—— As Above/So Below Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Godzilla Reviews

KJ P

January 18, 2010
Humanity is thrown out the window, real laughs are impossible to find and this film is too bad to have fun laughing at it's sheer dumbness. I felt insulted by this film, because Emmerich has a little more talent than this and this film focusses on too much dumb humour when it's supposed to be thrilling. The cast in this film is fine, but the way they react to everything is hilariously bad, the direction is sloppy, the camerawork is unfocussed, and the script is honestly one of the worst I've seen in a long time. This remake of "Godzilla" did not need to happen and it should never have happened. Sure the technicalities of the film show in certain moments, and for it's time I'm sure it pleased a lot of people, but to me, it's complete Hollywood trash at it's finest. It doesn't even work as a guilty pleasure. I'm fine with other people liking this film, but it's one of the worst I've ever seen!
Edward B

July 9, 2007
In one scene, Matthew Broderick buys pregnancy tests from the local store and uses them to find out Godzilla is...pregnant. He deduces it's because Godzilla is asexual, to which his girlfriend replies, "where's the fun in that." This is an example of how remarkably lame and poorly constructed this film is. Dismissing the fact the monster keeps changing size as well as stupid Mayor Ebert and his sidekick Gene (way to bash the critics Roland Emmerich), Godzilla is a lame studio attempt to cash in on the Jurassic Park craze by using an established brand. But like Xander Harris said, Matthew Broderick killed a big, dumb lizard that was NOT Godzilla.
Apeneck F

July 7, 2007
Shlock artiste Emmerich regurgitates his "blockbuster" formula and directs a bigger, leaner, CGI generated, fire breathing lizard from traditional home stomping ground Japan to New York City where we discover ... but that would be telling. Jean Reno is the most fun as the Frenchman in the Big Apple.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 4, 2007
Godzilla is an average horror, action movie and although i found it very entertaining just as a light hearted not to serious movie, it is just an average movie and nothing special about it.
It is action packed and enjoyable movie to watch on a rainiy day but thats about it!
Phil H

May 28, 2008
Hmmm very dodgy US update of the classic Tokyo destroying lizard. Its a rip of so many ideas, and the little baby zillas make it even worse, almost 'Jurassic Park-ish' crossed with 'Aliens'. The look is good, the effects being quite decent for the time, its all cgi of course but because its dark allot it does look quite atmospheric.

The best part of the film easily is the choppers attacking zilla and being chomped down one at a time. The cast is pretty lame though, Broderick isn't fit to be in anything frankly and Azaria should stick to TV comedies, Reno is the best actor on show here. Basically the film looks good and thats it, the rest is a bit embarassing really.

Love how the old Japanese man on the dock at the start see's something happening in the sea before him and cries 'Godzilla!' even before he's seen anything haha why would it have a name in the first place? insane! lol!
AJ V

September 6, 2010
A very American, and modernized retelling/remake of Godzilla. Although it's yet another film in the Godzilla series, which has way too many versions as it is, the cast makes it worth watching, they're really good. I really liked this movie.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

November 16, 2011
The only film Roland Emerrich had directed that I enjoyed up until now was The Day after Tommorow. Which wasn't that great anyway. Godzilla is far from perfect but better than DAT. The typical aggresiveness of CGI in most of his movies like Independence Day and 10000 BC are so mind blowing that it causes the films to fall to ruins. The films didn't have to be that aggressive because of their plotline's that could have turned them into modern epic's. With his remake of Godzilla, like the original japanese film, the effects and characters are necessary to the storyline. You do however have to be in a dumb mood to enjoy it. I was.
Christopher H

June 13, 2011
When I was a kid, I loved the Godzilla movies. There is something about watching model cities getting destroyed that is so awesome. I also loved watching Godzilla movies for the cool looking monsters and the classic monster rumbles. So when I heard that an American adaptation was being made, I was really excited. It would have been cool to see Godzilla properly updated and introduced to American audiences. Unfortunately, what we got was a film that owed more to "Jurassic Park" or "The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms" than "Godzilla". Not only is the monster a crappy looking CGI oven-roasted T-rex , it does not even posses Godzilla's basic traits. The monster doesn't have radioactive breath or indestructible. The monster gets killed by the military, something that never happens to Godzilla. Most of the time the monster is getting chased by the military which is an insult to Godzilla's character. Another flaw with the film is it spends way too much time with the human characters, who are cliche and shallow. This movie is just a boring and cliche disaster/monster movie that was given the name Godzilla for market value. How can anybody mess up Godzilla?
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

April 21, 2011
I hated this monster movie. First of all the effects were not good, it sucked. Godzilla looked like a T Rex, not a dragon. So many cliche and stupid moments in the plot that it sucked too much. This movie had many flaws, and they all keep it from being good, overall the movie sucked beyond all belief.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 6, 2011
Godzilla is the type of film that you watch when you're 12 and you think it's the best film ever. But once you hit your mid twenties, you realize that whatever you thought was great in films when you were 12, is actually crap. I have never seen an original Godzilla film; but I have to say that this film is a disgrace to the original Japanese films. I have seen snippets of the original films, but nothing more. Roland Emmerich crafts a film that is based more on the special effects than on plot or character development. Not to mention that this Godzilla is much smaller than the original. Looking back now that I'm in my twenties, I have to say that this film sucks. I think this is Emmerich's worst film along with 10,000 B.C. The film lacks anything to make it appealing. Luckily I grew wiser and discovered what truly makes a good film. Godzilla is not one of those films. A pointless action film with terrible acting, Roland Emmerich's film is simply a big disappointment, and is a film that has definitely not stood out the test of time. One of the worst remakes too. The film relies more on its special effects than on story. The end result is a film that's struggling to be entertaining without offering anything really that interesting on screen. A stupid and awful remake.
Conner R

November 27, 2009
Call me crazy, but I actually like this. Granted, i've always been a Godzilla fan and seeing this at age nine was like heaven on earth. When I look back on this I can say that it was well made, has some great special effects and the characters are fun. Now it's not a wonderfully constructed story and it basically revolves around showcasing Godzilla destruction, but honestly I don't really care. The movie works for what it is: a big budget monster movie. While it basically changes everything about Godzilla's origins and everything about the character basically, we do get to see him destroying Manhattan and that's good enough for me. For what it's worth, Matthew Broderick does a good job here and so does the always awesome Jean Reno. Roland Emmerich succeeded in making an incredibly larger than life disaster movie that at times appears extremely surreal, other times goofy, but always entertaining.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 17, 2007
Yes, it's a B-movie. And yes, the writing could be better. But like most other Roland Emmerich flicks, it's got enough entertainment value to go around. I can't quite explain it, but I've always had a thing for stories that features giant monsters on a path of mayhem and destruction. Leastways as long as the special effects are good, which is definitely the case here. I can understand why some may dislike this film, or even hate it, but in my eyes, this is an enjoyable guilty pleasure. Kind of comical though that they hired Matthew Broderick to play the main role. Not that he's a bad actor, but he just looks a bit misplaced here - like a pacifist at an NRA meeting or a teletubby at a rock concert. Well, you get the point.
Lucas M

June 14, 2011
Roland Emmerich's Godzilla, promise a great entertaining time that brings amazing special effects, thing that changes when we see the disappointing script and weak direction. Cliche, Godzilla, show be a bad disaster film trying looks Jurassic Park. Rotten.
Marc L.
Marc L.

May 9, 2011
Was it as bad as everyone says it is? No. Was it good? No. That being said, this is really an average movie at best, and a below average movie at worst. Typical Rolan Emmerich style of a crapload of special affects and battle scenes that are Oscar worthy, but not much else.

To start off, I disagree with most Godzilla fans about the monster. It wasn't what I expected, but it was pretty cool. Emmerich must have done a lot of work on this thing.

Also, the chase scenes were pretty nice too. They were even better than the ones from the 2005 King Kong movie. There were also some pretty creative ways that the director used to help the heroes escape. The plot was pretty nice too.

However, there was slightly more bad than good. Most of the acting was downright terrible. I particullary disliked Matthew Broderick's preformance as Dr Niko. It was emotionless and underdone. But the good news was, it was better than most Broderick preformances.

The good news for Broderick was that he was not the only one with a bad preformance. Maria Pittilo was pretty bad too, the overacting to Broderick's underacting. Heck, you might say every actor was bad.

The intorduction to the baby Godzilla's was ridiculous and uncalled for. The baby godzilla scene was basically a badly redone Jurassic Park Velociraptor scene. They looked like deformed reject giant birds more than terrifying monsters. When Broderick is the cause of your demise, you know you're lame monsters.

The ending was horrible. When Godzilla finally dies, there is this moment where we are suppoused to feel sorry for it. It is kind of emotional, at least until the crowd starts cheering and it ends of on a completly different note.

Overrall, bad movie. Not horrible, but bad.
stevenecarrier
stevenecarrier

October 12, 2010
Roland Emmerich's "Godzilla" is just a lot of stupid fun. What makes a film this stupid so enjoyable is that it's constructed like a theme park ride. It's got flashy special effects (for the 90s that is), big name stars acting like fools, a plot you don't have to think about, and plenty of giddy thrills. Like all of Emmerich's disaster pictures, "Godzilla" is mindless, silly, silly fun.
Richard C

July 23, 2010
C
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

April 22, 2007
Another terrible flick with a good soundtrack.
Anthony L

September 24, 2009
A big green Bogey that totally misses the point of the original classic Japanese versions.
TomBowler
TomBowler

August 2, 2009
one of the most well-known monster films, godzilla is a very interesting look at the humanity of flesh eating monsters, as they're just trying to survive, after all.