• Directed By:
    Francis Ford Coppola
    In Theaters:
    Mar 24, 1972 Wide
    On DVD:
    Oct 9, 2001
  • Paramount Pictures

Best film ever?

For me,it is.But there are so many other good movies out there,so I wonder what you guys think.
For the record,there really is no such thing as 'overrated'. There are fans,fan boys,admirers and critics for everything.Opinions matter.
Gimhana Fernando
11-26-2012 02:57 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

Like many people have pointed out, it depends on what you mean by best film ever. For me, there's a difference by BEST film ever and GREATEST film ever. Greatest means outside impact. It's the greatest because there is no other movie critics praise more, no other movie that has had such a lasting impact in cinema (you could argue Citizen Kane, but it's close).

Best implies quality without outside response, because honestly the best movie ever should be the best movie ever despite how people reacted to it. And this is impossible to judge. What would decide the best between Die Hard and Singing in the Rain? Black Swan or Airplane? Princess Bride or Grave of the Fireflies? All great movies, but for vastly different reasons. Is The Godfather the best movie ever? I don't know

Also, you'd have to be really stupid to think the acting in this movie sucks. No, that's not opinion. There's a very subjective difference between the quality of acting in The Godfather and Birdemic.

Sep 30 - 07:47 PM

EntertainMeOrDie

Entertain Me Or TIE

yawn

Jul 22 - 01:59 PM

TheMovieGuy

Robbie Moore

I'm probably going to get a lot of hate from this, but I didn't like the movie at all. It dragged for almost a time running of three hours. The plot was boring and I just wanted to fall asleep. But because of Brando's performance, I liked it just a little bit more.

Jul 3 - 02:37 PM

Les C.

Les Caldera

GOODFELLAS WAS BETTER WATCH THIS MOVIE DID NOT LIKE THE ACTING AND FIGHTING WAS BAD YOU CAN TELL BY A MILE THEY DONT HIT EACH OTHER I REALLY THINK THIS MOVIE IS OVERATED I GUESS YOU HAD TO WATCH IT IN THE 70'S TO APPRECIATED IT

Jun 21 - 10:27 PM

Market Man

Eric Shankle

I was a little bored by this film. I think Goodfellas is a much more entertaining mobster film and it's a true story.

Jun 2 - 12:21 AM

Café C.

Café Com Tripas

While Shawhansk Redemption is a good movie, but too deified by the public. But let's be honest, is not a great movie, It is not so important and influential. There is Kane or Godfather. Not top 10 of AFI. Is not well regarded by Sight & Sound. Anyway, it's a good movie overestimated. It is predictable, simple, easy. Without major challenges.

May 19 - 12:41 PM

Café C.

Café Com Tripas

He is the king of all lists of best films. So, yes it is the best movie ever.

May 19 - 12:39 PM

Judge Nikhil

nikhil bhardwaj

i forgot to add Apur Sansar which is also better than this film

May 15 - 09:44 AM

Judge Nikhil

nikhil bhardwaj

seven samurai,citizen kane, birth of a nation,metropolis,psycho,on the waterfront are better than this

May 15 - 09:36 AM

Branden M.

Branden Mata

Birth of a Nation hahaha.

Sep 16 - 10:35 AM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

Birth of a Nation? Really?

Sep 30 - 07:26 PM

Sam Denyer

Sam Denyer

I think that it may seem dated now. It is truly a wonder of cinema, but every film has it's time. Look at Psycho, my brother didn't find that scary at all. The same with The Birds. It's a sad truth really.

Apr 25 - 01:46 PM

Adam Mott

Adam Mott

I'm sure The Godfather has an amazing story and excellent screenplay, but truth is the damn movie put me to sleep.
Fav movies: STAR WARS, Shawshank Redemption, Fight Club, Batman (1989, Returns, and Dark Knight Series), Man on Fire, Fast and Furious series (screw you, I love cars and sexy women :p)

Apr 6 - 08:42 PM

Sam Denyer

Sam Denyer

Oh add Ben-Hur and Citizen Kane, along with the LOTR series...

Mar 22 - 12:09 PM

Sam Denyer

Sam Denyer

There are too many good films to find a winner. Gone With the Wind, The Shawshank Redepmtion, The Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Alien and Aliens, the Toy Story series, Up, The Artist and many more.

Mar 22 - 12:08 PM

Lucas Brodsky

Lucas Brodsky

Well it's my favorite.

Mar 16 - 06:20 PM

Brad Diggory

Brad Diggory

As cliched as this sounds, I don't think you can really define what movie is the 'Best film ever'. My favorite movie is, and I'm breaking the first two rules to tell you this, Fight Club. If you asked me why I don't think I could tell you off the top of my head. In my opinion, it's flawless, although I really don't think I'd go as far to say it's the best film ever made. Neither would I say Pulp Fiction or Shawshank are either (both of which are also fantastic films as I'm sure you already know). Who knows, maybe the best film ever made is an obscure one that never hit the mainstream, or maybe a perfect film is one that may not be understood by the general public and therefore has a lot of negative publicity associating it (my God, I sound so wannabee-hipster).

Mar 15 - 04:40 AM

Rahul S.

Rahul Shome

Godfather is the best movie of all time!

Mar 12 - 06:16 PM

Kathleen Bennett

Kathleen Bennett

This is the best movie of all time !!!!!!!

Mar 9 - 04:21 PM

Danny M.

Danny Malone

I would never say any movie is the "best" of all time, but I can see why people would tag "The Godfather," with that title. It was beautifully acted by all involved. Marlon Brando received the Academy Award, but in my opinion this was Al Pacino's shining moment. He had to play a character who evolved over the course of the movie, essentially playing two characters. It was visually striking for it's time. The reason this is my favorite crime movie is the violence isn't overdone. There was nothing about the film that played to shock value. It spawned some of the most quoted phrases of all time e.g., 'an offer he can't refuse,' 'this, the day of my daughter's wedding,' 'Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes,' etc. It permeated every facet of popular culture which is in and of itself an astonishing accomplishment. It all boils down to personal taste I suppose, but as far as this film lover is concerned, The Godfather is only rivaled by it's sequel.

Mar 3 - 10:59 PM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

I loved the acting job in the dark knight by health ledger. The movie was also very well done, so i would go with the dark knight as the best movie ever

Mar 1 - 09:52 AM

aasheeshou

Aasheesh Singh

I Think its the Best Movie Ever with such a powerful star cast. This movie stands above all films. This is God of All movies

Feb 21 - 11:43 AM

Zane B

Chum Chum

In terms of achieving every technical aspect of film making and story telling, yes. That was done perfectly, from what I saw. But still, it's not my favorite movie. That just all has to do with personal taste.

Feb 14 - 11:37 AM

Robbie Obrien

Robbie Obrien

Nah, I think The Shawshank Redemption is the best film of all time. This is a GREAT movie though. Probably hovering in the top 40-50 somewhere.

Jan 1 - 02:25 PM

Adam Mott

Adam Mott

def agreed. The Shawshank Redemption is in my top fav movies.

Apr 6 - 08:33 PM

Café C.

Café Com Tripas

Sorry, But what? Shawhansk Redemption is a film overrated. There is classic cinema. Film is not groundbreaking, important. Not the work of a genius like Kubrick, Bresson, Coppola, Welles, Renoir and others. The script is predictable and simple. No, say it is the best movie ever is ignorance and find that the cinema was born in the 90s.

May 19 - 12:50 PM

Tom S.

Tom Smith

Best ever? Nope. Most people who rave about this movie that fail to realize the reason why they rave about it. Because our culture INSTRUCTS us to. You read the endless high-quality reviews of random people, imbuing your first experience with "a layer of frosting". There were many gaping plot holes in this movie (which critics usually attack other movies for, but not this one) Slow moments. The greatest movie of all time cannot be about criminals being criminals, which was essentially what this movie is about. What is so admirable about mobsters? They aren't tough, but cowards who rely on cheap, dirty tricks. They are complete, utter pussies and specks of dirt compared to war heros or martial artists. I admit, I found this movie good, but it's overrated to the point of insanity. More overrated than Avatar, Titanic, and King's Speech combined.

Dec 19 - 03:17 AM

Ezra Hsieh

Ezra Hsieh

This movie doesn't glorify the mobsters, but they certainly aren't cowards. So, by your logic, the greatest films ever made must have to be based on war heroes or martial artists. Yes, the mob are dirt, but this is a great movie, and not "overrated".

Dec 20 - 09:40 AM

Zane B

Chum Chum

Edgy bro!

Feb 14 - 11:34 AM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

Oh look, another pants-on-head retarded moron who thinks that we label this as the best movie ever just cause our culture tells us to. How cute.

Aug 7 - 12:41 PM

Colter L.

Colter Lenz

I think it's the best. But I think it should be tied with Kane.

I don't like admitting to being my favorite film because thinks it's the best

I just don't like it because everyone else does

Dec 13 - 01:20 PM

Ajay Shetty

Ajay Shetty

It has to be the best movie

Dec 11 - 02:10 AM

Matthieu Heurtevent

Matthieu Heurtevent

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is my personal favorite.

Dec 7 - 06:14 PM

Tom S.

Tom Smith

A thrilling, highly creative, romantic, emotional movie with unparalleled choreography and innovative wirework, beautiful set locations, a moving soundtrack. A unique blend of genres. A very, very, very well-rounded film, which makes it very compelling. Which leads me to my point, on the unfortunate flaws of older films, which considered classics. They contain elements of greatness, I acknowledge, but overall, they are rather fragmented and bland, at moments, bound by the limitations of the earlier days of filmmaking. Many of my personal favorite films are old classics, however, they lack the ripeness and fullness of modern day films.

Dec 19 - 03:42 AM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile