Gooby

44% Power: Season 1

Gooby Reviews

Jason C

July 3, 2010
I don't know if I've ever used the word pathetic to describe a movie, but I will here. This is the saddest thing. It didn't even make $4 million in theaters, making it in comparable to Glitter in that aspect. Nothing in this movie had personality. Nothing new, nothing unique, nothing original, nothing likable about Gooby, the orange monster. I would say it's a made for TV quality movie, but that would be an insult to made for TV movies.

The acting was bad enough. Matthew Knight was poorly cast and directed. He was a whiny kid all the way through the movie. Robbie Coltrane, Hagrid in Harry Potter movies, voices the pathetic creature and can't make Gooby any more interesting. Eugene Levy will take any role and does the exact same character every time. The only good thing about the cast is Ingrid Kavelaars. She's beautiful, if nothing more than an average actor, who is too good for Gooby because of her looks alone. I couldn't wait until she, the main characters mom, was on screen again. Absolutely beautiful.

The writer/director has done nothing redeemable. Hopefully this is the nail in the coffin that keeps him from writing or directing again. Atrocious on both counts. It looked like he tried to juggle too many stories in one, and was successful on no level. Not one. The dialogue was horrible and nothing came together. Gooby wasn't even an interesting character. I could have made two small changes to the movie and made it that much better.

Do not watch this movie. It is one of the signs of the Apocalypse, and no one needs to see that. There's no way I could imagine Gooby would be entertaining to children. The character isn't funny, there is nothing colorful about Gooby, and the story is as lame as can be.
MovieGuruDude72
September 10, 2010
Loved this silly movie just because my youngest nephew's nickname is Gooby. He goes bonkers when he watches this film so it has to possess some genuine charm. You can't trash a movie that remind you of your little nephew :-)
May 13, 2010
Nothing I could write could really say it better than this quote:

"This should be, by all accounts, a horror movie. It is instead a Canadian family comedy. So, you know, same difference."

I barely even watched this to be perfectly honest, but I'm going to go ahead and pull a lemming and go with the majority rating...2 stars!
October 4, 2009
This boy doesn't just have a over active imagination.. hes schizophrenic and depressed. My kid seemed to think it was a little boring.. Heh.. this kid in teh movie reminds me of the boy from never ending story.. Its pretty damn spooky haha. Aww I had to stop the movie part way through.. To scary for my son.
jam233
August 6, 2009
Likable but a bit too silly, but it should entertain the younger kids. Forgettable and predictable. It started off promising, but that didn't last long.
March 27, 2013
"Gooby" is meant for little children and they might enjoy it, but anyone else will get a real creepy feeling out of watching this movie. The story isn't particularly interesting and doesn't try to be original. The main character "Willy" has few/no friends and feels like an outcast when he moves into a new home/school. He meets a magical new friend (that he must hide from his parents for comedic purposes) and together they learn to overcome their fears, try new things and he learns how to make real friends. Sound familiar? You also get the generic bully that's inserted to show how "Willy" has trouble at school and a goofy authority figure that is trying to snap pictures of "Gooby" to make quick buck. If you were wondering, yes both parents are working jobs that keep them way too busy to pay any attention to their son (of course).

If the predictability was he only thing that was wrong with the movie, it would still be passable but the movie has many moments that end up feeling incredibly creepy. The first simply being "Gooby's" design. To make a creature sympathetic and cute-looking, you need to give it large eyes, not tiny beady ones that don't move and you need to make it seem vulnerable, not towering over it's child friend. It doesn't help that "Gooby" is given a few questionable moments and lines in the film that cement this into "unsettling" territory. At one point in the film the bear comments on how it was fun pretending to be "Willy's" father (right after getting him and his friends into an R-Rated movie) and there's a scene where "Gooby" drags "Willy" out of bed in the middle of the night to "show him something important" that just screams awkward.

Many plot points in the film don't make a lot of sense. For example, why is "Willy" being hidden from the parents? He's clearly real, eats a ridiculous amount of cookies and is so big that you might as well just tell them what's going on. Some elements are quickly and awkwardly introduced but then immediately forgotten, like "Mr. Nerdlinger", who appears in only a few scenes, is introduced as a new teacher (a few months after Willy moves into a new school, so we get two teacher introductions) and tries to get pictures of "Gooby", but only a few times and never really in a malicious way so he doesn't really feel like a villain. There are also some basic film making mistakes that make the movie look really amateur (a scene where we can hear thunder but can also catch a glimpse of the sunny weather through a window for example). The movie becomes tedious and pretty boring at times and it's so paint by numbers that there's just nothing here that really stands out except for the mistakes and missteps. "Gooby" isn't quality entertainment for adults and it meets the bare minimum for children so there's no reason to recommend it. (Dvd, March 22, 2013)
December 31, 2012
Wow what can you say about Gooby. If this had been released in like 1993 or even up to 1996 I would give it a little more credit but the fact that it was released in 2009 is just horrible. The costume is just horrible and creepy to be completely honest. Also a lot of what Gooby says is creepy, it borders on nice family comedy and possible molestation half of the time. The soundtrack doesn't help either taking songs that should be in a romantic comedy not a kids movie. Overall this is a movie you sit down with a group of friends and just make fun of not a movie you show to your kids. I guess unless your kids have been bad then this might make a good punishment.
Robyn M.
August 22, 2012
Gooby is a confused film that's too crass it's not approperiate for youngsters and too bizare adults will be asking themselves if the jokes on them?
Disney's Toy Story maybe for everyones enjoyment but it's accomplishment came with a large obstacle of finding that middle ground so everyone could enjoy it's entertainment.
July 22, 2012
Dolan brought you here didn't it
May 19, 2012
Best movie ever made.
toxiemite
April 25, 2012
Alright, here's a weird one. Gooby is a family film about Willy, an 11 year old boy who has difficulty connecting with the world. He can't make friends and is terrified of change. When his parents buy a new house he is overcome with fear of what lies ahead and with an overactive imagination he conjures up a giant teddy bear to help him through it. The bear is Gooby (he hates his name because it sounds like snot) who becomes a parental/big brother figure for Willy. This is a strange movie which has trouble deciding what it wants to be. The interaction between Gooby and Willy is great and there's actually a touching story at the centre of the movie, however, the other portions are hokey and stupid. Eugene Levy offers a hinderance with a farcical character who brings the whole thing down a few levels. The other thing that confused me was that Gooby is (presumedly) supposed to be imaginary and yet other people see him at certain times.... anyway its a movie for kids which might actually reach some of it's more introverted viewers. Robbie Coltrane voices Gooby and adds sincerity and warmth.
October 15, 2011
Someone remake this. It's a neat idea just needs a redo
bartlett381
July 23, 2011
July 8, 2011
This movie is awful.
July 1, 2011
a horror movie that is, instead, a canadian family film. THE STORY DOES NOT MAKE SENSE AND GIVES ME NIGHTMARES! It makes Justin Bieber seem like a Godsend. Help us TGWTG, you're our only hope!
June 7, 2011
Cinematic Genius. Truly an incomparable film that you have to see to believe.
May 30, 2011
While this may not be the next E.T, I still think it looks nice even though the trailer doesn't look like much.

It seems innocent enough and the story is very nice, and since Eugene Levy is in it I can't complain.
December 15, 2010
BEST MOVIE EVER! PLOT-EXCEPTIONAL! COSTUME-AMAZING! JUST AN OVERALL FLAWLESS MOVIE!
Matthew
September 1, 2009
This is a very odd movie, from beginning to end. From the start, there's a big disconnect between the voice & the character of Gooby. With Gooby being a man in a suit, how were they unable to get Robbie Coltrane to just climb into the suit? When the voice doesn't match the face, things can only go downhill from there. Matthew Knight happens to be a talented young actor, as the boy who owns Gooby, but I think his talents are wasted in this role. Gooby is supposed to be the star, and I could not look past the suit to see the character he was portraying - partly because of the way his eyes are painted on in-expressively. The film has a small amount of quirkiness, notably the fact that Gooby retains his "cleaning instructions" tag sewn into his side, but other than that, there's really nothing to recommend. I think kids and adults will be more freaked out by this large stuffed creature than happy to see him.