God Told Me To - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

God Told Me To Reviews

July 30, 2015
Odd little flick as only Larry Cohen can do.
March 11, 2014
This is exactly what is missing in modern (particularly post-80s)horror films. Take note, young Sam Raimi wannabes... Gore and pointless nudity are not enough to make a true cult classic. This movie is a prime example as it contains no real gore and only a little nudity- and it's done for horror value more than cheap arousal. This movie epitomizes the weird plotting and over-the-top social commentary of the old B-flicks. I still can't say I fully understand what exactly the metaphysical reality is that was being portrayed... but I do know what it was in rebellion against- and that's what counts. The weirdness of the plot will keep you hooked in, much in the way of a Lovecraft story (the kind of horror story that usually doesn't do well on film). And you'll be asking questions at the end.
½ March 4, 2015
For as cheap and low budget as it is, it's a decent attempt. The problem is the first half of the movie is just the same basic stuff happening over and over again (someone kills someone and says "God told me to"). We don't really get the turn in the plot until about halfway through, and it kind of comes out of nowhere and makes the whole thing kind of difficult to understand because of it. The second half is far more interesting, but I was having trouble following it because my attention had faded at this point. It felt like a Larry Cohen movie at least, but it wasn't his best. I feel I may have to watch this one again because right now I'm not much of a fan and this is the second time in my life I've had trouble sitting through it because I was bored.

On another note, the blu-ray is a mediocre transfer. Nothing special in my opinion.
½ October 17, 2014
Larry Cohen might not be the most sophisticated filmmaker but he is one of the most unbridled in terms of the inherent lunacy of New York. In the harrowingly scary 'God Told Me To', a sniper shoots bystanders from a water tower and Tony Lo Bianco is nonplused to unearth that the culprit committed the heinous in the name of God. Richard Lynch is photographed in a fluorescent halo that gives him both a messianic aura and an otherworldly glow. He is a genuinely galvanizing figure in a furnace room scene where Lo Bianco is unscathed during an uncontrollable fire. Somehow the vise grip wreathes the viewers with an enigmatic angle with Lo Bianco's inquiry over immaculate conception and the second coming of a Christ-like figure. The crisis-of-faith storyline overrides the brainwashing horror but 'God Told Me To' is a crazily ambitious gem in Cohen's forte.
November 28, 2012
Strange blend of religion, science and violence...--Unique, gutsy, on the run film making!!
½ July 2, 2014
Starts off with quite a good premise, lots of people randomly committing murders before explaining it with the title line. About the half way mark though it completely loses its way, something about aliens, something abduction, something religious, something...something...bizarre.
½ March 25, 2014
Ah, Larry Cohen. So many brilliantly strange ideas, but so little money to bring them to life. This is one of his better films in my opinion, although the photography is amateurish and the editing seems to have been performed by a mediocre first-year film student. Tony Lo Bianco is a police detective investigating a series of apparently random homicides performed by seemingly ordinary people who tell the confused cop, 'God told me to.' From this basic set-up Cohen weaves a bizarre tale that is part cop thriller, part religious rumination, and part sci-fi headtrip. The cast (one of the best Cohen ever assembled) do a surprisingly good job, and take the material seriously. The main problem with the film is the aforementioned photography and cutting, which seem awfully rushed and ham-handed. I get the feeling that with a bigger budget the filmmakers could've ironed out all the creases and produced a more fully realized film. There are several memorable images to be found here, and the score does a good job of capturing the spirit of Bernard Herrmann's work (he was slated to score this film but died before he had the chance). Unfortunately the film is brimming with unintentional laughter including the lamentable casting of Andy Kaufman as a cop who goes on one of the god-sanctioned rampages (this was shot before Kaufman became a household name) and some black stereotypes that are hopefully too ridiculous to be all that offensive today (and which seem to have been imported from another film entirely). In spite of my complaints I find this movie immensely enjoyable, and fans of Cohen will definitely appreciate it. After all, it's certainly better than The Stuff.
June 11, 2013
What do you know, God told me to watch this film titled "God Told Me to". Sounds derange, but it's true! I must see it now.
November 21, 2012
prvite 30 min se super, za da posle zabega vo teski gluposti...
Francisco G.
October 23, 2012
It's an interesting story that works for the most part. The mistery is nice at first, has some disturbing imaginary on a couple of scenes and one or two neat twists but are a bit forced and predictable. Technically, it's a horrible movie to look at with an atrocious camera work and unconvicing soundtrack. Passable.
March 31, 2012
I can't honestly say I enjoyed this, not entirely anyways. It had a few good moments in it, but not enough to warrant repeated viewings. It started out ok, with everybody getting shot at random...it was actually quite comical. :) I'm still confused on the whole God/Alien/Supreme Being device in the plot, but oh well. It was an interesting attempt anyway.
February 27, 2012
An underrated horror film, it's pretty chilling stuff
January 24, 2012
Only Larry Cohen would have the gall to make a Jesus ,Space alien ,serial killer ,exploitation movie all in one go .
And despite the odd plot lunge the film is deft and interesting.and one of the directors best films.
Tony Lo Bianco plays a New York Cop who begins to unravel the secret behind random murders where all the killers say that god told them to commit the crime.
As he begins to crack the case Lo bianco becomes embroiled in a weird new messiah alaien pregnancy plot which leads him to a christ like being hiding out in a New York slum.

Along the way he uncovers more about his own past and how it interlinks with the figure in the basement. and how what he does will also have an affect on those around him.

The secret to this film is the fact that Cohen never wastes a shot and gets good performances from actors even though its a B Movie.

Lo Bianco gets a rare lead role here and he is excellent as ther troubled cop on the case ,the film has some important questions to ask ,but mostly just gasp that Cohen managed to get away with such a bold storyline .
½ January 12, 2012
Writer/director Larry Cohen has never been known for his conventional movies, and while "God Told Me To" is one of his earliest films it remains one of his most unconventional and unusual. Up until the halfway point I was with the movie, admiring the ambitiousness and originality.
The opening scenes really grab you, and the central mystery is intriguing to the point of it becoming an absolute necessity to know just where the film is headed. Then, when you find out how Cohen explains all of those strange events, the whole thing collapses under all of the silliness. I admired Tony Lo Bianco's strong lead performance, and I was with his character for the first half.
Everything that follows after that point is ludicrous, hard to follow and ultimately it leaves you with more unanswered questions than satisfaction. There's a lot of mumbo jumbo about God and religion, some kind of secret society that knows all of the secrets and a lot of weird, confusing doubts about Bianco's muddled past. To be honest, after all was said and done, I couldn't tell you with any amount of certainty what happened.
Cohen's innovative script goes desperately awry and never recovers, leaving the viewers in the dust. There are some good moments, and even when things fall apart, I still fund myself almost recommending it just for the sheer silliness of it all.
There's a lot going on in "God Told Me To", and some of it is actually worth watching. And on the plus side, there's never a dull moment, even when you have no idea what's going on.
August 28, 2011
To borrow a phrase from Robin Wood, whose Hollywood from Vietnam to Reagan led me to this film, God Told Me To is an "incoherent" text." The incoherence is on two levels: one) it is narratively difficult to parse the logical flow of the story (why is this happening? how did we get to this scene?) and two) unclear about its thematic and ideological objectives. And yet there is still some very powerful elements in the film, especially those touching on religion and faith, especially how faith intersects with violence. Even though it's true that religion and violence aren't only a contemporary phenomenon still God Told Me To seems eerily prescient. And, if nothing else, it has one of the most startling and perversely inventive religious symbols I've seen in any medium. But you have to wait til the last reel for it.
½ July 13, 2011
The hell did this come from?
June 7, 2011
I remember seeing this movie a long time ago. It had horrible acting, and in the end we see that God is a giant vagina? At least that's what I got out of it.
May 11, 2011
January 6, 2011
Larry Cohen's early film about random citizens suddenly turning violent, saying that God told them to do it when they are finally taken down. A detective becomes obsessed with the case, which moves the film from a horror/thriller into the realms of sci-fi by the time that the credits roll.

Truly a unique viewing experience, one that I think I will grow to like even more on repeated viewings, as I know what strange turns it will take.

Worth a look.