A Good Year Reviews

June 11, 2015
If they'd only have cast lead actors who were the same age, I'd have no complaints at all. Marion is lovely but a decade too young for the part!
February 1, 2009
A bit cliched, but a good movie none the less.
April 12, 2015
This was a really good movie. Generally not a big fan of Russell Crowe, but he was really good in this. A great movie all around.
April 5, 2015
I liked it a lot. The cast was great. I would watch Marion Cotillard in any thing. Russel Crowe is great playing understated conflicted characters. Albert Finney was his usual self. I liked the story a lot.
½ April 5, 2015
It was okay. A little slow in parts.
March 13, 2015
'A Good Year' is a nice change of pace for both its director, Ridley Scott, and its star, Russell Crowe, and is a good film for all involved. Scott and Crowe reunite and I really like the results, and they will go on to collaborate a few more times. I really did like this film and I found the overall experience very charming and pleasant. You know how the story will end but that's exactly the point and it is a very pleasant journey getting there and it is actually very well written and quite unique; I really didn't predict anything that happened next. I liked how the story unfolded and it never relied on clichés and the whole film felt very genuine. There is a lot less romantic interplay between the leads than you might expect, the film was more about Skinner reconnecting with a life he left behind, whilst developing good relationships with characters, which was different. All the technicals of this film are excellent, from the inviting cinematography to the warm soundtrack and the fast editing; speaking of, I found the editing style and the type of humour very English-like, as well as the use of the word 'bollocks' and lo and behold, the novel was written by someone from the UK. And Marc Klein does a good job translating it to screen, and he probably shows his nice films to his patients, haha. I did find this film very funny and, like I said, charming, there was a scene where Papa looked like he was going to fall in the pool and I think that would have been funny. The acting in this is very good, Russell Crowe is honestly really charming and funny when given the chance and I liked him a lot. Albert Finney and Freddie Highmore were very smartly used and integrated well into the plot as opposed to just having them be used all at once at the start and they did work well with one another. And yes, Freddie Highmore didn't irritate me so that's something. All the supporting actors are a lot of fun and they all do good jobs and I'm not going to do that thing I usually do where I say they're all good and then go to name them all just so I don't feel like I've left anyone out, they're all good, charming, likeable and well written and that's that. They also all have some form of closure, one of them right before the end credits! Which is something I liked, nobody gets forgotten about and they are integral to the plot.

The only real complaint I have is with the last 15 minutes, the reviewer in me wants to dislike it because it relies on massive coincidences but the person who enjoyed the film that they saw just wants to let the happy ending be and I think I'll stick with that. It's just a little annoying, for a film that seems to go against trappings of its type, the ending seems too clean. It's funny because I said to myself before watching that a romcom that is just under two hours seems a little long and probably should be an hour 45 max, but this film showed me how it can be done. It didn't ruin the film and I'm probably making a bigger deal out of this than necessary but it's just something to note and, hey, it's a film with Russell Crowe that's under 2 hours, can't say I've seen many of those, haha. However, I did like that one subplot involving Abbie Cornish's character resolved itself pretty much soon after it began, because that really didn't need to be any bigger than it was and the filmmakers realised that. And it's probably one of the only films in the romance genre to have a bee and a scorpion jump scare, haha. I've said the word charming and pleasant numerous times but that's just how much I liked it, I really did enjoy this film a lot, it made me smile and I felt good. I would happily watch this again many more times. I remember looking at the poster a while ago and just smiling because it seemed so inviting and nice, I love a well done romance film and this is one of them. Overall, it's just really nice and it's really pleasant.
February 24, 2015
I just like it. 4 stars plus 1 to push up average.
½ February 11, 2015
Yes, Under The Tuscan Sun... with a guy, but still for women...
½ January 18, 2015
Sin ser una obra maestra deja un sabor a buen cine.
January 3, 2015
Experience just granted me with the knowledge to dismiss every single critic from every self-named grandeu critic. My advise? Disregard every critic and form your own opinion, because until you watch it you will know if the picture was worth it or not.
The critics of this movie are just an example of how little understanding of other cultures leave us behind, the right to think that our point of view is the only one worth it and that the vox populi is not always right about something. Some of us consider this a GREAT movie with a taste of nostalgia, memories and lilttle taste of good comprenhension about the life in Provenze.
January 1, 2015
Hyvä musiikki, ihanat maisemat, hyvät näyttelijät, kiva tarina -tykkäsin! ^_^ (Suom. A Good Year - Mainio vuosi)
December 25, 2014
Great. I watch it again and again
½ December 21, 2014
Ein gut gemachter und ein einfacher Film von Ridley Scott. Es ist aber auch eine Werbung für eine französische Provinz. Russell Crowe spielt hier einen richtigen Schleimbeutel der sich dann bessert, nur weil er sich in ein Provinzmädchen verliebt. Hört sich schon ein bisschen Klischeehaft an. Auch die Geschichte von Scott, der eigentlich immer schwerere Filme macht, ist dies eine leichte Kost. Ein Wohlfühlfilm, der einem ein Schmunzeln aufsetzt und der sich nicht allzu ernst nimmt!
December 2, 2014
Exquisite French decor, la dolce vita... what's not to love?
November 16, 2014
This is a fun movie! No, it did not win an Oscar, but it is visually stunning with great cinematography, a fun and sometimes quirky soundtrack that sticks in your head. The acting gets bashed by the critics but ignore them, watch it and I am sure you will enjoy.
½ October 28, 2014
Fun movie for a laid back afternoon.
October 6, 2014
The reasons this movie caught my attention...
1. Marion Cotillard
2. Russell Crowe
3. Ridley Scott
I agree with most of the critics, it obviously wasn't Ridley's best work but I enjoyed this film because 2 of my favorite actors finally were paired together and Crowe's character was living the life I wish I had... lol.
September 12, 2014
I loved this movie. Yes, a bit predictable but a decent story, good acting and an enchanting locale..
August 25, 2014
Critics are wrong about this one. It's a feel good movie if there ever was one.
August 6, 2014
Excellent. Beautiful scenery, top notch acting and delightful script. One of my favorite movies. It's one of those movies that can enjoyed again and again.