64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Godzilla's Revenge Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

March 15, 2013
Using stock footage, Godzilla's Revenge is one of the least inspired movies in the Godzilla series. This was an awful train wreck of a movie that was simply made to make money off its fans, and robbed them of a new idea for a monster film. The result is awful, unwarranted trash that just fails to entertain due to the fact that it is something that we've already seen. If you've seen the previous entries, then you're not missing out. The lack of original material is apparent and there is nothing interesting going on. The film just lacks because at this point of the series, it is clear that the filmmakers were scrambling with coming up with new ideas, and in turn they failed to create something refreshing, something we haven't seen in the series. This is the first big disappointment in the series and with the use of stock footage from previous Godzilla pictures, it just ends up feeling dull and pointless. The appeal of Godzilla films lies in the legendary monster battling it out with other monsters. However there is nothing here to appeal to fans. Disappointing movie that lacks in terms of originality and one that is a total waste of time. This is a shame because they really could have come up with something better than recycling old footage. The use of previous footage was used to keep production costs at a minimum and it shows. Godzilla is an icon of cinema, and it's a shame the filmmakers couldn't give this entry any thought. Predictable, overdone and dull, Godzilla's Revenge simply is an entry that doesn't do the series justice. If you've loved the other films before this one, then skip this one, you're not watching any new here.
Luke B

October 13, 2010
A disgrace to the franchise. Sure it's meant for kids, but I just can't fathom how awful it is. First of all, it's not a Godzilla movie. Not really, as all the Godzilla sections take place in the dreams of a young boy. The real story is about a bullied boy and his coincidental run in with some bank robbers. He learns some valuable life lessons from Godzilla's son on Monster Island every time he sleeps. In the boy's dreams, Minilla is able to talk and change size. A number of fights are stock footage reused from previous films. An obvious budget cut after the expensive Destroy All Monsters. The film goes on and it's kind of fun in a way, but in the end, after the boy has learned a valuable lesson, the final scene has him doing what the bullies dared him to do in the beginning. This ends in a prank that was dangerous and disrespectful. As he runs away the boy sees his (mostly absent) father, whom agrees to stall the man now chasing him. What kind of a message is this? Fuck you, you little shit! Thinking your the cats balls because you went up against some criminals. I hope the real Godzilla stamps on your head.
Juan C

October 21, 2012
Okay, this one was just awful, not only to a godzilla fan, but as a film in general, its just godawful trash. Its just shameless use of stock footage. The plot is absurd, in a bad way, the character is an annoying brat wanting to see godzilla but hangs with his son minilla, who can talk, yeah, once i said that a monster can talk, it just sound stupid, it is, but you have to experience on how stupid it really is. Its just shamelessly dull, confussing, annoying and is simply the worst film in the godzilla series. godzilla's revenge, the revenge happened when godzilla saw this piece of trash. F
DrLappos
DrLappos

April 4, 2009
I loved these films until the little Godzuki appeared...Hted it and couldnt stand the daft squeeking noise it made.....still he always beats the baddies and upsets the Japanese...lol.
Patrick D

March 23, 2008
This movie should really have two ratings. One for entertainment value and one for artistic merit. In the later category it would be one star. This film really is completely stupid, they try to make Godzilla kid friendly by introducing Godzilla son, who has a dopey voice and looks like Gary Coleman, really eerie. Also the only times Godzilla and his son appear is when the kid goes to Monster Island...in his dreams. What? Kidifying Godzilla seems like an idea on par with George Lucas' introduction of JarJar Binks. Accept for in this case Mini-zilla ends up making this film a hilarious Godzilla curio, and JarJar makes the film are horrifying piece of *insert something offensive*. So on to entertainment: I definitely thought this was hilarious and beyond ridiculous, yet it would have been probably alot more enjoyable on some drugs.
If you are a Godzilla purist, avoid this, you'll cry, but if you have an hour: ten to burn, get this sucker, but by all means, DO NOT pay over 5 dollars for this.
FanBoyCritic
April 12, 2014
Godzilla's Revenge (1971)
Starring: Eisei Amamoto, Machiko Naka, Haruo Nakajima, Tomonori Yazaki, and Kazuo Suzki
Directed By: Ishiro Honda and Kevin Reynolds
It looks like Godzilla is raising an army of monster maniacs, oh no wait there not giant monsters it's just a little kid who's a maniac. That's disappointing given the title, I mean Godzilla's Revenge, who'd he get revenge on that's the question you'll be asking yourself by the end of the picture. This was the begging of Godzilla films being for children, and Godzilla being just a regular hero instead of an anti-hero which defeats the purpose of why Godzilla fans watch Godzilla movies.
In the movie we see a boy who is a Godzilla fan, he gets picked on by a group of kid's and dreams he's on Monster Island with Godzilla and his son. His parents are always working late, so they barely spend time with him. There's also two bank robbers in the movie, who have stolen a lot of cash. They stay in the abandoned warehouse, were all the kids usually see each other when walking home (yeesh , no one gets dropped off, that's pretty unusual.) The kid falls asleep, and is dreaming that a plane takes him to Monster Island. When he arrives he spots all the monsters, and watches as Godzilla beats up giant Mantises. The boy then finds the son of Godzilla and he quotes "Godzilla say's I should to fight my own battles." There is a new monster in this film who they call Gabera which looks pretty stupid. The boy and the son of Godzilla watches as Godzilla battles some sort of sea creature and Kumonga: the giant spider. The boy goes into the warehouse(even though he's told not too earlier in the film) and picks up one of the bank robbers driver's license. The two bank robbers kidnap the boy and try to use him as a means of escape (even though they could off just as easily kidnap, the boy take the driver's license and left him in the warehouse.) The dream he has with the son of Godzilla fighting Gabera in turn helps him to fight back.
You shouldn't naturally care what's going on half the time because, a movie needs characters with conflict and emotional depth. This movie has a little cardboard cutout boy who is just teased for the sake of the plot, and he's a Godzilla fan just for the sake of the plot I mean if I just put this movie in your DVD or BLURAY player and told you this was a Godzilla film you would think I'm lying. Godzilla and his son are only in the film for market value cause in that time in Japan Godzilla made the company lots of money. You would be so bored that you'll be checking your watch and thinking to yourself that this movie feels like three hours, when it's only one hour and ten minutes. There were even more interesting things being said in the film like about the two bank robbers who stole a lot of money, but they weren't shown stealing anything. If they could have shown us that and maybe cops trying to find the boy while Godzilla's fighting Gabera with his son in the city that could have at least been fun.
With this Godzilla film Ishiro Honda wanted to make a film for children, but there was no way he could have succeeded with that idea because Godzilla as presented in a few movies is a force of nature or an anti-hero. This movie doesn't completely rape the Godzilla name but it is still not worth any Godzilla fans time. It is one of the worst movie/monster movies a person could ever subject themselves too. I give Godzilla's Revenge a one out of five.
January 26, 2011
This movie was so funny I laughed from start to finish it was so stupid I couldnt stop this movie was the worst Godzilla film of all time just one big fat disgrace!
BigBabyJesus
April 14, 2008
AUGH! Even granting that Godzilla movies are "bad" due to the nature of them, this is an execrable excuse of a movie. Pandering to the kiddies is one thing, this is another...ugh! To be avoided at ALL COSTS! RUN!!!
November 23, 2007
Although the film seems to be hated by a large number of fans, it does the job of being entertaining (even if 80% of the fights are stock footage).
July 28, 2014
Not as bad as I remember it a few years ago. However, it's still not good...
July 23, 2014
Ugh.

That's kind of all I got.
July 16, 2014
This is the only Japanese Godzilla film I don't like. I like cheesy Godzilla movies, but this one just goes over bored. Not to mention, way too much stock footage!
June 28, 2014
A complete disgrace. Not just the worst of the Godzilla movies, but one of the worst movies ever made.
June 20, 2014
The film has a PhD in Stupid!
Deathrock9
June 10, 2014
As I own this film on the Godzilla Collection, I had to watch it to finish off the boxset, and so like usual, watched the Japanese Film. Before watching it, I was aware of it being hated by many of the fans and the reasons why, but to be honest, as bad as it is, I still enjoyed parts of this film. Yeah it reuses entire scenes from the previous, has bland characters and MINILLA TALKS (though doesn't sound too bad in Japanese), there are some entertaining scenes and I particularly enjoyed the scenes with the Kidnappers which are pretty funny. It's a pretty terrible film and though it's fun to see Minilla have the crap beaten out of him, it's enjoyable for the fight scenes in case you have not seen films like "Ebirah, Horror from the Deep" and "King Kong vs Godzilla" as the fight scenes from that film are used.
June 10, 2014

It's a pretty terrible film and though it's fun to see Minilla have the crap beaten out of him, it's enjoyable for the fight scenes in case you have not seen films like "Ebirah, Horror from the Deep" and "King Kong vs Godzilla" as the fight scenes from that film are used. (And they are edited in pretty good too, the Night Time battle in Ebirah has been edited to look like day time in this one.)
Maineutral R.
April 1, 2014
The absolute worst of Godzilla. This film is nothing but an overuse of stock footage from previous Godzilla films and a shitty storyline as a dreadful excuse for a children's film. Let's get this straight: this film will amuse kids, but there's no more public after that, purely on kids, and even better for mentally retarded ones.

The film literally extracts the fight scenes from Son of Godzilla and Godzilla vs the Sea Monster and uses it to fill 60& of the runtime (and it's only an hour and 9 minutes long overall), and the other 40% is a crappy storyline involving a kid called Ichiro. The use of stock footage makes the film to have an inconsistent visual threat, as Godzilla looks different in the two movies where the stock footage comes from, and looks different in the few new footage actually filmed for this shit. The new monster looks like shit and it's crap. From a movie that had a subtle postwar message, Godzilla's Revenge was spawn. The title itself doesn't make any sense, Godzilla doesn't avenge anything. THIS is the lowest point in the Godzilla franchise. To be fair, the stock-footage sequences are entertaining, and even the fight of Godzilla against the new monster (the ONLY new footage of Godzilla in this film) is kinda amusing, but at the end, it doesn't worth and doesn't leave an impression or emotion of any kind, except annoyance.

Even the little kid's story is shit. The message I got out of it is that violence makes a better life. But the real lesson is: AVOID GODZILLA'S REVENGE! It's the rock-bottom of the kaiju film industry and a total waste of time. I never thought I would say this, but I'll rather do my Math class homework. I'll rather do that.
April 22, 2014
"Godzilla's Revenge" is little more than a glorified clip show, and not a particularly good one either but at least it comes and goes quickly and has a lot of charm in its own way. The story follows Ichiro (Tomonori Yazaki), a highly imaginative but lonely child who loves Godzilla and all giant monsters. Every day after school Ichiro is tormented by a gang of bullies, particularly their leader nicknamed "Gabara". When at home alone, Ichiro sleeps and dreams of travelling to "Monster Island" where he meets Godzilla's son Minilla (who can shrink down to human size and speak English) and learn about courage and standing up to bullies, including Minilla's own nemesis, the villainous Oni Gabara. When Ichiro gets tangled up with two bank robbers hiding out in an abandoned factory, he puts the lessons he has learned to practice.

The movie is 69 minutes long and a significant portion of the film is made of clips from the only three other Godzilla movies at least partially set on an island: "Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster", "Son of Godzilla" and "Destroy All Monsters". With the added characters of Minilla and the original character of Gabara (who has yet to reappear in any Godzilla media, including the video games) the monster count here is high, but if you're a Godzilla aficionado, you've seen it before. Godzilla battles Ebirah, Ookonduru (or as I like to call him, the Giant Claw), Kamacuras, Kumonga/Spiga, Gabara and some jets. We also get a short appearance by Gorosaurus (incorrectly pronounced "Grosaurus"), Anguirus and Manda. There is some original footage with the giant praying mantis monsters Kamacuras, but the bulk of the new footage is either with the little kid, Minilla or Gabara, so how do those fair? Well, Gabara is a fun monster, just a big bully with a cackling laugh and electrical powers that likes to beat up on monsters smaller than he is. Actually it seems all monsters do is fight in this movie. One second Godzilla is roasting one opponent to a crisp, the next he's fighting a new foe. When it comes to Minilla, his English dub is goofy and a little annoying but he and Ichiro seem to be having fun so it's not too bad. It honestly feels really difficult rating this movie as an adult because this is not meant for adults at all. It's made for little kids that would get bored with a plot featuring scientists and reporters talking about stuff so it's just a simple plot about a lonely kid that wishes he could be with his parents and have more friends, some monsters beating each other up and two friends learning how to stand up to some bullies. As a parent, the movie only lasts a bit longer than an hour and if you're a fan of Godzilla, it's kind of fun to watch with younger fans because like I said, it doesn't last long and it's never boring. Having just sat through both "Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster" and "Son of Godzilla", I actually kind of like this one better, because the boring human plot is completely trimmed out, while the monster fights are mostly intact. The film also features an awesome saxophone theme for Godzilla, which is very nice. Seriously, look it up, it's a great tune.

I'm going to give the movie a rating that's higher than it deserves for the same reason you would give a half-decent sequel to "Species" a good rating. This film is only going to attract a certain audience, and is only meant for that certain audience. Yes I'm giving it a 3/5 and no, you snooty critics and arthouse comedy fans will not agree with me, but if I turned the tables around and give an 8-year-old a Blu-ray of "Citizen Kane", they'd be bored out of their skulls so it makes sense to grade on a curve in this case. Even if you're an adult, it's not terrible and even kind of fun at times, but there's not really any reason to watch this one unless there's a kid in the room with you, or the kid inside you is about as big as Godzilla himself. (English Dub on Dvd, April 18, 2014)
August 30, 2013
Great movie for children. Tones down monster battles, similar to 1980's pro wrestling. Ichiro learns a valuable life lesson from Minya, the Son of Godzilla. My 4 year old daughter can watch this movie non stop. Good old fashion fun!
April 12, 2014