Goldthwait's God Bless America. After watching it, I can acknowledge that this is easily a new favorite of mine. This statement deserves a little explanation I believe. There are movies that are favorites because we view them as some of the better movies ever made and then there are favorites that are favorites just because they seem to be perfectly suited to our lives, beliefs, joys, etc. God Bless America is a favorite of mine because I hated every single person Frank and Roxy killed just as much as them.

Frank is a divorced man, whose daughter is turning into a brat, whose neighbors keep him up, who suffers from migraines, and who is sick and tired of where the country is going and of where it is now. Instead of killing himself, he takes a trip to kill a reality tv star. After doing so, he meets Roxy, who couldn't be happier with what he did. Roxy is a teenage girl. You could describe anti ummm.... everything. Now Roxy teams up with Frank and they take to killing people who don't deserve to die.

There's a lot to love about God Bless America in my mind. I love the play on our television shows. God Bless America makes all the truth of the shows come out by making the fake shows in the film more over the top, but it is all still spot on. I especially loved the news anchor who is obviously a characterization of Bill O'Reilly("You're just a pinhead!"). My favorite thing about the film though are the two leads, Joel Murray as Frank and Tara Lynne Barr as Roxy. The two had a great chemistry and every scene was just beautifully acted by both.

Some may not like the story, some may not like the violence, some may not like the message, and some may just not like the movie period. I for one though loved every single second of this film. I will never ever say that I believe this is one of the best movies ever made, but damn it, it may be one of my favorites. Fuck America(joke, don't come get me Homeland); God Bless Goldthwait's.
Phil H

January 25, 2013
Are you fed up with life? fed up with the people around you? fed up with the constant mindless dribble that is shown on TV 24/7? the celebrity/sport addicted media or the use of brain sapping technology like 'Twitter' and txt on smart phones etc...?. Then why not break free and go on a killing rampage to release the world of these modern day problems.

Directed by Bobcat Goldthwait (yes that lunatic from a few 'Police Academy' movies) and with an unknown cast (to me) that really do shine. The plot is cute but totally unoriginal now I'm afraid, a depressed, ill, suicidal office worker gets fired and mentally snaps. He begins a killing spree with people that really annoy him or don't really deserve what they have, in short he's sick of modern day America. Along the way he picks up and befriends a young school girl who loves what he is doing so joins in and helps him.

So yeah...its basically an update of 'Natural Born Killers' with a hint of 'Bonnie and Clyde' perhaps, no bank robbing though. Its a dark comedy positively brewing over with sadism which is accompanied by a cheerful soundtrack as the happy couple go on the lam executing people they believe to be unworthy. If you think along the lines of 'Office Space' and that angle of comedy but much much darker.

What is truly excellent about this film is the pinpoint accuracy of the story and the way it shows us how utterly god awful modern day TV is. The immense popularity of reality shows like 'Pop Idol' and 'Big Brother' where morons are displayed for public humiliation or so called talent. This is the main focus of the plot, the spark that lights the main characters fuse for action. Other issues such as celebrity obsession, sport obsession, rudeness, lack of respect, general modern day pop culture and the whole self centered approach to today's society is targeted.

It really is a joy to watch as 'Frank' and 'Roxy' gun down a group of youths in the local cinema for talking on their mobile phones and not shutting up throughout the film (oh how many times have you thought about that...don't lie). Extremist religious protesters on a march, a bloke who takes up two car parking spaces, an abrasive politician off TV and of course a spoilt brat from one of those glorious reality TV shows.

The real mission for the pair is the judges on the popular reality show 'Superstarz' (a wonderful mockery of...well I'm sure you know). This is where they are headed, to end the lives of the pretentious, insensitive, rude, obnoxious panel of judges that make money from the 'know nothing, no talent' cultural obsession of our modern age.

Like I say I hadn't heard of either main stars for this film but boy was I impressed!. Joel Murray as 'Frank' is just your every man, a bog standard blue collar office boy, but you really find yourself wanting him to win, get his point across. This character is the champion for all the regular law abiding joe's out there in reality, people who don't try to play the system, people who pay their bills and keep to speed limits.

On the other hand the character of 'Roxy' played by Tara Lynne Barr I think is just there so boys can see a female teen kick ass. Yeah I could be wrong but seeing her gunning down perps (well kinda perps) as she leans out of their yellow Camaro with a grin on her face is...well its kinda hot. I actually think Barr slightly over acts to be honest, she's very good but a bit too over excited to be in the film methinks.

Cutting right down to the bone this film is an unapologetic, blistering, scathing backlash at our society today, or should that be American society today. Its dark as hell as Goldthwait doesn't hide from the brutal truth, statements that will slap you across the face and make you pay attention.

Its not perfect, not suppose to be a serious thriller or anything of course but I was thinking that surely by the midway point there would be masses of police after them. And surely the Camaro they stole would give them away somewhat, it is big, loud, fast and banana yellow. It does make the act of multiple murders look easy as they never seem to have any trouble from any law officials anywhere!.

A fantastic film which I hadn't even heard of until I stumbled across the poster online. The beginning is by far the best and most amusing, the plot gets a touch off base as the couple start knocking people off and the film becomes more 'routine'. But the trigger happy violence against folk you love to hate turns this into some kind of feel good road movie...worryingly.

I mean seriously, you haven't ever thought about waking on stage and blowing away certain well known reality TV judges?. Then perhaps turning to the camera and telling everybody at home what a mindless moron they are...yeah if you watch these reality shows you'd best not watch this film, it might sting.
UUd I

November 28, 2012
This movie shows the polemic about the modern culture. This movie has the same idea about what i hate in modern culture. unfortunately I don't have a courage like Frank.
Jack Hawkins
Jack Hawkins

September 11, 2012
'God Bless America' is a preachy, irritating film that ultimately fails to resonate with the audience. I regularly shared the sentiment of the film's protagonist, I am cynical and I too hate the celebrity culture the film attacks, but he's so tiringly cynical and grumpy that he is hard to relate to. Though he is articulate, Frank (Joel Murray) reminded me of the cerebrally impaired, uninformed, generalising idiots you find on forums such as 'The Daily Mail Online', people with a chip on their shoulder who smugly moan on about standards of education and the justice system as if they know what they're talking about.

So almost immediately, there is a big problem, but then it gets worse, the film's credibility sinks upon the arrival of Roxy (Tara Lynee Barr), Frank's annoying little side-kick. Their ensuing double act kills it, this hyperbolic, fantastical approach means that it isn't half as effective as 'Falling Down', which is a darker film that resonates through being funny, tragic and for the most part, realistic. It is Roxy that places 'God Save America' alongside the awful pseudo-superhero film 'Super', but thankfully Tara Lynne Barr's acting style isn't as unbearably smug as Ellen Page's.

There's also a scene that copies the gun salesman scene in 'Taxi Driver' almost verbatim, which I found more of an offence than some sort of homage, or whatever they intended it to be. I saw no redeeming reason for cramming this kitsch scene in the closing 15 minutes.

A merit would be that some of the slayings are indeed quite funny in their brutality, especially one concerning one of the vile creatures from those awful 'Super Sweet 16' programmes, but unfortunately the film quickly loses the little steam it mustered.
Anthony L

September 13, 2012
I feel like Frank most days (without the killing part). A film like this, IE; a film that has a person kill another for not being very nice is always going to be flawed in a way due to the contradiction of the action. Surely it's better to have a reason though, Bonnie and Clyde is a great film and is commonly regarded as an American classic but I would argue that it depicts a darker set of individuals or is at least the the worse of two evils. It is of course dripping in satire, not just as a reaction to modern culture (if you can call it culture) but also to films and TV being made today, unhealthy beliefs of self importance and the 'rights' people think they're entitled too. It's shocking, it's also quite wrong in many ways but it's lots of fun. The script is brilliant, it smashes old cliches to pieces and gives a very decent twist to the usual ' Bonnie and Clyde' type of film. The acting is also very good but what works the best is the way that all the things that are depicted in this film are not exaggerated - TV really is this bad today and people are this moronic. This film is destined to be either loved or misunderstood but then if everyone loved it it wouldn't exist would it. Bobcat Goldthwait is a brilliant writer and director and is without doubt one of the most interesting film makers working in America today. Long may he reign!
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

March 19, 2012
"I get why so many enjoyed this movie. They do and say a lot of what others are thinking. But I still thought the movie was just whatever. I didn't find it funny or entertaining. It felt like more like an almost two hour bitch fest of what is wrong with America. I don't disagree with most of it. But the rant just dragged on way too long and it became very boring and I got tired of the film quite fast. Not something I would want to sit through again."
Wildaly M

July 6, 2012
I think that the satire and criticism are top-notch in this film. I could absolutely relate to what the film was trying to tell us about our current status quo. However, I still felt that more could be done with this since the plot was a little bit uneven at times. I really liked it overall though.
Tyler C

March 15, 2012
Outlandish, controversial, and insanely over-the-top at times, God Bless America serves as a magnum opus fantasy to those that detest the pop culture obsessions of this generation. It has no rules by any means and is very unforgiving in its content, but it's still one of the best darkly comedic satires I've seen in some time.
boxman
boxman

June 2, 2012
Bobcat Goldthwait's (World's Greatest Dad) pitch-black social satire is something akin to Idiocracy meets Falling Down. Frank is a terminally-ill man (Joel Murray), fired from his job, and he's had enough with the coarsening of American culture. He teams up with Roxy (Tara Lynne Barr), a precocious teenager, and embarks on a killing spree intended to take out the people responsible for making us so mean. Nothing is subtle about Goldthwait's satire, and while the victims are easy targets (reality TV, media fearmongering, hateful religious extremists), the results are wickedly funny and entertaining on a vicarious level. Murray is given a few standout speeches about the poisoning of intelligence, the celebration of self-absorption and ignorance, and while it may be preaching to the choir, God Bless America has enough moments that make you want to stand up and salute. There is a sequence in a movie theater where Frank and Roxy kill a group of noisy, inconsiderate teenagers, and I think this part should be shown before every movie, in every theater, for the rest of time.

What stops the film from being an irresponsible 90 minutes of pure cranky wish-fulfillment is that Goldthwait does not condone his killer's point of view. The movie finds ways to undercut the glamorization of what they do, whether it's robbing Frank of a movie-style "cool kill," having Roxy list off every annoyance she think is worthy of being killed over (including people who misuse the word "literally" and Diablo Cody) and having Frank reign her in, or the fact that Frank admits to finding some common ground with a blowhard pundit's political views. This is definitely a movie for a select audience, but for people with a perverse sense of humor and a sense of rising frustration and dread over the popular culture, God Bless America is the movie equivalent of a cultural enema. It's the darkest movie about manners you'll likely see in a lifetime.

Nate's Grade: A-
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

April 23, 2012
"Taking out the trash, one jerk at a time."

On a mission to rid society of its most repellent citizens, terminally ill Frank makes an unlikely accomplice in 16-year-old Roxy.

REVIEW
Bobcat Goldthwait's scathing critique on modern pop culture is vicious, unapologetically ugly and truly hilarious. Whereas Mike Judge's "Idiocracy" was a clever yet far fetched tale of humanity gone stupid, "God Bless America" uses, with absolute precision, a scalpel to peel back layer after disturbing layer of American shallowness and cruelty. Incorporating elements of mindless pop culture, media propaganda, and reality TV cruelty and bravado, this movie perfectly illustrates the all too real (and sudden) cultural cancer that people nowadays consider entertainment. It is simultaneously hilarious and morbid.

Its Idiocracy meets Natural Born Killers and for a very generic description that may suffice, but it is a far more intelligent movie than Idiocracy was (or even set out to be). Make no mistake about it, this is a very dark movie and there is more murder and blood than you could shake a swizzle stick at, yet the brutality is tempered with hilarity and witty observation that seamlessly keeps this movie always headed in the right direction - there is no confusion here, it knows exactly what it's saying.

I worry this movie may fly under the radar since the typical mainstream audience is pretty much the targeted subject material here, but I think this movie is an instant classic. It so eloquently dissects all the absurdities of modern American culture, the desire for fame and to be known, the need for attention, etc. The trailer doesn't do this movie justice -- it's really good!
Kevin C

March 28, 2012
God Bless America feels more like writer director Bobcat Goldthwait channeling a combination of his sophisticated conversations about the alarming state of modern media and his condescending bar rants of how stupid everyone is than a thought-out satirical narrative. It's crazy and it's pretty entertaining, with the exception of more than a handful of scenes where the two main characters sit around for 5 minutes and list things and people they hate, but the satire here is about as subtle and graceful as a bullet to the head.
axadntpron
axadntpron

April 12, 2012
An extremely black comedy that is frighteningly cathartic. The satire is wildly over-the-top & sadly, pretty spot on.The blood shoots out with violent force, and the monologues are explosive and wrought with irreverence. Just the type of shocking material that our current culture is accustomed to. Because director Bobcat Goldthwait knows that as much as the viewer may hate aspects of our society, they are still a product of it.
The shtick does get a little old after a while and some observations are much more astute than others. Also, the characters are brimming with sardonic commentary but are unfortunately a little light on depth. However, Goldthwait has my respect for getting something as audacious as this made into a feature film.
Anybody with even the slightest inkling that our current culture is too extreme and mean-spirited, will find themselves begrudgingly rooting for Frank, our anti-hero who finally has the balls to say "enough."
Sam B

January 28, 2012
"God Bless America" is a captivating satire of current American culture, courtesy of the warped mind of Bobcat Goldthwait, the writer/director who previously wrote the much under-appreciated Robin Williams movie "World's Greatest Dad". The film is the story of one man who, with a tumor in his brain and a country lacking all sense of common decency, decides to go on a rampage, killing everyone deemed 'mean,' or 'rude,' - basically, everything wrong with America. The film mentions Jersey Shore, American Idol, Lindsay Lohan, people who are loud in movie theaters, people who park in two spots at once, and really taps in to that "shows what we all want to see" part of the brain. In other words, its an extreme case of wish fulfillment, where good people murder those who 'deserve to die', a subjective viewpoint that really starts to blur the lines of morality.

While God Bless America has noticeably low production values, no sense of logic (don't see it if you get easily maddened by a lack of realism) and some of the pop culture iconography roasted in the film is a bit out of date, Goldthwait's execution is so fantastic that its easy to overlook the movie's issues. Among the great triumphs accomplished here are the two lead performances. played by not-big-name actors Joel Murray and Tara Lynne Barr, are surprisingly great, and allow audiences to sympathize with killers, . Then you have a killer script that takes its concept right where it should go. My concern with this movie was that its easy to take such a great concept like this and then squander it with a script that doesn't take full advantage of its promise (as was the main issue with the conceptually similar Mike Judge's "Idiocracy"), but God Bless America's writing is so top notch, its argument so fully explored and debated on the screen, that even if you don't agree with everything, you have to admire its thoughtfulness. By portraying characters who are at once the good guys and the murderers, it really forces audiences to think about what is good, what is bad, and what is justifiable, on a moral level. All in all, God Bless America is what would happen if Idiocracy and Martin Scorsese's classic Taxi Driver had a baby. And if that sounds like an incredibly odd combination, it is. The movie is a little crazy, and so is its director. But he's the good kind of crazy, and the film, while not perfect, really works.