Going Overboard Reviews

Clintus M.
½ September 3, 2015
Adam Sandler stars in this "no-budget" (a self-described disclaimer at the film's beginning) comedy from writer/director Valerie Breiman. It's simply a very loose plot involving a cruise ship, beauty queens, and an aspiring comedian; basically an excuse for lots of bad jokes. Filmed during the same period he appeared on MTV's game show Remote Control, the other aspect of this film remotely (pun intended) interesting is a peek at the very young star. The plot concerning Gen. Manuel Noriega's (Rocky's Burt Young) revenge against Miss Australia is so stupid it detracts from the gags.
An interesting bonus is the inclusion of actors who became well-known later and a few other notables. Billy Bob Thornton, Billy Zane, director Adam Rifkin, and Sandler friend Allen Covert show up, as well as 50s icons Milton Berle and Terry Moore.
½ June 21, 2015
This movie was released in 1989, not 1994. Get is straight, Rotten Tomatoes!
½ June 14, 2015
godawful first film, before BILLY MADISON , a small step up about a wannabe standup comic. NOT EVEN FOR SANDLER DIEHARD FANS.
December 31, 2011
Twas pretty damn awful.
½ February 13, 2010
Only worth your time if you are a fan of Adam Sandler. Actually even if you are it's not worth watching. (First viewing - Teen years)
May 20, 2012
Compared to duds like Jack & Jill and the new about-to-open That's My Boy, this movie is actually 1) good and 2) funny!
Sandler should go back, not forward.
½ April 7, 2013
Adam Sandler at literally his worst
½ December 3, 2013
Non. Juste non. Je veux bien decouvrir des films meconnus de debut de carriere d'acteurs reconnus, mais Going Overboard atteint mon seuil de tolerance (pourtant place tres bas) au bout de 10 min. Et pourtant, il y a Peter Berg, Billy Bob Thornton, Adam Sandler, Burt Young et Billy Zane. Mais le film est scenaristiquement minable, visuellement abominable et surtout interminable. Pas un gag ne marche, pas une idee n'est interessant, rien n'est a sauver dans cet etron cinematographique. Au moins, c'est un peu original. Mais non. Juste, non, ce n'est pas possible de sortir un film dans cet etat-la.
½ November 10, 2013
Filled with unfunny jokes and bad acting, this film drowns in it's shame
½ February 16, 2013
Despite the interesting choice of cast line up, and the fact that it's Sandler's first film, this movie was pretty bad. You're probably wondering why I even gave it two and half stars. Well, because I actually enjoyed some parts, and Sandler himself was a charming young man. Overall, though, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a die hard fan of him.
½ August 28, 2013
Not a bad film considering it was on no budget, funniest gag has to be the fact that it has Adam Sandler aiming to be a rich comedian and now he is. Shame about the bad reviews, I watched it mainly on the fact it was Sandlers debute film and I'm glad I did, was not the worst film I've watched.
July 14, 2013
How Adam Sandler is still making movies I'll never know, but this has to be his worst acting in his career.
To me it felt like a video made by Joe Francis (Girls Gone Wild) but even I know his videos have a way better plot then this movie.
You can pin point the spots of amateur acting, especially with Adam Sandler. It was really hard to keep concentration on the movie when all I wanted to do was shut it off, but I kept telling myself "I've gone this far into it, can't stop now".
Trust me if you collect or enjoy watching bad movies, then watch this, but beware. You're in for 1 hr. and 37 min of absolutely nothing but annoying nonsense, and laugh-less nonsense at that.
Literally the more talented actors are the ones not speaking in this movie.
July 12, 2013
Paying any amount of money to see this is too much. In fact, Sandler should have to pay you for seeing it as a way of saying "sorry". Ironically, his latest films all seem to be trying to one-up this "golden oldie" in laughlessness. (I don't care that it's not a real word)
May 8, 2013
I really can't get into this movie; I understand it's low budget, but the one character I found funny wasn't in the movie longer than 5 minutes. I would only suggest this movie if you love terrible 80's humor.
April 13, 2013
It looks as if it was naturally staged like if somebody was like hey lets make a movie, this is what they would get i under stand this was like his first work for a "no Budget" film but it was hard to watch even 30 minutes of it before i had to write a review.
½ March 25, 2013
I realize this is Adam's beginning of this badass career... but man... this movie SUCKED! They could have atleast came up with a better, funnier band name besides yellow-teeth. wtf? Oh Well. Adam you broke out of that.. and became one of my comedic actors.
½ March 5, 2013
You'll probably see better group projects in a college film course.
½ January 31, 2013
How could anybody, at any point in time, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, think that this movie was a good idea? "Going Overboard" is so awful that you can't even call it bad. You would have to invent a new term for this movie to explain the horrific stupidity contained within. This is truly worse than watching an animal die a slow, painful death. It has some of the worst dialogue that I have ever heard, maybe even worse that "Birdemic" and "The Room." For goodness sake, SOMEBODY BUILD A FOURTH WALL AND STOP ADAM SANDLER FROM TALKING TO ME! This 90-minute commentary between Sandler and the audience is absurd with lines like "These guys don't have anything to do with the film but we just threw them in for variety." I don't know who wrote the script or why they hired the worst cast of actors available (including Sandler) but this movie is painful. "Happy Gilmore" and "Billy Madison" are two of my favorite comedies of all time but the stupid humor in this film is delivered so poorly that it is just nauseating. Sandler's characters are always ridiculous and over-the-top (which makes them so memorable), but these ones are acted so unconvincingly that you just want to see them all go overboard with concrete shoes. I have watched some awful movies in my day but somehow, this film is a strong candidate for the worst movie ever.
½ January 30, 2013
Sometimes, a shit movie is just a shit movie.
December 20, 2012
Oh boy, more Adam Sandler garbage...he does not make me laugh (maybe Opera Man).