Gone Reviews

February 19, 2012
Liked it. Nothing amazing and a bit silly at times, but Amanda Seyfried is good and there's just enough doubt about her sanity through this to keep it interesting.

19/4/14. Updating this from 3 to 4 stars. Not sure why I found it silly on first watch. I had forgotten most of it when I rewatched it tonight, and if found it a really good suspense film.
½ June 10, 2012
Not bad..not great. Liked the ending scene. Decent movie, based on today's standards (since I think most thrillers nowadays pretty much suck). Amanda is a good actress, so that definitely made it worth the watch...
dietmountaindew
March 25, 2012
½ August 25, 2012
Really surprised by the general panning this film has taken. Whilst not perfect the story whizzes along and breakneck pace and is never boring. This movie won't change your life, but for sheer bloody minded entertainment, it hits all the right spots.
skactopus
July 27, 2012
Heitor Dhalia's Gone is a suspense thriller with a few things to show for it.A 90 minute story and a pace that struts along with some brisk behavior is how this picture reaches its closure. It's too bad that the final act does end up as the weak link because the initial setup is done quite nicely. Everything in between is enough to move from point A to point B.Given the plot, classifying this as a suspense thriller makes sense; however, on the flip side the thrills and suspense are lacking. Fortunately, there is heavy reliance and focus on the protagonist, whom is amusing to watch, to somewhat make up for the lack of excitement.The supporting characters, including the villain, are all stark and forgettable. This is due to the fact that Amanda Seyfried steals the spotlight from anyone and everyone. Heck, she steals scenes that haven't even happened yet. This ends up working for and against this picture.A 5 star masterpiece of a film this is not; however, Amanda Seyfried plays a big part in keeping Gone afloat.
FiLmCrAzY
July 18, 2012
Its pretty terrible, it has a lot that could work but just doesnt, a very undeveloped thriller with very undeveloped characters.
½ July 7, 2012
I'm very weird in that I will watch movies that I have no desire to see, or think look completely bad. I just enjoy movies so much I will give just about anything a chance. The first time I saw a trailer for this I thought "man, that looks downright horrible." But, when you get free copies of the latest DVD's, you'll give anything a chance. So I popped this in, and I must say, it was better than what I expected, but not nearly as good as what it could have been. Amanda Seyfried stars as Jill, a girl has escaped a kidnapper, and continues to live life trying to overcome the mental anguish. She comes home one night to find her sister Molly gone, and immediately thinks the man who kidnapped her, took Molly. She sets off to find the kidnapper before it's too late. But, is the kidnapper real or is it all in her messed up head? I've seen quite a few movies like this, and this is a decent entry into the genre of "crazy/not crazy" thrillers. Seyfried is ok, but the rest of the cast is just "meh" and bring it down a bit. I'll give an example, Wes Bentley plays some strange cop who is very out of place with the entire movie. Also, I must say the ending is very anti-climatic. I really feel like if this were made by someone like Christopher Nolan, this could have been an amazing mind bending movie. Instead, it feels like something that will end up on basic cable in a year or so. Good for a watch, and pretty forgettable, but you could definitely do worse.
½ May 26, 2012
Dhalia's first Hollywood film is an efficient thriller built on a constant tension and on the uncertainty surrounding a kidnapping that may only be a product of the protagonist's fear and paranoia. A solid movie, though almost mined by an implausible end.
MANUGINO
May 20, 2012
No one believes her. Nothing will stop her.

Good movie! 'Gone' kept my attention and kept me interested for the majority of its length. Fast pacing, serviceable dialog, and pleasant visuals were part of the reason. The entire film follows the protagonist, rather than focusing equal part on serial killer, but it does not detract from the depth film at all, and actually helps the pacing. Very good acting from Amanda Seyfried! Pretty good thriller, I would recommend it.

n the chilling suspense thriller 'Gone,' Jill Parrish (Amanda Seyfried) comes home from a night shift to discover her sister Molly has been abducted. Jill, having escaped from a kidnapping a year before, is convinced that the same serial killer has come back and taken Molly. Since the killer leaves no trace, the police don't have any evidence and can't help her. Afraid that Molly will be dead by sunrise, Jill sets out alone on a nail-biting chase to come face-to-face with the killer. Will she have enough time to find and outwit him, expose his secrets and save her sister?
December 15, 2011
Gone is a mediocre thriller that has an interesting story, but ultimately comes up short. The film follows Jill Parrish, an escaped kidnapping victim that comes to believe that her sister has been abducted by the same kidnapper when she goes missing. Amanda Seyfried leads the cast and gives a good performance that adds a lot to the film. However, as interesting as the story is, it's written rather poorly and isn't able to build much suspense. Yet, Gone is able to manage enough intrigue and mystery to keep the film interesting.
themoviewaffler.com
½ April 12, 2012
Having been abducted herself a year previously, Seyfried takes the law into her own hands when her sister disappears.

It seems like every bad Hollywood thriller has been set in the Pacific Northwest recently. They all share the exact same credit sequence, a helicopter shot following the protagonist as they drive through the landscape, the road flanked by thick woodland. This is but the first cliche delivered here. At one point we get the obligatory jump scare involving a cat in a closet. I can understand how a cat might get inside a closet but without the aid of opposable thumbs how on earth do they manage to close the door behind them? This is the sort of question you'll be asking yourself while watching this, as it sure beats concentrating on the film.
I'm not sure if Seyfried is really this bad an actress or if it's just the painful dialogue she has to vomit throughout. She constantly looks confused and I'm not sure if that's acting. Anyone who grew up in the eighties will remember the moment in "Commando" when a thug pleads with Arnie "You said you wouldn't kill me!" only to be dropped off a clifftop as the Austrian Olivier replies "I lied!" That scene is replayed verbatim with Seyfried in the Arnie role. Strangely it's not actually the worst moment in the film.
Of course it wouldn't be a modern thriller without desaturated cinematography, so extreme here that every actor looks like they were recently pronounced dead, and in some cases rigor mortis is setting in. Why you would shoot in such a colorful location only to remove all color from the final film is a puzzle to me. So many film-makers seem to think thrillers can't be colorful. They can. There once was an overweight English director who filled his thrillers with color no matter how dark the subject, but I wouldn't expect the hacks of today to be familiar with his work.
I suspect the movie's title may be prophetic for the career of it's director.
June 15, 2012
Gone is predictable, boring, badly written, and decidedly uninspired. Boiled down, it amounts to essentially a bad made-for-tv movie. No real thrills are to be found, no real surprises are to be had, and the plot devices are either worn out or just silly. The plot makes very little sense, though it does take itself very seriously. The acting ranged from bad to serviceable, with Amanda Seyfried actually coming out okay. Overall, it does appear to be a competent B thriller in spots, but ultimately succumbs to being dull and mostly stupid.

2/4 Stars
Jason Vargo
June 8, 2012
If Gone doesn't put you to sleep, you're lucky. This is a thriller-wannabe, thriller-lite, something you'd see on Lifetime which has no business being on a theater screen. Why? Let's see: comically inept police, dropping a supporting character for the middle of the movie in hopes of creating a red herring, an ending impossibly revenge-y and characters who act simply because the script demands it and not because of any good story reason.
Angel G.
July 15, 2012
Amanda Seyfried gives a great performance, but she deserved better from the not-so good script. Gone is your above-average thriller, in which it revolves in those stories where a the girl's sister is kidnapped by the same person who kidnapped the girl, but the police think the guy doesn't exist, so is the girl hallucinating? Seyfried is a lovely female lead, and she does a fine job with what she's been given, but we have a lackluster script here and it is the biggest problem of this movie. However, the suspense and the flashbacks were really good and the movie was edited well, and Amanda of course was fine. Gone is not great neither fantastic, but Seyfried, the suspense and the revenge scene of this movie was very entertaining.
May 30, 2012
As much as I enjoy Amanda Seyfried, Gone fails to highlight any of her actual talent while relying on a cockamamie thriller structure to force time constraints that aren't there, produce unrealistic motives in all characters, especially the generic police department bent on never believing Seyfried's character no matter what, and delivering one of the worst trail of clues I've ever witnessed in a mystery solving storyline. At one point, the film becomes more about Seyfried's character commandeering as many vehicles as physically possible in 94 minutes than actually furthering any sort of plot and in a world where you can pay a complete stranger to borrow their car for the day with the promise of "returning it tomorrow" on the honor system makes it pretty damn easy for her to get around.
December 14, 2011
"Gone" is the kind of movie that you watch on a rainy Sunday afternoon when there is literally nothing else on. This will also take place a year or so from now when the film makes its premiere on television because there is no way anyone will have remembered it had a theatrical run or will likely even notice it on the rental shelves. The appealing Amanda Seyfried headlines this thriller that is actually a pro-longed guessing game that should have made its home on the Lifetime network in the first place. As Jill Seyfried is a girl without trust and suspicious of all those that try to get too close to her. She lives with her sister and is convinced that the same guy who kidnapped her two years ago has now taken her sister in place of her. It is a nice set up with a consistent tone, but the story goes nowhere and the ending is just completely ridiculous and makes little sense. Supporting players like Jennifer Carpenter and Wes Bentley show up in what are ultimately pointless roles in a movie that is so easily forgettable it is a wonder yone wasted their time. The theater I saw this in contained only a small group of pre-teen and teenage girls that seemed to rather enjoy the tough girl act that Seyfried put on. This only shows that at least the actress knows her fan base and what they want to see, but she would have done better doing a guest spot on "Pretty Little Liars". Teenage girls deserve and need more intelligent stories than this.
jim222001us
½ August 1, 2012
Amanda Seyfried plays Jill, a girl scarred emotionally due to being abducted a year earlier. When her sister goes missing, the cops are useless since they think Jill is mentally unstable and was never abducted. Yet, 4 cops sit and listen to her when she says her sister was taken, they don't believe her but apparently they hear her out every time she's paranoid and goes there.
Jill goes looking for her sister but when she pulls a gun on someone for informantion, the cops finally get off their ass but to try and arrest Jill. We're supposed to think that "what if Jill is nuts?" but is hard when there's so many flashbacks of her abduction. So I just spent most of the movie finding the police annoying. I also spent most of the movie wondering "why is Amanda Seyfried in this?"
July 30, 2012
I'm surprised at all the bad reviews - I thought this was pretty good. Seyfried did very well at portraying a possibly crazy, definitely mentally disturbed girl. You always wonder if you should believe her or not.
December 5, 2011
At points 'Gone' (2012) is suspenseful, but with a dull beginning and a tedious ending it leaves a movie as satisfying as stale dog food. If you have thirteen year old girls with you, Amanda Seyfried is the ONLY reason to watch this movie.
mvieaddict
½ February 22, 2012
Gone surprisingly kept my attention for most of its length. It was fast pacing, had decent dialog and pleasant visuals. And to tell the truth it was the work of Amanda Seyfried who was quite excellent as Jill. She stole every scene she was in. There was some interesting quality she had that kept you following her. But what made Gone a less successful film was the way in which the plot unfolded The credibility was poor by showing how clues just appeared for Jill. To start with the neighbor across the street, he just could tell her the most detailed information about a van, the color, how long it was parked, and what was written on it. This was not so unlikely, but when this leads to what looks like a simple Google search resulting in finding a van that matches the description, it seemed all just too easy. I suppose it allowed the film to move along, but it did not bear a viewer's believe and just got ridiculous! To top things off, the ending was hardly satisfying. One aspect of the small twist was enough, but the rest of the ending was too exaggerating. Watch this if you really like poor suspense thrillers or if you don't have anything else to watch.