91% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Good Time Max Reviews

Nani V

November 2, 2008
It's nice to see James Franco in a small film. I enjoy drug movies, just because it always tells an interesting story.
Mike T

January 18, 2011
James Franco has a lot more skill than I used to be aware of. With this film, he shows promise as a writer and director, and proves once again that he is an exceptionally gifted actor. A lot of the material in Good Time Max is recycled, and the narrative focus arguably meanders at times. Nevertheless, I was emotionally compelled by these characters and situations (maybe for personal reasons), and I think the movie's strengths outweigh its weaknesses. Imperfect, to be sure, but very good.
May 7, 2012
James Franco is just brilliant. A great actor with a few questionable career choices (General Hospital, Your Highness, anyone?), but a great talent. This desperate "art house" film does not serve him well. He wrote & directed this one as well. That being said, his characters are somewhat flat, a bit cliched and the story serves nothing new. I found his directing style overeager and was disappointed by the finale. Come on, Mr. Franco. We've seen your talent. You're an Oscar nominee for goodness sake! Give us more "127 Hours" & "Milk", and a little less "this". Your potential is amazing! YOU could be the next household heartthrob with trophies to back your talent up!
jamilyn0276
July 24, 2009
Good Time Max is the story of two brothers, Max and Adam. Both have genius intelligence. One is a doctor, the other a computer expert. Until drugs get involved and turn their lives around. It's a story about how we grow up and sometimes grow apart. The struggles we go through, and how no matter what, family is family.
This film was written, directed, and starring James Franco. It was also dedicated to his own brother, making me think that perhaps in part he took from real life for this story. James Franco is an amazing and versatile actor, who has grown into his craft remarkably well. I really appreciated what he did for these two characters.
I really enjoyed this movie. It did have a few slow moments, but it was still a moving story. I thought that James Franco and Matt Bell, who played Adam, had wonderful on screen chemistry. You really felt they were family, and could feel their pain and struggles. There were a few gross out moments, and some comic relief thrown in.
All in all, I have to give Good Time Max a positive review. I was tired when I watched it, and it still managed to hold my attention. I would have to say it's worth the watch.
EvanAlmighty10
February 22, 2009
Excellent film. James Franco is a favorite actor of mine. He has shown he can do drama and comedy, both excellently. In this film he showed how much more talent that he has with co-writing AND directing. It was a great move about the hard life you live when doing drugs and the consequences of doing them. The difficulty in getting straight when you want to. GREAT movie! Congrats Mr. Franco on your directing debut.
mrfantasticg10
July 30, 2008
This movie is really good. It's way above averaj! This film is edgy, funny, and raw. James Franco great acting puts this movie over the top. You will be very intrigued by the lifestyles of all the characters. This is a cool and DAMAAJJJ flix!
January 9, 2013
i would re-watch if this was the only viable option
Mikey
March 25, 2013
James Franco is just brilliant. A great actor with a few questionable career choices (General Hospital *for God's sake!*, Your Highness, anyone?), but a great talent. This desperate "art house" film does not serve him well. He wrote & directed this one as well. That being said, his characters are somewhat flat, a bit cliched and the story serves nothing new. I found his directing style overeager and was disappointed by the finale. Come on, Mr. Franco. We've seen your talent. You're an Oscar nominee for goodness sake! Give us more "127 Hours" & "Milk", and a little less "this". Your potential is amazing! YOU could be the next household heartthrob with trophies to back your talent up!
September 10, 2012
muy buena! james franco es un groso
June 13, 2012
Very good insight into drug abuse affecting every walk of life WONDERFUL FILM
March 10, 2012
james franco was obviously obsessed with Requiem for a dream & fight club as a youngster, shame his movie was a cheap rip off of both of theses brilliant films.
He some how tries to glorify drugs but goes way over the top into exaggerating certain effects of drugs. its a movie written by a "boy" with sex drugs and rock&roll on the brain, ask me to write a movie this is what i would come up with, should it be made into a movie? NO. The guy cant "act" normal, its like he cant switch off to the fact that there is a camera in front of him.
Don't waste your time, i had to watch it to the end just to see how bad it would get, it didn't disappoint in that regard as it was total shit
February 24, 2012
loved it, was a ting!
November 9, 2011
There has never been such an artistic way to describe jerking off on bunnies.
April 7, 2011
I thought the storyline of this movie was great. Just when you think you know what is going to happen it all changes again. Also I think James Franco is amazing so to see that he was a writer for this, directed AND was the leading role was fantastic!
February 14, 2011
The movie never lives up to its plot's potential
Ryan T.
January 13, 2009
This is a hidden gem. Critics have shrugged this movie off as an overused cliche, but there is so much more passion behind Franco's storyline. The next Requiem for a Dream.
jazza923
October 17, 2008
Compelling and believable story, good direction and the acting is fine. Quite well written. I never lost interest and the characters are richly developed.