Good Morning - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Good Morning Reviews

July 19, 2015
The only other Ozu film I've seen was released in the same year as this charming comedy- Floating Weeds. I actually found it rather weak and myself unattached to the characters. The experience for Good Morning was the opposite. One of the most soothing film viewings I could ask for. From the start I became completely absorbed in this world of a middle class Japanese suburb. Nothing dramatic happens, no turning points, just the simple life of a handful of families. And I couldn't ask for anything else. Many characters I would often find annoying didn't bother me here, and in fact I liked all of them. The whiny children, the gossipy neighbors, these are usually qualities that make a character a nuisance. In Good Morning I loved all the characters. Especially the grandmother, who was an absolute badass.

Despite being an immature comedy with most the humor based off farts- which was rather funny- Ozu creates an important simple statement on communications and understanding. There's nothing to profound in what is being said but it's simply humanist and adds a great charm to this film. The film has a perfect balance between showing the trivial conflicts of the children and of the adults. Despite it being clear that the characters have greater problems in their lives Ozu points the camera at two petty ones. Simple, calming, absorbing, meaningful, and beautiful. A truly great film.
½ December 11, 2014
This is a great delight! It's not overly ambitious as a piece of cinema, and yet everything is done very well. Jacques Tati In Japan - full of whimsy and fun, while also poking gentle fun at societal mores. Ozu also takes delight in children, as does Tati, as people who can show up adult pretensions and silly complexities.
November 17, 2014
Mesmerised & Speechless!
November 15, 2014
Muy entretenida.
??????????
November 15, 2014
Really slow paced even for such a short movie it takes 40 minutes to get the plot moving forward. Though at moments cute and I do like the Japanese culture in it, its still way too slow..
November 2, 2014
Nothing much happen but its entertaining all the same.
March 9, 2014
I enjoyed this film much more than I thought. The story seems very simple, kids want a TV. But it is much more than that, it is about modern technology entering Japan and individual's reactions. Also a difference between traditional Japan and the Westernization of Japan. A really good film, it is actually a remake of Ozu's I was Burn, But... from 1932.
March 6, 2013
Often charming look at Japanese family life in the late 1950s.
½ May 22, 2011
This is my third Ozu film I have seen, and I can say I have never been more surprised to see fart jokes in a movie (I mean, it is Ozu!). Good movie, but not his best.
January 25, 2013
A lighthearted comedy that shouldn't be ignored.
October 5, 2012
Ozu's style just doesn't work for comedy - interesting but ultimately limp and contrived.
½ September 30, 2012
Exquisitely framed, as all Ozu pictures are, and a wonderful sense of familial relations and the melodrama of gossipy women. The film contains many entertaining and amusing pieces, even though it's basically a soap opera, albeit one with Japanese concern and customs. Not one of his masterpieces, but fun to watch.
August 3, 2012
Surprisingly sweet as well as potent, this film about two boys who go silent until their parents by them a TV in the late 50s Japan sports wonderful performances by all around (especially the mother), and a spot on showcase of our abuse and misuse of communication as well as societies fear and judgement of each other. Very well made, paced just right, and able to have great message with a G rating.
April 17, 2012
It's Ozu in Technicolor. What's not to love?
½ April 9, 2012
Exquisite comedy from Ozu, effectively portraying the lives of women and children in post-war Japan. The regular themes are here: family strain, the influence of technological advances, budding romance, and the parent/child dynamic. Yet here, the comic touch is in full force, Ozu missing no opportunity for jokes. The camerawork is consistently excellent, beautifully utilizing depth of field and color to create a visually engaging experience that resonates with real life.
½ January 27, 2012
An enjoyable lighthearted little film. Loved the settings of this film, with its lively small suburb, its style portrayal of Japan late-1950's family life and the charming little childrens. I also loved the camera placement where the camera never moves but each shot is perfectly framed that highlights what the director wants the viewers to see. The "retro" color of the film are nice too.
½ January 12, 2012
Light hearted and funny
January 12, 2012
This is quite an unusual, yet somehow very mundane film with a peculiar line in very gentle Japanese comedy. The cinematography is terrible at times, the pace is fairly slow and a lot of the dialogue is longwinded. However, it did have a peculiar charm on occasions and the general weirdness of the film and 1959 Japan just about held my interest until the happy ending. I also learned not to eat powdered pumice stone!
July 21, 2008
Ozu said he wanted to make a film about people's inability to express the important things, but natter on about unimportant gossip. This all comes out thanks to two boys that really want a TV. They enter into a vow of silence until their TV comes. This silence is misconstrued by the neighbours, who think their mother is angry at them. They begin to gossip amongst themslves and rumors soon start. Meanwhile, the young boys' aunt and teacher are attracted, but fail to act on their emotions. This is a lovely little film, filled with some great humor. Though, I must admit, there was a bit too much focus on the poo/farts jokes. The two boys, especially the youngest, are very cute and make their efforts to get a TV seem less brattish. It's really sweet to see how dedicated the parents are, and even though the kids are kind of mean, they do appreciate the gift in the end. There's no escaping Ozu's look at the clashes between old and new, with the TV looming over all procedures as something that will change life. A little gem, if not one of Ozu's classics.