67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Godzilla vs. Mothra Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

March 16, 2013
Godzilla vs. Mothra again delivers effective thrills for genre fans and has a pretty good plot. I really liked this entry because it put the two monsters from one of my Favorite entries the franchise again in a new entry that nonetheless delivers what you want in an effective monster film. The plot is good. However the effects kind of lack and look a bit cheesy and obviously fake. The film works well and is fun despite its flaws, it's a must see for fans of the series. The film is entertaining, and has some memorable moments. Although nothing new is going on here, and even though it lacks in originality, fans will surely enjoy the traditional elements going on. The film is entertaining from start to finish and boasts all the elements which make for a good Godzilla film. Genre fans will surely enjoy it, and if you've enjoyed the previous outings in the revamped franchise, then you're sure to be entertained by this entry. Monster films tend to be basic and they always are entertaining despite its imperfections, diehard fans will enjoy it, and with so-so effect, they will most likely appreciate the camp value of the picture. The picture has a few parts were it could have been better, but as a whole it is a fine little monster movie that retains all the ingredients of what makes an effective film. The film is thrilling and is a must for genre fans.
Christopher H

November 23, 2011
The special effects are far from the quality of the previous entry (with some model sets looking like something from a 'Thunderbirds' episode) but the fun factor is turned up high. Battra is a very interesting creation and the way his motivations clash with Mothra's adds rare dimension to the monster action. The tone is much more playful and light than in 'Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah' but this is un-avoidable considering this is a movie involving a giant fluffy moth. The human melodrama is also surprisingly engaging and has a lot of nice comedic moments that never feel overly cheesy. Overall, a great entry in the franchise.
Luke B

April 12, 2011
The 90's series makes way for Mothra. This time she's from the cosmos, as are her mini-twin lady friends. We're also introduced to Battra. One of the best things about this film is way each monster teeters between hero and villain. Each has a mission of their own, but they aren't exactly evil. It makes for much more interesting fights, and even a little depth to monster smash ups. The film begins as a strange Indiana Jones adventure film. Crumbling temples, rickety bridges etc. It adds for a little bit of unexpected fun before entering the world we are familiar with. Almost like if a Bond film started with a monster attack. Sure it's cheap and unoriginal, but for a film that has some boxes to tick, it's nice to have some variety. There is a heavy feminine touch to this movie. Toho trying to bring in the ladies to push up the box office receipts. The monsters have a lot more love and care, and we see a broken family at the heart of all this. This film really made me sit up during the destruction scenes. In broad daylight, it still looked real. The filmmakers now confident to compose images of monsters in the background and people in the foreground. It allows for some tremendous shots of absolute chaos, and stops the streets from seeming too empty.
Bryan D

October 25, 2012
Godzilla vs the moth, a remake. There is another antagonist introduced in this film that is more interesting, Batra. Sadly Batra isn't used as much as he should have been, and the end result is another mediocre "human element" film with a few minutes of uninteresting Kaiju battles.
Steven V

December 27, 2007
It was cool because it reintroduced Mothra and gave birth to Battra. The epic battles between good and evil resulting in a two against one match is good.
Anthony V

March 18, 2008
The 90's remake of Godzilla versus Mothra is exciting and fun.
iLeo
iLeo

June 1, 2008
A favorite! Classic!
Christopher B

January 17, 2008
Awesome Godzilla movie that is quite beautiful too.
April 16, 2012
Pretty boring, really. The human subplot was among the least interesting I've seen in Godzilla films with the possible exception of "Godzilla's Revenge."
November 22, 2011
Godzilla continues to get his ass kick by the giant butterfly hasn't won a battle yet, come on man! Well at least he killed the big Moth (Battara).
January 26, 2011
One of the worst and dumbest Godzilla films ever made this films story was stupid along with the acting all the sudden there a stupid moth floating around! with these strange little people what is this a joke thats what it seemed to me one big giant floating joke!
November 23, 2007
Its tough to call a film with feminist and environmentalist themes "boring as hell" but really, it is.
MovieGuruDude72
July 6, 2007
These movies are worth watching if you need a good laugh or are severely inebriated. Whichever comes first.
July 15, 2007
It was cool because it reintroduced Mothra and gave birth to Battra, one of the wickedest-looking creatures Godzilla ever faced.
mave06
April 8, 2007
This is a great Godzilla movie, but for me, I'm not a huge Mothra fan. Mothra just gets used way too much in the Godzilla universe, where as guys like Anguirus and Rodan haven't got the same respect recently.

Anyways, this movie introduced Battra, who spiced it up a bit and made it more interesting to me. In the end, Mothra and Battra team up in the realization that they have to stop Godzilla, and even though I hate to see the big guy lose, it's a cool ending.
July 28, 2014
I don't remember liking this one for some reason. It's aged rather nicely and I like it, now.
ianhwrd3
July 18, 2014
In the 4th installment in the second Godzilla movie series, Godzilla is up against one of greatest foes- Mothra. While this is going on, the earth is in utter chaos and is being destroyed by mankind and a new monster is awakened, named Battra. This entry is a descent and entertaining flick that has great monster action and an interesting story. It also has a good message in the end and is fairly executed. Unfortunately, the movie has flaws. The first thing is that some of the special effects that are bad or lazily done. Mothra is a little to puffy and looks worse than in the original movie and in some of the action scenes you can see the strings that are holding the monsters. The second flaw is that the two main human characters are horrible. They act like teenagers and are so immature that is like watching a bad love drama.

Final Verdict- Although it has flaws with it's special effects and characters, the movie is still entertaining to watch and is a descent Godzilla movie. If your a Godzilla fan, than you'll like the movie. If your just an average movie goer and want to watch something entertaining, than you'll might be entertained. I give it 3 stars out 5.
July 16, 2014
A good Godzilla film and a great way to re-introduce Mothra. The final battle is awesome!
June 10, 2014
To increase box office appeal Toho reintroduced their second most popular character, Mothra. The result was the most successful Godzilla movie, Godzilla vs. Mothra. Kind of a remake of Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964) this one has several faults. The whole environmental message is overused and not done very well. One the effects side Koichi Kawakita has gotten lazy with the stiff Mothra and Battra props. I'll mention the music score since I haven't done so yet. Done by veteran composer Akira Ifukube, it fantastic as always. In the end it's not one of the best but worth checking out.
May 14, 2014
Its a bit too similar to the movie its remaking but with better set design and better effects (though still way behind modern American standards) and a fun monster flick bringing back a monster who has become a favorite in the series even if its environmentalist themes are also overplayed