29% The Other Woman Apr 25

—— Suburgatory: Season 3

Goldfinger Reviews

Apeneck F

July 12, 2007
If defining a generation's your thing, here's the master class, an filmic anatomy course in giving the people what they want (circa 1960, yah?) in spades. And so what do the people want? Let's look at the film to see.
A lead with all the answers, courageous, on-the-job and yet not too on-the-job to take a detour every now and then (If the reason's sexy enough), civilized and yet ready to rough-and-tumble should the need occur. Check.
The women? Competent, alluring, able to do any man's job (forgive me) and more, and yet still submissive? Check.
Our villain? Sophisticated, worldly (portly, too), ingenious, conniving, ruthless. Check. Did I mention ruthless yet? Check again.
Henchman? Strong. Silent. Ready to kill. And yet stylishly coiffed with a derby. Check.
Let's get ready to rumble.
Al S

October 29, 2012
A pure shot of exhilarating fun. A great entertainment that is loaded with exciting action and great humor. A sharp, funny, action-packed and thrilling movie. A great example of what popcorn fun is all about. Sean Connery commands the screen with confidence, style and charm with his great performance. It's one of the best Bonds made with Connery and with the entire series.
Edward B

April 27, 2013
As a James Bond fan, I hate myself for saying this, but Goldfinger has not aged well. No doubt that the film will go down in history as the film that defined the character of 007. Sean Connery's brilliant performance established the character's smooth persona. The opening fight scene alone is one of the most satisfying action scenes in all of James Bond's films, aptly ended with Connery uttering the hilarious pun, "Shocking." Not to mention that Goldfinger marked the first time Bond orders his iconic drink "shaken not stirred."
Unfortunately, the film looks quite dated. The misogynist undertones in the way Bond controls women as well as the ridiculously sexist names like Pussy Galore come off today as too objectifying to overlook. The action scenes are cringe worthy, and the plot seems rather flat when compared to Bond's latest adventures.
That's not to detract from the fact that Goldfinger is required viewing for any Bond fan. This is the film that established the character as we have come to know it. It's also interesting to watch this film to see how far we've come since its release, both for the better and for the worse.
Kase V

January 14, 2013
'Goldfinger' is a slight change in formula for the Bond series, and although it takes away some of its credibility, it adds a lot more fun. Finally, the series is given a very legitimate villain that is well acted by Gert Frobe. The pace quickens and the plot is simple. Though campy and kitsch, 'Goldfinger' establish many of the Bond trademarks that we have fostered a love for, creating a film that has forever changed the Bond series.
Josh L

March 13, 2009
Goldfinger is where the series turns from straight-forward spy thrillers to the camp filled over the top blockbuster films they are now more known for. This is most definitely the most influential film in the entire series. The story is by far the most over the top of the early Connery Bonds and it is hard to take it seriously some times, but it has some memorable villains in Goldfinger, Oddjob, and Pussy Galore. It doesn't reach the heights of From Russia With Love, but Goldfinger is still vintage Connery Bond.
KJ P

October 1, 2010
As great as the story is in this film, and how memorable it's villains are, it just does not make up for it's overdone, and sometimes laughable action sequences, which have not dated very well. I felt myself invested in everything that was happening, but I feel like it could have been a bit shorter and the action took me out. I just felt a bit annoyed during my viewing of this film. "Goldfinger" definitely has the best story of the series so far, but by the end of the film, I was too focussed on the shot mess-ups and the sloppy choreography that I was taken out of the experience. This is a very enjoyable bond film, but I'm not a big fan of it!
garyX
garyX

November 27, 2006
James Bond locks horns with an international gold smuggler who plans to break into Fort Knox. The third instalment of the popular franchise sees the formula find its feet and delivers a near perfect cocktail of action, humour and sixties style to create a magic that the producers tried (unsuccessfully) to recapture for the next two decades. One of the obvious reasons for Goldfinger's success is Bond's nemesis himself; gone are the camp caricatures of the previous films, replaced by a cold, calculating criminal mastermind who proves a match for 007, especially during the classic "interrogation" scene ("Do you expect me to talk?" "No Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!"). Honor Blackman also makes a stronger, more independent Bond girl and we see Q Branch for the first time, providing an assured and charismatic Connery with plausible gadgets and his iconic Aston Martin. The one liners and sexual innuendo also make an appearance but are done with the kind of wit and subtlety that disappeared during the crass Roger Moore era and John Barry's superb score has the same kind of enjoyably brash swagger that Sean Connery has developed for the part. Certainly the best of the early Bonds and only the recent reinvention Casino Royale has come even close to surpassing it.
Everett J

October 5, 2012
Here is where the series starts with the jokes, campiness, and amazing gadgets, but it's still Bond, and it's still awesome. Here Bond(Sean Connery) has to contend with a gold smuggler named Goldfinger who has a plan to rob Fort Knox. Goldfinger even has a henchman named Oddjob that kills people with his hat. Not the best Bond movie, but far from the worst. Connery is just amazing, and it's good to go back and see just how fantastic he is. He really is that guy that men wanna be, and women wanna be with. This movie also has deadly lazer, dead women painted in gold, and crazy tricked out pool tables. What more could you possibly want from a Bond movie? I love this franchise, and really enjoy revisiting the movies, which I recommend all Bond fans do before the new movie comes out next month.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
This is right up there with From Russia With Love as being one of the quintessential Bond films. I think this one might also be the most well known too, but don't quote me on that.

This one certainly has some of the most memorable quotes and moments for sure, namely the chief Bond girl's name (the deliciously unsubtle entendre of Pussy Galore), the infamous torture/intimidation scene (laser near the crotch), and the sequence with the woman in gold. It also marked a shift into the kitschy and campy realms, mostly with the gadgets and humor, but thankfully these didn't reach the heights of silliness until far later on in the series.

Bond is tasked with the fairly straightforward mission of stopping a notorious gold smuggler from robbing Fort Knox. Of course, despite how simple this sounds/seems, the quest to getting the job done is loaded with many challenges, perils, and great characters. Not only did this film really help set the tone for the rest of the series, but it also had a major hand in shaping the look, feel, and tone for many other action and adventure films of the 1960s and 70s.

Hands down required viewing for all fans of Bond, spy films, and action/adventure movies in general.
EightThirty .

April 8, 2010
28/06/2012 (DVD)
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

January 16, 2012
James Bond does James Bondy stuff to stop a villain whose name fits his intentions and obsessions.
Goldfinger is like a Bugs Bunny cartoon: it's ludicrous, violent, occasionally fun to watch, and has no moral center. I enjoyed watching the film in spite of itself. Normally, I gain pleasure from films when they make my brain work harder than it would if I were staring at the walls, but this film actually requires that one turn one's brain off and enjoy the spectacle of beautiful women and debonair Sean Connery and contrived plot devices that fit into the Bond formula as securely as we're supposed to feel knowing that spies like Bond are protecting us from the bad guys.
Raymond W

January 3, 2012
I'm not too fond of Sean Connery's James Bond. There is something missing. Goldfinger is not a great film, but it is good entertainment, and I guess I enjoyed it for that. The plot sometimes doesn't make sense, and it's predictable, but it's good entertainment.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

November 10, 2011
The very Best James Bond Film Ever Produced. No one played better then Sean Connery. This film was so far ahead of its time. Watch it and think about events in the world today. Don't know what the big hype was about Pussy Galore when this movie came out, there were more attractive women in this film. Hard to beleive it was filmed in 1964. Again way ahead of its time. 5 Stars
Alexander D

July 16, 2011
A great film, but I don't think that much of Sean Connery's acting, to say the very least.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 11, 2007
Best of the series.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

January 8, 2011
James Bond in perhaps his most noteworthy film outting. Well, certainly the most memorable. Just about everything about Bond as we know him in pop culture comes from this film. It drags about a bit toward the middle of the film, but other than that it's a lot of fun.
AJ V

September 5, 2010
It's an okay Bond movie, the villain is interesting, but I found a lot of the plot confusing and boring. Not bad, but I didn't like it much either. It's not the worst Bond movie I've seen.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 9, 2007
These older James Bond movies sure have their charm. Well, at least the ones starring Sean Connery, who in my opinion, is and will always be the best Bond. And altough GoldenEye ranks as my #1 favourite film, Goldfinger comes at a very close second. The special effects may be pretty dated, but it has so many great qualities, that you forget all about that. Such as a great main villain for instance, with an even cooler henchman. I'm speaking, of course, of Oddjob. Because who can forget the scene where he beheads a statue with his hat? Definitely one of the most memorable moments in Bond history. So if you're gonna see one of these old classic 007 flicks, be sure you pick this one.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 28, 2010
Third entry in the James Bond series is a slighht change of pace from the first two Bond thrillers. This is the first Bond epic that introduces the concept of gadgets. For me, I felt that this was one of the most confident Bond films yet, as the first two films proved that James Bond could kick major ass on screen. With Goldfinger, Bond is still charming and deadly, but the film feels like it has nothing to prove; it moves in a confident manner on screen. With that being said, Goldfinger is a solid Thriller with plenty of action and one or two few really suspenseful moments. This is also the Bond film to feature one of the most memorable Bond Villains yet, Oddjob, Auric Goldfinger's loyal servant who kills with his bowler hat. Goldfinger is one awesome Bond flick.
TheGame90
TheGame90

April 4, 2010
A step up from the last one...that's for shure. And a plot that was able to follow. I think it lived up to the hype....some awful voiceovers though...and Bond is still such a bully...He obviously raped a girl in this movie....