20% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

GoldenEye Reviews

Josh L

August 21, 2008
With Goldeneye, the 17th Bond film, we finally get a successor that can pull of the dashing wit and coldness of Bond in the tradition of Sean Connery. Pierce Brosnan is the best Bond since Connery no question (at least until Craig came and shocked everyone). Goldeneye takes the series back to basics after the atypical Licence to Kill and the result is a slick and satisfying action film that follows the typical formula, but modernizes the look and feel for the first time in decades. Goldeneye isn't really any different than past successful Bond films, but as far as the formula goes this one applies it in the best ways since the heyday of the Connery era. The story is your typical maniac trying to take over the world with high tech gadgetry, but is actually one of the most intriguing because of the addition of 006. Sean Bean's 006 won't go down as one of the best villain performances, but he is solid and gets the job done and the character itself is one the better thought out villains. Famke Janssen's Xenia Onatopp is the more entertaining and memorable villain in the tradition of Oddjob. One of the major differences between this film and the past is that it is self-aware of many of the traditions and cliches of a Bond film and flips some of it on its head in funny and interesting ways. There's not a whole lot of humor, but what is there works and it's never cheesy (something that can't be said for any Roger Moore film). The action is pretty good in this, and there's tons of it (probably the most of any Bond I've seen up to this point in the series) and helps the film go at a decent pace until it hits a few slower spots in the middle. One criticism I do have, and it's not just levied at Goldeneye but Bond films in general, is that over 2 hours is starting to be too long and tiresome. Cut about 20-30 minutes off some of these films and they would be much better. Overall, Goldeneye is the best traditional Bond film since the Connery era and that makes it one of the strongest entries in the storied franchise.
Everett J

December 22, 2012
"Goldeneye" is Pierce Brosnan's first turn as Bond, James Bond and it was also the first Bond movie I saw in the theater. I remember my dad taking me, and just being completely captivated. He and I have gone to each one since, and they just get better and better. Here Bond goes against the Soviet Union as they threaten the world with nuclear weapons. Sean Bean plays 006, and old associate of Bond's who is the mastermind behind war in search for world domination. This is also the first time Judi Dench plays M, and she does great. This really was a breath of fresh air for the franchise and helped keep it relevant.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
I liked the Timothy Dalton Bond films, but the series needed a boost and a good update for the 90s, and it couldn't have gotten much better than this. Martin Campbell proved here that he could make an exciting, fun, and smart Bond film, and later proved he could do it again when the series once again needed reinvigorating.

Brosnan makes for a pretty good Bond, and he's the closest of all the others when it comes to getting to Connery's level. The plot is good and I liked the revenge angle. Thankfully the film's plot also proved to be successfully adaptable for the video game world, as the game is just as awesome as the movie (if not a hair better).

The rest of the cast and performances are good. Janssen is an excellent femme fatale, Bean makes for a good villain, Scorupco is a beauty (and she's talented). I think she disappeared after this movie, and that's a shame. I miss seeing her. Cumming is great as the geeky comic relief, and having Dench play a female "M" was a welcome and inspired move.

The action is fun and well done, and there's a lot going on here, yet the movie isn't too long or overblown or murky. The plot, despite having revenge elements, also gets into the Cold War stuff that permeates a lot of spy movies (and not just this series), and that's fine. It works pretty well, and doesn't get too over the top or ridiculous.
Dan S

July 23, 2007
One of the better films in the Bond series concerning 007 (Pierce Brosnan) and his mission to stop a nuclear launch by the Soviet Union. Brosnan, as he was during his days as Bond, is calm, cool, and collected, and is a fine fit for the role of the never-dying star. Perhaps I am a little biased in loving this movie as much as I do being that the Nintendo 64 videogame was a hallmark in my young upbringing when it came to games and movies, but anytime you get to see Sean Bean be a villain here, it's a lot of fun. The ending sequence is handsomely, neatly constructed, with nice chemistry between Brosnan and Isabella Scorupco (as computer hacker Natalya). One of the best films from the series in my opinion, and definitely Bronsan's finest two hours as Bond.
Al S

November 20, 2006
An explosively entertaining thrill-machine. Loads of eye-popping stunts and spectacular action. Pierce Brosnan is a cool, slick and genuinely charming as the fifth Bond, he has all the right moves, humor and charm to makes the character work. Director, Martin Campbell crafts a wickedly cool and spectacular action classic as well as another classic in the Bond series. Judi Dench is confident and demanding as M. Sean Bean is excellent, he and Brosnan have great chemistry in the hero vs. villain relationship.
skactopus
skactopus

March 14, 2007
Pierce Brosnan's debut as James Bond is left in the hands of Martin Campbell, and boy does he get it right.Goldeneye is 2 hours and change of everything a spy action thriller needs. The first 10 minutes open with a bang and the story simply takes off from there. The plot reveals details at the proper times, while the characters keep things interesting.The action comes in all forms with guns, cars, and lots of destruction at the hands of a tank. The final confrontation between the hero and the villain isn't one to fret at either.Goldeneye brings out the best in everybody. Pierce Brosnan proves he is the man for the job. Sean Bean is an excellent 006 and there is no arguments with Izabella Scorupco and Famke Janssen as Bond girls.When all is said and done, Goldeneye is an excellent example of a masterful Bond flick. It comes as a highly recommendable picture.
EightThirty .

September 27, 2012
26/09/2012 (DVD)
Phil H

November 27, 2008
A good come back for Bond here...Brosnan is actually a good Bond but this was the only decent Bond he made if you ask me. There are some really nice action set pieces in this one...the tank Bond drives, the dish fight at the end and Janssen is very very hot :)

The best thing in this was a great baddie by Sean Bean, he's a rogue agent who double crosses Bond and he doesnt hide his Yorkshire accent haha brilliant.

The best bits are still Janssen crushing men between her thighs though hehe that's what Bond is all about...sexy girls killing guys in inventive ways haha

Apart from that its business as usual with everything you would expect and nothing much new, certainly nothing much to will blow you away. After this Brosnan goes all 'Moore' as his Bond adventures become rather camp affairs, hurrah!
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

January 22, 2007
One of the better Bond films in the series, I've always felt that Pierce Brosnan was the perfect James Bond. It's great to see Sean Bean and Famke Janssen in the villain roles. It's also great to see Alan Cumming and Robbie Coltrane in the supporting roles. This one is action packed with a lot of style and substance. There are a lot of signature Bond motifs, ironies and jokes all over the place, but it feels brand new each time you see it, and that's the film's best quality. It's always fresh. I'm a fan of Martin Campbell and I'm glad that he was chosen to work on a couple of these.
Eric A

August 9, 2011
This movie was made even cooler with the video game. Am I wrong?
Alexander D

July 22, 2011
This Bond film has it ALL. And when I say all...I mean it.
michael e.
michael e.

May 29, 2011
This film had great action, great spectacle and effects, but the only thing i didn't like about the film is the villain, Alec Trevlyan, mainly because, HES A MORON!!! He is given the perfect opportunity to shoot bond, he literally has him at gun point, and what does he do? GLOAT ABOUT HOW HE WAS BETTER! Im just happy he got a awesome and brutal death
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 8, 2007
My number one favourite among the James Bond movies that I've seen so far.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

March 1, 2008
Brosnan's statement as Bond, a good one but when Casino Royale came out, you forget the previous Bond decade.

Update: Sean Bean might be one of the best Bond villains ever, his Shakespearean-like delivery is like a glazed donut fresh off a diet. Definitely qualifies as a robot.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 29, 2010
Goldeneye is the best James Bond film since The Spy Who Loved Me. This is James Bond in a post-Cold war world, and it's a very interesting film. Everything that was corny and cheesy about the 1980's Bond films are gone, what you have here is an action packed Thriller that takes no prisoners. The film has a strong story, and is also supported by a strong cast. A terrific Bond film for the 1990's, Goldeneye is one of the best films of the franchise.
Jani H

November 28, 2007
"The name's Bond. James Bond"

James Bond is the most famous spy in the world. Not Jason Bourne or any other copycat. The spy genre started with Bond and will end with him. One of the reasons why James Bond is so popular is the fact that the series has lasted time very well with at least two reboots made. 1995 was the first time this series was booted, starring Pierce Brosnan in his 007 debut. Martin Campbell directed 'Goldeneye' and 10+ years later he would direct the second reboot with 'Casino Royale'.

'Goldeneye' is a decent Bond film. It's hard for these films to give us something new and fresh. 'Goldeneye's' story is though one of the films strongest factors. The film has a good actor as Bond. Brosnan delivers some new charisma and seriousness to the character. And what would a Bond film be without good bad guys. Sean Bean and Famke Janssen give good performances respectively.

'Goldeneye' has also one of the best Bond songs ever made. Tina Turner delivers a wonderful performance with the title song. Still, years later, when I hear the song from the radio or TV, I hear it through without fadin.

The action is good, the story is good and its got a good actor as Bond. Brosnan was considered for Bonds role years before when the producers chose to choose Timothy Dalton as 007. Now it was his turn and, in my opinion, he is one of the best in the role. Enjoy!
Jason O

October 7, 2009
The Nintendo 64 video game is TONS better than the movie!
Anthony L

September 23, 2009
I didn?t think much of it to be honest but thought Brosnan was a good choice for Bond
Lewis C

March 3, 2008
The reason why I love Bond films today. Goldeneye offers the perfect blend of action, babes, and spy hijinks. Later Brosnan movies would become mired in silly plots and an over-reliance on special effects, but Goldeneye still stands today as one of the best movies in the entire series.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 4, 2007
i huge bond fan and just as usual these movies arent a disappointment with great action packed shooting sequences and a brilliant storyline which is easy to follow but still really entertaining