Going My Way Reviews

cosmo313
January 7, 2012
Alright, so yeah, this film is very old fashioned, schmaltzy, sentimental, and even a tad corny perhaps, but you know what? I don't care. It's entertaining, well meaning, pretty good, and really hard not to like. We need stuff like this once in a while.

The story concerns a young and easy going priest named Chuck O'Malley who is assigned to St. Dominic's: a church on the brink of going under. He doesn't get along with the head priest Father Fitzgibbon, but when the effects of O'Malley's attempts to bring the community together are felt, things do begin to change for the better.

This is a nice little film, and it did spawn a sequel: The Bells of St. Mary's. That one's a lot like this one, with a similar plot and premise, but it is here where Crosby originated the character, and won an Oscar for his efforts. He really does put in some nice work, and he, like the character, is just really hard to dislike. He's just so damn charming and irresistable I can't stand it.

Barry Fitzgerald is also quite good as Fitzgibbon. and Rise Stevens and Frank McHugh are decent as childhood friends of O'Malley's.

All in all, this may be a pretty light and predictable film, but it's a harmless film with a lot of heart and a good message. It also looks good, and the singing is top notch too. Give this one a go. It may not be worthy of all of the Oscars it won, but it's hardly a forgettable piece of dreck.
hunterjt13
October 29, 2011
An unconventional priest works to reform a failing parish.
I'm a big fan of Bing Crosby's voice; so easy and melodic, he makes it seem as though anyone can sing like him, which of course no one can. But this isn't a musical. It isn't a drama or comedy either. If anything, it's two hours of the most saccharine nonsense I've seen. At the heart of this diabetic's nightmare is Crosby's character, Father O'Malley, who is flawless. His character is never put up for question, and his methods, ideals, mannerisms, or personality remain thoroughly unchallenged by other characters, the film's circumstances, or any subjectivity. He is just there in an untarnished and idolized unreality. The film's problems, such as they are, seem no match for O'Malley, and we see him easily navigate the church's financial troubles, a woman who's run away from home, and an old flame who serendipitously re-enters his life. And when the film ends on another sweet note, I felt like I had just seen a slice of life that was so watered down with religious idealism that it bore no resemblance to anything I've seen living.
Overall, there's nothing memorable about Going My Way except for the few moments when we get to hear Crosby sing, but for that you can buy the soundtrack and save yourself two hours.
½ September 5, 2010
Crosby plays a young cool priest who helps out the community and the parish. A really nice movie, I couldn't help but like it.
jjnxn
September 22, 2007
Charming film, a bit hokey but Bing carries it along on his charisma.
June 5, 2006
"Swinging on a Star", and many other songs sung by Father Bing Crosby the King of American crooners, great songs, great acting and all round great film. Academy Award winning film for Best Picture.
September 9, 2013
Sentimental but a bit dull. This is the film to see with the kids at Christmas if you don't want them exposed to the least bit of stress. Crosby is not offensive but you wish he could be ever so slightly.
March 29, 2013
Made with good intentions and featuring honest performances from Bing Crosby and Barry Fitzgerald, "Going My Way" is sadly just too maudlin and much too long to be considered a good film. If anything, it's worth watching because of its place in film history as a Best Picture winner, its amiable characters and because of Bing Crosby's chart topper, "Swinging on a Star," but other than that, it's poorly-paced, overlong by a good half hour and just way too nice.
Lord Naseby
½ April 26, 2010
This movie can be described in one word: pleasant. it is a very nice and serene film. not much in it that shocks you or makes you think. it just is what it is. and to me, that doesn't make it remotely Best Picture worthy. I did like Bing Crosby's performance and the other priest too (I can't remember his name for the life of me). did very well too. I did despise the fact that Bing Crosby's character had to break into song every minute and a half. That annoyed the heck out of me. one thing that I am perplexed by is how the other priest was nominated for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor for the same performance. How do you swing that? Make up your mind people! it would have been weirder if he had won both of them. My favorite part of the movie is when Father Fitzgibbon looks over and sees his 90 year old mother that Father O Malley has brought over form Ireland and just the emotions of that scene. It was really well done. Final Verdict: its slow pace and lack of any real depth combined with the fact that Bing Crosby had to sing every 2 minutes made this a film hardly worthy of the academy's top prize. The strong performances and the emotional final scene do little to save it. It was a mistake. The replacement winner: Gaslight.
½ November 18, 2013
Bing Crosby stars as an unconventional priest sent to a failing parish in order to turn it around. It's a 2-hour schmaltz-fest directed by Leo McCarey, but I think it had it's moments...and I've never been one to discount the value of a little schmaltz. Crosby is fine in the role, but it is really amazing to me that this won Best Picture, Best Director, AND Best Actor. I mean it's decent, but it isn't really THAT good. It's classic Hollywood though, and for that I'd recommend it.
November 30, 2011
A charming, old-Hollywood film. I didn't think there was anything so remarkable about it, but they don't really make them like this anymore.
October 16, 2011
Such a heart-warming little story - and a wonderful message that happiness and joy can indeed be found in your faith. The songs are lovely and Bing Crosby's character is very sweet and caring. I actually teared up in the end! A warm watch, one for which I enjoy movies for.
½ December 1, 2009
Going My Way is a musical starring Bing Crosby. In the film, he plays a priest who comes to work at a church where the current priest has been there for 45 years. The church is in financial trouble and the bishop hopes a young priest like Crosby might be able to fix it.

Overall, I didn't like this for several reasons. First, it was a musical and I've never seen a musical I liked. Second, the characters and plot didn't really interest me. At least musicals like Singin' in the Rain had good plots and turn into great films if you alter them slightly and remove the musical numbers (see Sunset Boulevard which is almost a music-free version of Singin' in the Rain). This wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but I certainly don't ever plan on watching it again. It won Best Picture and a bunch of other Oscars which I don't agree with given that the vastly superior Double Indemnity was released the same year.

71/100
C-
½ August 24, 2009
So sentimental, so crappy, so cheesy. It cannot be enjoyed on any level. How this won all those Oscars is beyond me!
½ March 29, 2009
Bing Crosby is always a pleasure to see and hear on screen. this film, however, struck me as perhaps a bit too campy and formulaic, although it had some great moments of comedy and surprises--the ending is especially touching. Rise Stevens singing Carmen and Ave Maria was another great highlight. an undoubtedly entertaining film despite its shortcomings, and a multiple Oscar-winner I'm sorry to say would likely not even get nominated by today's standards.
½ June 29, 2007
I watch this every year around Christmas time. Great songs and sweet story. Barry Fitzgerald is fabulous.
November 20, 2006
It's got all the schmultz and charm you'd expect from a film starring Bing Crosby and he carries the film nicely.

I've never seen the sequel, 'The Bells of St. Marys' but something tells me there's a reason the sequel has stood the test of time better than the original. This has its moments, and you've gotta love Bing, but I can't help but think it's too dated to hold much relevance anymore. It makes a nice addition to a DVD collection as a Best Picture winner and the prequel to 'The Bells of St. Marys' and perfect filler if you're having a Bing Crosby party.
½ October 19, 2006
Don't have to be a Bing Crosby fan but you will love this old B&W movie about Father O'Malley singing his way to heaven & its sequel The Bells of Saint Mary's.
September 23, 2006
The only reason I watched this movie was because it had Barry Fitzgerald in it, he always plays a great role,I don't however like Bing.
May 15, 2015
A criminally overlooked classic staring Bing Crosby at his very best.
½ July 11, 2014
This is a very Irish film, which wouldn't be worth mentioning if you could never say that about any modern American film. I was not to familiar with Bing Crosby as a singer (or actor) before this film. He has a great smooth crooner tone in his songs that carry over to every line he speaks, a trait that for example Frank Sinatra doesn't have. Just the sound of his voice is effortlessly calming. This is very much a musical but one where the song are worked in to realistic times they would be sung. There are some recognizable songs if you have some knowledge of music (Ave Maria and Habanera from the opera Carmen). Many other songs then went on to become hits at the time but none that i cared for, even the title song. Jean Heather who was only in a handful of films is in one of her larger roles and i think she is a delight and very talented. She is one of the best looking black and white era actresses i have seen, beautiful eyes and dimples for days! I enjoyed the beginning of this film the most as Crosby playing the young modern Father Chuck O'Malley is transferred to a new church run by the out of touch buy kindly Father Fitzgibbon played by Barry Fitzgerald. The clash a little at first but quickly the old father realizes O'Malley's new style is better for the church and acquiesces. This is a very sweet harmless crowd pleasing movie with just enough humor.